IronChef

New D1 wrestling rules

Check it out here: https://intermatwrestle.com/articles/25866
Let me know if you think I’ve misinterpreted anything. I’m taking “compete as an individual” to mean unattached.

highlights:

1. Redshirting freshman can compete attached in up to five events. Seems like this is only available for first year college students. 
2. No unattached competition in first semester for any freshmen. Seems like a redshirting freshman could compete in opens as one of their allowed five events. 
3. All scholarships must be at least 20%. A wrestler in his last two years can receive less than 20% as long as he wasn’t on any aid scholarship previously. 

Could this be even more of a dilemma for the selection committee come NCAA time if teams utilize this with multiple wrestlers?

If a true freshman can't compete unattached in the 1st semester do they have to use 1 of their 5 opportunities if they wrestle in say, the MSU open? 

Seems like solutions in search of a problem? Who cares if RS kids compete in opens unattached? 

Haines could go at 5x B1G duals, C&C could assess, and keep him in RS if he’s not high-AA-ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like solutions in search of a problem? Who cares if RS kids compete in opens unattached? 

It's about academics and retention, according to the document. I can a see a case for not wanting first semester freshman taking themselves to open tournaments but instead having them go officially with the team. The five allowed events for redshirt freshmen means they can now travel with the team, wear the uniform, have their expenses paid, and have a coach in the corner.

1 hour ago, IronChef said:

It's about academics and retention, according to the document. I can a see a case for not wanting first semester freshman taking themselves to open tournaments but instead having them go officially with the team. The five allowed events for redshirt freshmen means they can now travel with the team, wear the uniform, have their expenses paid, and have a coach in the corner.

This, my true freshman year my parents basically drove 6 hours to my college then an average of 4 to the open so I could compete extra

1 hour ago, IronChef said:

If the starter gets hurt and you need to plug someone in, then yes.

Edit - Got it: The wording of the OP was a little confusing. 

So... you can compete in 5 dates without it being a season of competition.

Does the below statement from the article indicate that freshman  cannot compete at all first semester or is "outside competition"  meaning outside of their schools scheduled events? 

No Competition During First Term -- Men's Wrestling. In men's wrestling, a student-athlete shall not participate in outside competition as an individual during the student athlete's first full-time term of collegiate enrollment. 

Edited by Idaho

22 hours ago, Idaho said:

Are there 5 opportunities for redshirt freshmen second semester? 

Yes.  By the way the rule looks  they can RS  and be in  a dual for example.  I think we will see some schools willing to bring in say a DII or DIII to dual the "RS"  Guys.   It won't count against them,  and they get experience.  Maybe you see RS Teams vs RS Teams,  and even some jucos being able to get duals with bigger schools.