southend

Past A+ posters

BraunMan was probably the worst poster i've ever seen on here. what a dope. knew nothing.

Brother Morris was my favorite poster with amazing insight. Mark Schultz came across as the most bitter poster even though he's a legend.

Flap's posts took the longest to read because you needed to decipher his personal writing style. lol

DF was the ultimate anti hero. His words became legendary on this board and I agree things aren't the same without them.

On 6/22/2022 at 9:57 AM, Tofurky said:

I know I am going pretty far back now, but how about Big? He was a serious troll, but his douchey self-importance (was he the guy who beat Pat Cummins at one point?) lead to some good board fodder.

Big,He was definitely” Mr. Know it ALL” and ready to defend himself with the self importance. Kept the thin skinned guys wound up. 

6 hours ago, jackwebster said:

Somebody remind me of billytickets/ guillermobilletes schtick.

Billytickets wasn't a schtick, he was an actual person - he used to pester me on AIM back in the day and had an offshoot of this board (which he spammed) that promoted a lot of Bob Preusse's stuff, despite their contentious relationship. The name was from what he did - was a ticket broker from what I recall. 

Guillermobilletas' name is derived from it - they are not the same. 

On 6/19/2022 at 11:33 AM, Elevator said:

Allen Brown - sometimes posting as Stove Pipe on wrestling social media - has gone on to his reward but knew a lot about the sport and college wrestling and had a deep passion for it.  John Harmon, a wonderful person and for many years the volunteer EIWA sports information guru, also has gone on to his reward.  I cannot recall how active they were in this forum, but certainly in the sport direclty and on social media.  

I hate to bring this up, but when John referred to The Mat forums, the word "cesspool" was invariably included in the sentence.

On 6/16/2022 at 8:39 AM, MedicineMan said:

Roger Federer is, he's arguably the greatest tennis player in history

Rod Laver. If pro's were able to play everything back then his record would be #1.

2 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

Did you know his left forearm measured about an inch and a half bigger around than his right.?

I was a towel boy at a racket club that hosted the Carte Blanche Tennis Legends Championship that Rod Laver played in. The difference in his forearms was cartoonish. 

Edited by Wrestleknownothing

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I was a towel boy at a racket club that hosted the Carte Blanche Tennis Legends Championship that Rod Laver played in. The difference in his forearms was cartoonish. 

True.  But I think Guillermo Vilas was the most extreme.  Saw him once up close at a tournament in the 80s and thought there was something wrong with his other arm. It literally looked lame because of the comparison.  

8 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

Did you know his left forearm measured about an inch and a half bigger around than his right.?

Well, Ferderer's left measures only about 2" in circumference. It's freakish and always reminds me of Orin Incandenza in Infinite Jest.

image.png.3334ed033af86661aad09207b07be51a.png

image.png.7ab73fb9bacd9558cd0db8c0384e8d77.png

Edited by jackwebster

On 6/22/2022 at 6:57 AM, Tofurky said:

I know I am going pretty far back now, but how about Big? He was a serious troll, but his douchey self-importance (was he the guy who beat Pat Cummins at one point?) lead to some good board fodder.

He is yet another one who won't be posting here anymore. 

On 6/26/2022 at 10:32 AM, TripNSweep said:

He is yet another one who won't be posting here anymore. 

If I remember correctly, the human behind the "Big" moniker was "outed" in someway which had something to do with Vegas. It seemed to be a meltdown point, but that was a while ago.

On 6/19/2022 at 8:33 AM, Elevator said:

Allen Brown - sometimes posting as Stove Pipe on wrestling social media - has gone on to his reward but knew a lot about the sport and college wrestling and had a deep passion for it.  John Harmon, a wonderful person and for many years the volunteer EIWA sports information guru, also has gone on to his reward.  I cannot recall how active they were in this forum, but certainly in the sport direclty and on social media.  

Harmon:  a true standup guy, who put much of his personal fortune back into Lehigh University.

TrollPipe:  a drunken blowhard, who merely posted linked SID articles.  He was also infamous for self-appointing himself as the admin of the Lehigh page on the WR forum, and used it as his personal position of power to torment Lehigh fans.  on we go...

Edited by lu_alum

1 hour ago, Tofurky said:

If I remember correctly, the human behind the "Big" moniker was "outed" in someway which had something to do with Vegas. It seemed to be a meltdown point, but that was a while ago.

It wouldn't surprise me honestly. I had assumed from the way he talked about things he had some connections like that which may have had something to do with him shuffling loose his mortal coil.