Sign in to follow this  
JerseyJoey

Taylor is never going to beat Dake

I don't see how you can watch the match from the WTTs and come away with any other conclusion. The gap is getting bigger, not smaller. There were 2 times when Taylor was in the exact position that he wanted to be in and Dake STILL was the one that scored.

I guess it's time for Taylor to retire then. Why bother even competing his senior year. He'll just tack on another meaningless national title. I mean he can't beat Burroughs or Dake, so why bother even competing anymore, or even getting out of bed in the morning for that matter. :roll:

Barring injury, Taylor will never be better than Dake. Period. Oh, and I have no dog in that fight.

Maybe Dake will never beat Burroughs. :D

You know what, they'll all beat each other eventually. Taylor is far from filling out strength wise.

Barring injury, Taylor will never be better than Dake. Period. Oh, and I have no dog in that fight.

Maybe Dake will never beat Burroughs. :D

You know what, they'll all beat each other eventually. Taylor is far from filling out strength wise.

jinx

Taylor is clearly improving, but we just hadn't seen Dake's ceiling, and I'll bet we still haven't.

Taylor still has baby muscles. He's got to do something about that.

There's no guarantee that Taylor will ever have the horsepower to beat Dake. They're the same age, right? Dake never redshirted? Who is to say the gap won't get bigger? I'd say that's more likely, to be honest.

I think JB is WAY ahead of either, but I could see Dake closing the gap. Taylor? Not so much. He has 1 NCAA title in three years, and the year he won it, it was a relatively weak weight class.

Considering that their first match in freestyle ended with Dake pinning Taylor and their second freestyle match ended with Dake winning 7-4, I would say Taylor is narrowing the gap instead of it widening.

Considering that their first match in freestyle ended with Dake pinning Taylor and their second freestyle match ended with Dake winning 4-2 in OT, I would say Taylor is narrowing the gap instead of it widening.

When did Dake beat Taylor 4:2 in OT?

Considering that their first match in freestyle ended with Dake pinning Taylor and their second freestyle match ended with Dake winning 4-2 in OT, I would say Taylor is narrowing the gap instead of it widening.

When did Dake beat Taylor 4:2 in OT?

Disregard, I typed the wrong score in. I typed the Dake-Howe score instead of the Dake-Taylor Score. Regardless, that is narrowing the gap still.

so, exactly the same # of titles burroughs had heading in to his sr year?

horrible point.

how many titles did obe have? or rulon? or jamil kelly?

My point is there seems to be an irrational level of confidence that DT will ever be the best there is. He's an AWESOME college wrestler, no doubt. That said, he's never been the best kid in the country (hell, IMO he's not the best on his own team, and never has been). He's 1-3 in pursuit of national titles, he's 0 for freaking 5 against Dake (and STILL his fans are convinced he's "right there" with Dake), and he got thrown around by JB.

There's no shame in being not quite the best, and frankly, that's what I see for this kid long term. He'll win a national title this year, and join a long list of 2X national champs. Beyond that, unless he really grows or shrinks, his career will whither away.

Taylor is clearly improving, but we just hadn't seen Dake's ceiling, and I'll bet we still haven't.

Taylor still has baby muscles. He's got to do something about that.

There's no guarantee that Taylor will ever have the horsepower to beat Dake. They're the same age, right? Dake never redshirted? Who is to say the gap won't get bigger? I'd say that's more likely, to be honest.

I think JB is WAY ahead of either, but I could see Dake closing the gap. Taylor? Not so much. He has 1 NCAA title in three years, and the year he won it, it was a relatively weak weight class.

I don't disagree with this.

Is it my imagination, or has Dake gotten a lot stronger looking (noticably thicker in the shoulders, arms and thighs) since his first match with Taylor? He even looks bigger than he was in March at the NCAAs. Taylor has put on muscle, too, but not as much as Dake.

Is it my imagination, or has Dake gotten a lot stronger looking (noticably thicker in the shoulders, arms and thighs) since his first match with Taylor? He even looks bigger than he was in March at the NCAAs. Taylor has put on muscle, too, but not as much as Dake.

It's not your imagination. Dake is legitimately becoming huge. Must be genetic. He has packed on muscle continuously over the past four years. And each time somebody says he can't fill into the next weight class, whether it be 165 or now 74kg, he not only fills out but quickly becomes pretty big for the class. Taylor on the other hand only looks like a taller version of his former self. He still looks like a kid. He simply might not be able to pack on muscle.

NJWC...it's understandable if you don't think DT will ever be 'the guy'. i just think justifying that point by listing college credentials isn't a good parallel. jamil wasn't ever an aa.

Dake - he looked HUGE. that includes his legs which looked soo freakin powerful. is it conceivable that he moves up to 84? what would he have to get to? 200lbs? 195?

JB is a thorobred, and Dake made him look small. That kid just keeps getting bigger. He's huge, and ALWAYS looks bigger than his opponent. He's the only guy I can think of that moved up that much in weight, and still looked gigantic.

The only difference in the two, is strength. Taylor is just too weak to beat Dake right now. If he gets alot stronger, I dont see how he doesnt beat Dake. All 5 matches I have watched of the two, it seems like Taylor is superior technician wise, but not enough to overcome the clear edge in strength Dake has. Dake has too much horsepower. Technically, Taylor is the better of the two IMO. Not much better, but still better.

I hate these pissing matches. That said, Dake put on a technique clinic in the NCAA finals and did look better than Taylor. His first period escape was absolutely technique ... And horsepower. His TD was beautiful. His adaptation for riding Taylor, impressive.

You can not say his technique is not as good as Taylor's.

That said, Taylor is phenomenal and does have amazing technique.

Folks need to enjoy both of them. They are both incredible and we should be greatful to both of them as fans of the sport.

Please stop the stupid pissing matches.