Mason Gibson / Jason Borelli

42 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

To me the first and second of these "dust ups" are intrinsically linked.  Strayer has a lot of respect within the PA wrestling community.  The level of sanctions imposed seemed to be way over the top.  The most recent issue is something that - as @gimpeltfhas pointed out, could be the case of using the wrong word as a young teenager.  even Ivy Leaguers use the wrong word from time to time, believe it or not!  As of now I feel nothing but empathy for the family.

You could be right that it was an innocent mistake and I've written elsewhere that the extent of the McCort sanctions were an overreach.  But they're no strangers to dubious accusations, first of Strayer lying and covering up a race incident, and then that District 6 was lying about there being an athletic motivation to the McCort transfer.  Now the "offer" thing's a lie?  I guess I'll give the kid the benefit of a doubt, he's just a kid, but I'll admit I'm not exactly sold on the family's candor.

Edited by BAC

36 minutes ago, nom said:

Couple things — fin aid doesn’t use the year before college income for parents.  2 years before now.  So tax forms are available.  This changed a few years ago.

- Cornell doesn’t offer athletic scholarships.  I don’t know that NCAA can restrict what a school communicates for need based aid.  Can they?

Another q - I get that a coach can’t reach out to a prospect prior to this time line, but can a prospect reach out to a coach and if so can the coach talk to them?

Prior-Prior tax returns used on FAFSA would still be 2022 tax return for a 2024-25 enrollment start date. You can't put info in an estimator to get a valid estimate until next Winter/Spring.  An estimator is not an offer from the school. 

Here is an athlete and parent website that makes it simple - This particular article is 2019 - but I don't think anything has changed much and there are other articles within the site. 

https://www.ncsasports.org/blog/2019/04/26/ncaa-di-recruiting-rules-early-recruiting/

Wow.  Thanks for the link.  Zero communication from coaches. None. Before June 15 of Sophomore year.  

So strict it seems to even imply ‘hello’ when passing on street is a no go.

From link:  The new rules prevent any communication between a student-athlete or parent/guardian and a DI college coach before June 15 of sophomore year. 

1 hour ago, nom said:

Wow.  Thanks for the link.  Zero communication from coaches. None. Before June 15 of Sophomore year.  

So strict it seems to even imply ‘hello’ when passing on street is a no go.

From link:  The new rules prevent any communication between a student-athlete or parent/guardian and a DI college coach before June 15 of sophomore year. 

Do those rules apply to RTC practices as well?

1 hour ago, nom said:

Anyone have the Mason Gibson graphic?  I can’t seem to find it.  I am Twitter hick dumb.

Believe he deleted it.  It had the word “offered” circled while also listing his top 3 of Cornell, PSU and tOSU.

5 hours ago, BAC said:

You could be right that it was an innocent mistake and I've written elsewhere that the extent of the McCort sanctions were an overreach.  But they're no strangers to dubious accusations, first of Strayer lying and covering up a race incident, and then that District 6 was lying about there being an athletic motivation to the McCort transfer.  Now the "offer" thing's a lie?  I guess I'll give the kid the benefit of a doubt, he's just a kid, but I'll admit I'm not exactly sold on the family's candor.

Because we have details of each event, I look at at the other way.  The family is being unfairly picked on by those who are jealous.  An all too common tale where the folks in the wrestling community who never had what it takes try to sabotage those that do.

The McCort kids seriously need a public relations team. Their own postings is what gets them in trouble.

I also would be shocked if Gibson is a priority target for either PSU or OSU at this point. 

On 6/13/2022 at 11:27 AM, Idaho said:

Exactly.... Stanford announced the cut of 11 sports on July 8 2020.... Borelli was hired at America on April 13, 2021.... Stanford announced the reversal of cut sports on May 18.  He spent an entire season trying to get Stanford wrestling back - in the end he was successful... and you are correct, when you have opportunities come your way that feed your family , you take them. 

Borelli never had a shot at this recruit. Why is he getting involved? Seems like a teenage drama. Is he coaching college now? 

6 minutes ago, TheHeel said:

Borelli never had a shot at this recruit. Why is he getting involved? Seems like a teenage drama. Is he coaching college now? 

If you read the post you quoted, he was hired at America last year.... if you read previous posts I said it was not someone he was recruiting...if you read other posts it's good that coaches call this out regardless of whether they are recruiting the kid or not. It's not teenage drama,  It's called accountability,  which every sport needs. BTW how's the recruiting for the Heels? 

15 hours ago, BAC said:

Apparently they're also using the kids to speak out in favor of "school choice"

https://www.federationforchildren.org/voices-archive/erik-gibson/

19 hours ago, Idaho said:

Ok - I didnt' see that part where he tweeted that his offer was from the financial aid calculator, my bad. Perhaps a kid who is going to Cornell should use the correct definition of offer before he tweets things that create controversy from D1 coaches. 

Besides, everyone knows 18 year old kids are never hyperbolic on Twitter.

3 hours ago, Idaho said:

If you read the post you quoted, he was hired at America last year.... if you read previous posts I said it was not someone he was recruiting...if you read other posts it's good that coaches call this out regardless of whether they are recruiting the kid or not. It's not teenage drama,  It's called accountability,  which every sport needs. BTW how's the recruiting for the Heels? 

so he has no reason to bring this up on twitter other than to stir the pot? isn't there a more appropriate place to do this? isn't doing this on twitter a way to cause drama? seems like its intentionally drama creation. no?

4 hours ago, TheHeel said:

so he has no reason to bring this up on twitter other than to stir the pot? isn't there a more appropriate place to do this? isn't doing this on twitter a way to cause drama? seems like its intentionally drama creation. no?

I guess you could put it that way, but he could just be trying to shed more light on something that he may think is a bigger issue

if he is trying to shine light on a bigger issue, perhaps working with his compliance department at his college is more appropriate than trolling a high school kid that borelli wasn't even recruiting. As a parent, I would NEVER want to send my athlete to a petty twitter warrior like that. Shows major character flaws. Bad for the sport and bad for his own brand, but he thinks it is good? 

11 minutes ago, TheHeel said:

if he is trying to shine light on a bigger issue, perhaps working with his compliance department at his college is more appropriate than trolling a high school kid that borelli wasn't even recruiting. As a parent, I would NEVER want to send my athlete to a petty twitter warrior like that. Shows major character flaws. Bad for the sport and bad for his own brand, but he thinks it is good? 

Lol, he didn’t even name the kid in his tweet.  

Remember when Cael called someone a dummy on twitter?  I thought it was great, but I think that’d certainly qualify as a “petty twitter warrior”

32 minutes ago, pawrestler said:

To perhaps close out the thread, Gibson commits to Cornell

https://twitter.com/mason_gibson1/status/1537243414630383616?s=21&t=1TTNZmnmuOXavnYsNqL3rw

Does it close out the thread though?  Kid commits on the first day coaches are allowed to communicate (which was hinted at by Minnow before today) after saying he was previously “offered” but then retracts it.   I know his brother’s on the team, but it kinda seems like Borrelli may have been onto something here…

Besides, did he not learn from his previous wording mistake?  Aren’t you supposed to say you’re committed “to the admissions process” for Ivies?

Edited by 1032004

14 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

And there you go attacking Borrelli on what, his sixth or seventh forum handle? Don’t buy into it guys, TheHeel is the same noted Borrelli hater just with a different handle.

Pay no mind to him, he’s only back to start trouble again.

I didn’t realize we had any dedicated coach haters besides for Brands and Cael…