IronChef

Morgan State Coach

1 hour ago, IronChef said:

According to their jobs website, today is the application deadline to be the head coach at Morgan State. Has anyone heard any rumors on who might have applied or would be a good candidate?

Bring back the dashiki! I can't find a picture of the old coach James Phillips in his colorful attire.

No rumors,  but some I think these guys could make solid options  (A- previous hc, B-  big name assistant already on East coast,  C- one of the top HS coaches):

Kerry McCoy

Jamill Kelly 

Cornell Robinson  

Some outside the box thoughts on coaches (guys I'd really love to see in the mix ...but have solid gigs where they are at):

OT Johnson -  DII UNCP Coach.  Great energy with dyamic capability of technician and recruiter.  

Marques Gales-  CACC   Sac. City College HC.  Formerly was HC at DIII  Trinity College in CT where he was the DIII Rookie Coach of the Year in 2014.  (Has East Coast experience, but is back in California where he was a competitor at CACC and DII level).    

Omi Acosta -  NAIA Life HC;   Dude knows how to recruit and produce.  Give him the budge Morgan State will have and his connections from the South as well as with Juco,  and he'd have them up and running asap.  

47 minutes ago, Swayz said:

No rumors,  but some I think these guys could make solid options  (A- previous hc, B-  big name assistant already on East coast,  C- one of the top HS coaches):

Kerry McCoy

Jamill Kelly 

Cornell Robinson  

Some outside the box thoughts on coaches (guys I'd really love to see in the mix ...but have solid gigs where they are at):

OT Johnson -  DII UNCP Coach.  Great energy with dyamic capability of technician and recruiter.  

Marques Gales-  CACC   Sac. City College HC.  Formerly was HC at DIII  Trinity College in CT where he was the DIII Rookie Coach of the Year in 2014.  (Has East Coast experience, but is back in California where he was a competitor at CACC and DII level).    

Omi Acosta -  NAIA Life HC;   Dude knows how to recruit and produce.  Give him the budge Morgan State will have and his connections from the South as well as with Juco,  and he'd have them up and running asap.  

Also can't forget Shelton Mack asst at Columbia and former Pitt Panther.  He'd  be dam solid!

12 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

What are the odds August Wesley has not only applied but lobbied for the job. 

I'm banned from posting on his fake wiki account.  I changed that he placed in Sunkist Kids to Capri-Sun Kids.  Also says he was some NE  Champ or something,  so I put the NSEW  Misdirection Incontenental Champion and some other stuff.  He's a crook.   But with lack of some schools having applicants,  I would not be shocked to see him emerge again.  Think he is pretty much hit the crap list in Iowa, Kansas, and Misssouri...but I honestly can see him showing up somewhere again.   Which will give me something to be super vocal about. 

4 minutes ago, Pinnum said:

I think I am out of the loop here... Anyone care to share?

From what I understand, he has overstated his resume in such a way that has led to him being hired - and then relieved of his duties shortly thereafter - on a number of different occasions.  

20 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

From what I understand, he has overstated his resume in such a way that has led to him being hired - and then relieved of his duties shortly thereafter - on a number of different occasions.  

Thanks.  I googled him and noticed a lot of announcements of his hiring to lead programs.

He ran Iowa State club team from his couch in Cali.    Was hired to take over NWKTC  (NJCAA)  and wasn't around while team ran afoul (dismissed before 1st semester even over).   I believe he then landed at Wheeling Jesuit (DII)  and was gone within a month.  Then a Pharmacy College in St. Louis adding wrestling announced his hiring and many of us lost our collective crap and he got canned pretty quick when individuals from the local sector all the way to higher brass in coaching circles called the school out and asked WTF were they thinking?  

52 minutes ago, Swayz said:

He ran Iowa State club team from his couch in Cali.    Was hired to take over NWKTC  (NJCAA)  and wasn't around while team ran afoul (dismissed before 1st semester even over).   I believe he then landed at Wheeling Jesuit (DII)  and was gone within a month.  Then a Pharmacy College in St. Louis adding wrestling announced his hiring and many of us lost our collective crap and he got canned pretty quick when individuals from the local sector all the way to higher brass in coaching circles called the school out and asked WTF were they thinking?  

He is also the President of the Cabo Verde national wrestling federation and I think either him and his son, or both even, attempted to get an at large qualifying spot in the Olympics. 

4 hours ago, Swayz said:

I think he'd be qualified to coach "Wheeling Jesuit" or "Pharmacy College in St. Louis."  These are usually part time jobs.  But sounds like the main issue is that he is a pioneer of remote work. 

6 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

I think he'd be qualified to coach "Wheeling Jesuit" or "Pharmacy College in St. Louis."  These are usually part time jobs.  But sounds like the main issue is that he is a pioneer of remote work. 

It isn't that he's unqualified. It's the heaping mounds of BS and self aggrandizing he uses to get into these positions. There are probably dozens if not more former wrestlers who have better credentials or are better coaches.