Mason Gibson / Jason Borelli

So earlier Mason Gibson posted a graphic saying he was “offered” and I believe also listed his top 3 schools which were (in no order) PSU, Cornell and I think tOSU.

Jason Borelli then tweeted this (not referring to Gibson directly of course but clearly that’s who he was talking about), and then Gibson replied.

Do we think a coach did something illegal here?

IMO, possibly, but my guess is maybe they got some sort of letter from Cornell financial aid saying they’d be eligible for full need-based aid or something (although honestly not sure if that happens this early either).   Of course Cornell coaches don’t have anything to offer athletically, but Erik Gibson is going (or committed, can’t remember) to Cornell and I believe had technically been quoted as saying he got a “full ride,” so I’d assume Mason would be eligible for the same.

But in general, where he goes will be big as it’s possible Bassett(s) may follow.

It’s very Ticky tack, there are kids younger than him committed verbally to schools already. 

these kids go to camps take visits in 8th grade, Mason and the Bassett brothers trained at Ohio State a month or so ago. 

were they offered?! Not formally but we’re they told about how great that school would be for them? 

more than likely. 

12 hours ago, 1032004 said:

So earlier Mason Gibson posted a graphic saying he was “offered” and I believe also listed his top 3 schools which were (in no order) PSU, Cornell and I think tOSU.

Jason Borelli then tweeted this (not referring to Gibson directly of course but clearly that’s who he was talking about), and then Gibson replied.

Do we think a coach did something illegal here?

IMO, possibly, but my guess is maybe they got some sort of letter from Cornell financial aid saying they’d be eligible for full need-based aid or something (although honestly not sure if that happens this early either).   Of course Cornell coaches don’t have anything to offer athletically, but Erik Gibson is going (or committed, can’t remember) to Cornell and I believe had technically been quoted as saying he got a “full ride,” so I’d assume Mason would be eligible for the same.

But in general, where he goes will be big as it’s possible Bassett(s) may follow.

There are entire locked threads on here where presumably grown men are parsing each other's posts and citing competing dictionary definitions of terms used, but now we are going to parse a kid's tweets? I am sure it will all stand up in court.

5 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

There are entire locked threads on here where presumably grown men are parsing each other's posts and citing competing dictionary definitions of terms used, but now we are going to parse a kid's tweets? I am sure it will all stand up in court.

Well to be fair, a highly respected D1 coach was the one that first “parsed the tweet,” not random forum posters. Which I don’t see a problem with, he’s not saying the kid did anything wrong.

12 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

Might have been offered an NIL which wouldn't come from the school anyway 

Which is also illegal I believe if its contingent on coming to a particular school.

Edited by DocBZ

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Well to be fair, a highly respected D1 coach was the one that first “parsed the tweet,” not random forum posters. Which I don’t see a problem with, he’s not saying the kid did anything wrong.

Agree - Good on Borelli to call it out - 99% of the college coaches out there are thinking the same thing Borelli tweeted. Words have meanings even for high school kids. 

36 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Agree - Good on Borelli to call it out - 99% of the college coaches out there are thinking the same thing Borelli tweeted. Words have meanings even for high school kids. 

Especially after UofM and Iowa were 'reported' for violations per @Husker_Du shortly after the Woods transfer.

13 minutes ago, TLS62pa said:

You can offer kids any time, you just can’t initiate contact with them. This is regular in other sports. 

"New rules passed by the NCAA in 2017, 2018 and most recently 2019 have made it illegal for college coaches to offer scholarships to recruits before August 1 or September 1 of their junior year. These new rules apply to all sports except football, W/M basketball and baseball." - NCAA

I heard Borelli turned in a fellow D1 coach for coaching his own son at a high school event, and then bragged about it. He is irrelevant and this just looks like sour grapes to me. 

19 hours ago, Downtown Brown said:

He’s not wrong entirely , but it’s not hard for a coach to tell the kid’s coach/ supporters off the record what they might offer . I wonder if he would care the same if PSU or Cornell who were allegedly involved. 

That is also breaking the same rule. 

6 hours ago, Idaho said:

"New rules passed by the NCAA in 2017, 2018 and most recently 2019 have made it illegal for college coaches to offer scholarships to recruits before August 1 or September 1 of their junior year. These new rules apply to all sports except football, W/M basketball and baseball." - NCAA

Welllllll nevermind then :)

6 hours ago, Idaho said:

Yeah but what about offering a 6 figure NIL deal, can do that anytime correct?  ;_;

3 hours ago, ionel said:

Yeah but what about offering a 6 figure NIL deal, can do that anytime correct?  ;_;

Yep - high school kids can  and are getting NIL deals now outside of any HS or college affiliation. It is different from state to state how that is done.Obviously basketball, football, and soccer athletes will score the most with HS NIL.  Here is an article about Nike giving the Thompson sisters the first NIL deals for HS kids. 

https://www.si.com/high-school/2022/05/17/california-sisters-become-first-hs-students-to-sign-nil-deal-with-nike-per-report

15 hours ago, TheHeel said:

I heard Borelli turned in a fellow D1 coach for coaching his own son at a high school event, and then bragged about it. He is irrelevant and this just looks like sour grapes to me. 

He was a huge part in saving Stanford, how is that irrelevant?

On 6/11/2022 at 12:39 PM, Idaho said:

Explain this to me. Why not say just September 1.  Won’t that also cover August 1?

18 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

He was already at a new job when the program was actually saved 

Pretty sure he knew he wasn't going to be welcomed back even if he knew they were getting saved.   Mostly because of everything he did to help save them and making the administration look bad.

2 hours ago, gowrestle said:

Explain this to me. Why not say just September 1.  Won’t that also cover August 1?

I believe that might be a D2/D1 difference or possibly a sport difference.  It would make sense to make one date universal.

Borelli should keep lobbing out cheating accusations against bigger programs on twitter.  Make it his entire brand, alienate everyone.  It might be the only way anyone will ever remember American still has a wrestling team.  

Jokes aside, I understand the frustration of coaches at the "have nots" feeling like they've already lost the game before it started.  Because they have.