Sign in to follow this  
BobDole

Rank the Rule Changes you want

In ancient greek wrestling, everything was worth 1 point: Exposure = 1 pt, Push-out = 1 pt, Tap-out = 1 pt. First to 3 points wins.

To keep it simple, a 1 point system could still be used. In Senior level championship matches, first to 10 or 12 points wins. In repechage or Juinor level matches, that number could be lowered. This makes confusing things like clocks, tech falls, and overtime irrelevant.

- Takedown 1 pt

- Exposure 1 pt

- Throw 1 pt

- Reversal 1 pt

- Push-out 1 pt

- Penalty 1 pt

Combinations would then be worth the combined value. For instance, a throw (+1) that results in back exposure (+1) and a takedown (+1) is thus worth 3 pts.

To keep it simple, a 1 point system could still be used. In Senior level championship matches, first to 10 or 12 points wins. In repechage or Juinor level matches, that number could be lowered. This makes confusing things like clocks, tech falls, and overtime irrelevant.

- Takedown 1 pt

- Exposure 1 pt

- Throw 1 pt

- Reversal 1 pt

- Push-out 1 pt

- Penalty 1 pt

Combinations would then be worth the combined value. For instance, a throw (+1) that results in back exposure (+1) and a takedown (+1) is thus worth 3 pts.

I like it.

This system would actually create an incentive to score -- if you're passive, and your quarterfinal match takes 20 minutes, while your opponent's took 5, you're going to be exhausted for your semifinal match, and your opponent will be fresh.

Championship matches would likely take forever, because that incentive would not exist. I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or a bad thing. Fitting the matches into a TV slot would be problematic.

Tournament organizers would hate it, because scheduling the rounds would be a nightmare.

There are four main rule changes that everyone is up in arms about, rank them in order from 1-4 with one being the one that needs changed the most, while four is the one that you could live with staying.

Here are my rankings

1. 2 3's end a match

-This needs to be changed immediately, no question this can have a detrimental affect on the action.

2. 7 point tech fall

- Way too low, needs to be 10points

3. Overtime/criteria for tied match

-I think the other two need changed more than this does

4. 5 point throw ending a match

- I could live with having two types of "knockout" punches and a five is very rare on the freestyle side of things

1. 7pt tech fall, agreed way too low. 10 is better, but I'm comfortable with a the high folk style 15. Simmons could come back from a 7pt deficit.

2. It's a tie between the 5 and the (2) 3s. We already have a "knock out" it's called a "fall". The fall should trump everything but submission - which I don't want to see in our civilized sport.

4. I like overtime, but maybe break it into 3 minute periods, so we can mop the sweat off.

I love the takedown being worth more than the push out. Those posting that everything could be worth one point - Have you ever attempted a 5pt throw? It's scary!

I don't know what to think of multiple circles, but it seems complicated. I've been annoyed enough by the tip-toe game at the edge of one circle. I really don't want to be concerned with tip-toeing around multiple ones.

More carrots, fewer sticks. That's agreeable. So is simplicity for the sake of fans.

I just re-watched Angle's match for the first time since it happened. How did he win that? (rhetorical, please don't bother explaining it to me). I appreciate the new rules much more than 1996.

I also favor the 2 pt TD if we still have a push out. A setup, wrestling move and finish that is drilled repeatedly thousands of times should be worth more than a simple push.

The rule suggestions that may extend a match too long will never work because out leadership does not care to watch the sport that they have bastardized over the years with lack of consistency with constant stupid rule changes. They want the matches and tournament to end quickly so they can party at the hotel. Hopefully they too will become fans again and want to actually watch. Then we may see full repcharge and a true 3rd. Wild also hope to see additional weights at least for non Olympic years.

Those posting that everything could be worth one point - Have you ever attempted a 5pt throw? It's scary!.

I like 5-point throws too, but it's all relative. If all points were worth 1, then a throw that resulted in exposure and a takedown would be worth 3 points--that's 3x more than an exposure or a takedown alone. Whereas a 5-point throw today is only worth 2.5x more than a takedown or exposure alone. Oh wait, no, a 5-point throw ends the match. Oh yeah, but that's only if 5 points puts you ahead.

They originally said they wanted to simplify the rules. But they really haven't done that. Well, maybe a little bit with the cumulative scoring, but that's about it.

I like the 2 pt td.

Intrigued by the inner circle idea above to quickly force a score. Kinda like it.

Also tend to favor 5 pt throw rule. Big moves, big highlights! I think it promotes risk taking.

Uncertain on 7 pt tech. I naturally gravitate to 10 pt but at same time it provides incentive for leading wrestler to poor it on and finish match quickly vs sitting on a lead.

Not a fan of 2 3-pt throws finishing a match. Not awesome enough to deserve it.

It's easy to think of rule changes from a "creating action" point of view, but I think simplicity is VERY important if we ever want to reach a broader fan-base. That's why having a simple and an objective as possible scoring system is important.

Step-out is objective. Takedown is pretty objective. Reversal is pretty objective. Exposure is pretty objective. Feet to back is pretty objective. Cumulative scoring is objective and easy to follow. Overtime is simple, first score wins.

I'm actually opposed to 5 point moves as I don't think there's enough differentiation and objectivity between a 5pt move and a 3pt move.

I know a lot of wrestling people that are behind the simpler is better movement and would love to get rid of all the "extra" rules, and just see what happens if wrestlers have 1's, 2's, and 3's for 6 minutes to see who can score more.

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this or not, but a 5-point move ending a match, but only if you're winning, is the same thing as a fall ending a match, but only if you're winning. Either make it consistent, or don't make it at all.

Wow, it's pretty silly when you put it that way.

The fall is our civilized "submission", holding an opponent on their back rendering them defenseless. I think it deserves to be our only deal-breaker.

The argument is this: high scoring matches with multiple throws won't occur without these rules, so that matches like that one might not have been as high scoring as it was, because Kennedy might have attempted less risky attacks.

I don't agree with the rule, but that is the argument.

That's ridiculous. It is a blatant BS explanation to shorten a match and lower the importance of being in good shape.

They specifically rule out a high number of throws since by getting 1 big throw for five or just 2 quick 3's the match is over, no more throw opportunities for anyone.