Sign in to follow this  
JerseyJoey

Taylor is never going to beat Dake

I think DT will eventually beat Dake they meet to many times for it too never happen. Dake and Taylor are technically equal IMO in their own way. Dakes advantage comes with him being physically stronger. I love watching both of them wrestle and think having 4 of the best in the world all at 1 weight the fans are the winner.

Burroughs is amazing but he will also lose eventually to one of these guys that is how wrestling works you always eventually lose. Personally I think Dake has the best chance of doing this

What four are among the best in the world? Burroughs, Burroughs, Burroughs and Burroughs? What have any of the others done internationally that would lead you to make that statement? David Taylor is 0-5 against Dake, and was slapped all over by Burroughs. What has he accomplished that would have you think he's among the best in the world?

I think many would say Burroughs is the best in the world, Dake Taylor and Howe can all hang in there for a full match agaist JB. I think this puts them on a short list of wrestlers. Among the best in the world doesnt have to imply top 5. They are just among them meaning can be put in the same conversation.

Burroughs, at one point, called Howe the 2nd best wrestler in the world. Placing Taylor and Dake in the top 5 laughably follows the logic that someone who can get a "W" against the alleged #2 should be in the Top 5. Let's see Dake and Taylor compete internationally before we throw them any undeserved accolades.

I don't know....this whole thing bothers me......ragging on David Taylor vs. Dake.......they may be in the top 10 all time between them, and at the same time they rag on Metcalf vs Burroughs....remember Gable lost to Owings....just saying....the Metcalf vs.Caldwell match relates to that more closely, but give Taylor a chance.....he's one of the best collegiate wrestlers ever....Fadz

Guest Hammerlock3

I agree

Dake and Taylor are great, skys the limit, those claiming otherwise......have axes to grind.

Right now, Dake is better than Taylor. IMO that's largely because of his steel nerves and boundless confidence, both of which are essential to the most successful wrestlers. In other words, if it weren't for those factors it might be an even match without a 5-0 disparity. I'm not suggesting that Dake only wins on those factors, he's obviously superior in several ways, just as DT is. I don't see the gap that many others see between them, Dake has tremendously solid technique and Taylor's is more dynamic. Who here would be surprised if Dake loses to a Russian that Taylor defeats? Also, significantly, I think that Dake is the bigger threat to Burroughs right now - however, I will not be surprised if that changes because all of these wrestlers have plenty of room for development. It is hard to imagine Dake not eventually making a World team because he possesses such a unique combination of insatiable drive and natural skill/athleticism.

As of right now, Taylor is a lot closer to Dake than Dake is to Burroughs. Even if that doesn't change, it doesn't mean an upset is impossible. I think we've all seen enough wrestling to know that saying things like "Taylor will never beat Dake" is foolish. Owings, Gardner, Marianetti, Deitchler, Caldwell, Slay...

Just takes one match to make "never" sound silly. Look at what Taylor did to Howe. He's not 9 points better than Howe, but it's not inconceivable he could do what he did in that match to anyone if he falls into the right position, and it could just as easily happen to him as well.

Right now, Dake is better than Taylor. IMO that's largely because of his steel nerves and boundless confidence, both of which are essential to the most successful wrestlers. In other words, if it weren't for those factors it might be an even match without a 5-0 disparity. I'm not suggesting that Dake only wins on those factors, he's obviously superior in several ways, just as DT is. I don't see the gap that many others see between them, Dake has tremendously solid technique and Taylor's is more dynamic. Who here would be surprised if Dake loses to a Russian that Taylor defeats? Also, significantly, I think that Dake is the bigger threat to Burroughs right now - however, I will not be surprised if that changes because all of these wrestlers have plenty of room for development. It is hard to imagine Dake not eventually making a World team because he possesses such a unique combination of insatiable drive and natural skill/athleticism.

Bwh27,

In what ways is Taylor obviously superior than Dake?

Conditioning, More diverse offense, more dangerous on top (only in freestyle), bigger threat from distance. Dake has more advantages, its just silly imo to say hes better in every capacity. No general advantage is obvious so much as its obvious that they each have certain specific strengths in particular positions otherwise Dake would be teching him or at least shutting him out.

Saitiev is the greatest wrestler ever and Brandon Slay, whom I assume some here would consider an underdog to Dake and certainly Burroughs, had a few advantages he focused on to beat him (eg power doubles).

I dont see this big gap either. I dont get why people like scribe and multiple others, just continue to disregard Taylor as just some good college wrestler. Nothing more. The kid is one of the best college wrestlers I have ever seen. He possesses a skill set that comes once a generation. He is right there with Dake. Every match besides the OTT match, has been extremely close. To say DT has no shot to ever win, is just dumb. People call Dake top 3 of all time, but discredit DT for losing 4 close matches with him. "DT only has 1 NCAA title, he cant be top 10". Really? Look at the situation, and how he only has 1 NCAA title. His overall unprecendented dominance over everyone but Dake. He bonuses EVERYONE. Whether you think the competition for him has been fierce or not, you dont do what DT does to everyone unless you are a all time great. Nobody has dominated like he has.

I dont see this big gap either. I dont get why people like scribe and multiple others, just continue to disregard Taylor as just some good college wrestler. Nothing more. The kid is one of the best college wrestlers I have ever seen. He possesses a skill set that comes once a generation. He is right there with Dake. Every match besides the OTT match, has been extremely close. To say DT has no shot to ever win, is just dumb. People call Dake top 3 of all time, but discredit DT for losing 4 close matches with him. "DT only has 1 NCAA title, he cant be top 10". Really? Look at the situation, and how he only has 1 NCAA title. His overall unprecendented dominance over everyone but Dake. He bonuses EVERYONE. Whether you think the competition for him has been fierce or not, you dont do what DT does to everyone unless you are a all time great. Nobody has dominated like he has.

Good post!!

Conditioning, More diverse offense, more dangerous on top (only in freestyle), bigger threat from distance. Dake has more advantages, its just silly imo to say hes better in every capacity. No general advantage is obvious so much as its obvious that they each have certain specific strengths in particular positions otherwise Dake would be teching him or at least shutting him out.

Saitiev is the greatest wrestler ever and Brandon Slay, whom I assume some here would consider an underdog to Dake and certainly Burroughs, had a few advantages he focused on to beat him (eg power doubles).[/quotWe

Interesting points Bwh27. I'll give you bigger threat from a distance given Taylor's length, but everything else is not so obvious to me. Dake's conditioning looked just as good as Taylor's at ncaas and the trials. And has Taylor shown a more diverse offense against elite level competition than Dake? Imo more data is needed to confirm the advantages you give to Taylor unless I'm forgetting some matches which could be the case.

Snapspinscore

I like DT, I really do. Without a bias against DT or Psu, I think it would be ridiculous to rate DT as a top 10 ncaa wrestler all time. I've been watching this sport for decades and it's, imo, far from obviously true that DT is even a top 20 wrestler ever. I can honestly say that without intentionally trying to disregard anything he has accomplished in his ncaa career. There's been soo many great wrestlers who have come before DT that have ben brushed to the side and/or forgotten by so many. Even among current guys, I don't believe DT be definitively put ahead of a guy like Jordan Oliver.

Snapspinscore

I like DT, I really do. Without a bias against DT or Psu, I think it would be ridiculous to rate DT as a top 10 ncaa wrestler all time. I've been watching this sport for decades and it's, imo, far from obviously true that DT is even a top 20 wrestler ever. I can honestly say that without intentionally trying to disregard anything he has accomplished in his ncaa career. There's been soo many great wrestlers who have come before DT that have ben brushed to the side and/or forgotten by so many. Even among current guys, I don't believe DT be definitively put ahead of a guy like Jordan Oliver.

Fair enough, I respect your opinion. A lot of posters on her straight up disrespect Taylor's ability.

DT is a very good wrestler. He kinda let his mouth write checks that he couldn't cash leading up to and during the dake series this past year. So I can't really feel too bad for him.

Sometimes I feel like he has a gaggle of 14 year old girls in here going on ahout him in every thread. It makes it difficult to have a reasonable conversation. In other words. I just can't keep pace with the expectations of affection for DT and his legend.

Guest Hammerlock3

What did Taylor say that was so out of order? What did you want him to do predict that dake would beat him?

As for the 14 year old girl fans comment, wrestlers who are great in three position, have unbelievable efficient technique, don't get tired and pin from everywhere tend to have enthusiastic fans.

Guest Hammerlock3
Dake has an even bigger gaggle of 14 y/o girls. He has a damn cult following on here.

looking stupid 101, imitate the worst arguments of your antagonists.

Dake v. Taylor

Technical abilities - Taylor

Athletic abilities - Dake

Mental tougness - Dake by huge margin

Dake wins most of the time

Dake v. JB

Technical abilities - JB

Athletic abilities - JB

Mental Toughness - JB

JB wins most of the time

This doesn't make Taylor better than Dake, but it IS within reach and it clearly makes Taylor one of the ten best of all time if he can make it happen. Taylor can end his college career as the all time points leader in NCAA tournament history. That will be quite the feat if he can make it happen for a two time winner.

This doesn't make Taylor better than Dake, but it IS within reach and it clearly makes Taylor one of the ten best of all time if he can make it happen. Taylor can end his college career as the all time points leader in NCAA tournament history. That will be quite the feat if he can make it happen for a two time winner.

Thats interesting... I knew he was up there but will he be able to beat out Cael for the top spot?

I disagree completely that would make Taylor clearly a top 10 wrestler ever. So many great wrestlers have to be ignored for that to be the case. So many.

The sheer homerism of some people is just astounding sometimes. Truly astounding.