hammerlockthree

Yianni is going to medal

21 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

Sorry if I missed this but why no Otoguru?

He sat out the Emperor's Cup, and I heard he is skipping the Meiji Cup as well.  The Japanese Federation would have to make an exception to allow him to go to Worlds if he skips both of those.  If he changes his mind and enters the Meiji Cup, then we should expect to see him at Worlds too.

Yianni is part of the field, and right now, pretty much everyone is in the field.  There's no clear favorite.  As such, Yianni could DNP, medal, or win the whole darn thing.  

I'm also leaning towards medal.  Which type I do not care.  Just rooting for the guy. 

He’s one of those guys where, when I watch him wrestle domestically, my brain can’t believe he didn’t medal last time. Likewise, my brain will be dumbfounded this time if he comes home without hardware. I know last year was only his first crack at it, but it made me reflect upon the different tiers these athletes are dealing with in competition.

16 hours ago, Yellow_Medal said:

He’s one of those guys where, when I watch him wrestle domestically, my brain can’t believe he didn’t medal last time. Likewise, my brain will be dumbfounded this time if he comes home without hardware. I know last year was only his first crack at it, but it made me reflect upon the different tiers these athletes are dealing with in competition.

I'm with you on this, re: YD.  But him coming home empty-handed had more to do with the way the brackets were drawn than there being tiers within the division.  YD was on the same side of the bracket as Shakiev, the eventual champ, and Tumur Ochir (1st bronze) and Tevanyan.  If he were on the other half, YD would have medaled.  Sebass was on the other half and got 7th place.  I believe YD is better than the Polish guy who beat Sebass by 1 point and would love to see him go against Osmonov, who took the 2nd bronze. 

I sometimes feel apprehensive about us posting our wrestlers on message boards. I fear we might tip off international wrestlers about ours. Anyone else ever get the feeling posting might give away somthing to the world lol.

23 minutes ago, Sublime607 said:

I sometimes feel apprehensive about us posting our wrestlers on message boards. I fear we might tip off international wrestlers about ours. Anyone else ever get the feeling posting might give away somthing to the world lol.

Not once they see how much I know wrestling.

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Not once they see how much I know wrestling.

I'm with you on that boat. But there are a few posters on this forum that know what they are talking about and discuss style and techniques.

22 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Yianni is good enough to medal but he's still liable to drop a match to half the guys in the bracket.  It's the same problem he's had all along. 

It would surprise me if he won gold.  Any other result would earn a head nod and a, "yeah, makes sense" from me.  

I agree with everything but want to note that this is the best version of Yianni we’ve ever seen. Without Russia and Belarus, gold is not unfathomable. He has more varied attacks, controls the center better, and now has legit senior level turns. He is much less reliant on being the most flexible and comfortable in awkward positions. Also, Yianni is finally a man and will be as big as anyone he wrestlers at 65 kg. 

My biggest concern is that he often needs a match to wrestle well. He has the biggest delta in performance in best of threes of any American. He can lose to a guy and tech him minutes later. I wish he had the same ability to adjust midmatch, which I hope will come with more experience. 

1 hour ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I agree with everything but want to note that this is the best version of Yianni we’ve ever seen. Without Russia and Belarus, gold is not unfathomable. He has more varied attacks, controls the center better, and now has legit senior level turns. He is much less reliant on being the most flexible and comfortable in awkward positions. Also, Yianni is finally a man and will be as big as anyone he wrestlers at 65 kg. 

My biggest concern is that he often needs a match to wrestle well. He has the biggest delta in performance in best of threes of any American. He can lose to a guy and tech him minutes later. I wish he had the same ability to adjust midmatch, which I hope will come with more experience. 

Hope you're right, but in order to qualify he wrestled Pletcher, Parker, and Henderson.  That's it.   I like those guys more than most, but it's not exactly a murderer's row of internationally credentialed competition. 

12 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Hope you're right, but in order to qualify he wrestled Pletcher, Parker, and Henderson.  That's it.   I like those guys more than most, but it's not exactly a murderer's row of internationally credentialed competition. 

Agreed, not a real test. What he did to Joey McKenna is more indicative. 

App has been not working, but on the laptop today.... 

See Henderson vs Yainni 1. 
If it was a best of 3, I'd be real encouraged by his chances, after figuring someone out . 
Hoping to lose to the right guy on the front side to be brought back for bronze is a tough proposition. 
He could medal, could go 0-1 meh.... 

He may medal in a depleted field but he frankly doesn't look any better to me this year than he did last year.  The potential is there but his defense is still porous, as Henderson showed.  His performances are also more uneven than most, as other pointed out, and at Worlds you don't have the luxury of a bad match.  I'll be rooting for him but I'd put his odds of medaling at about the same as Gross and Zain:  possible, but I'm not expecting it.

On 6/11/2022 at 8:08 PM, Red95 said:

He has an uphill climb but also has the best international record of any US 65kg wrestler in years. I’m optimistic he breaks the drought this fall. 

Any matches with Otoguro?

On 6/14/2022 at 2:01 PM, BAC said:

He may medal in a depleted field but he frankly doesn't look any better to me this year than he did last year.  The potential is there but his defense is still porous, as Henderson showed.  His performances are also more uneven than most, as other pointed out, and at Worlds you don't have the luxury of a bad match.  I'll be rooting for him but I'd put his odds of medaling at about the same as Gross and Zain:  possible, but I'm not expecting it.

I would say his chances of medaling are a little better than Zain at 70kg, but I get your point.  61kg is going to be weak without Russia.  

On 6/13/2022 at 2:38 PM, wrestlingnerd said:

Agreed, not a real test. What he did to Joey McKenna is more indicative. 

He is 48-8 internationally, with wins over Russians, Georgians and Indians.

2 minutes ago, NJDan said:

He is 48-8 internationally, with wins over Russians, Georgians and Indians.

Does he have wins over Russians, Georgians and Indians at Worlds? I mean Senior Worlds, not age group competitions. I ask because this line of reasoning always comes up with other wrestlers and I don't want to shortchange Yianni. If he deserves such merit we should celebrate it. 

15 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Does he have wins over Russians, Georgians and Indians at Worlds? I mean Senior Worlds, not age group competitions. I ask because this line of reasoning always comes up with other wrestlers and I don't want to shortchange Yianni. If he deserves such merit we should celebrate it. 

It seems he has only been to one Senior Worlds, where he lost to an Armenian and did not face a Russian. He is also just 23.