Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

Wrestler Draft / Lehigh Hoops Shocker

Lehigh's C.J. McCollum was the 10th pick in the NBA draft. Incredibly, the Hawks have a better basketball player than they do a wrestler. If there was a draft of wrestlers, the top pick from Lehigh would be Hamlin, I guess. But he would not be in the top 10; maybe he'd be in the top 20.

It's an interesting question: If there were a professional league for folkstyle wrestling, who would be the top pick (Dake? Taylor? Ruth? Stieber?)? Who would be the top 10?

Top 5

1.Taylor

2. Ruth

3.Dake

4.Steiber

5.Oliver

Before people beat me up we are building a team and bonus points matter not ranking who we think is a better wrestler.

Yeah...that's sound reasoning. . Only way I could give a top 5 list is if this is the first draft ever and no team has a roster yet. Remember, we would be drafting for needs right? For instance, you have Taylor going first yet you might already have a solid wrestler at that weight. That being the case, maybe Taylor slides because you take Steiber to fill a need at the weight.

Top 5

1.Taylor

2. Ruth

3.Dake

4.Steiber

5.Oliver

Before people beat me up we are building a team and bonus points matter not ranking who we think is a better wrestler.

Yeah...that's sound reasoning. . Only way I could give a top 5 list is if this is the first draft ever and no team has a roster yet. Remember, we would be drafting for needs right? For instance, you have Taylor going first yet you might already have a solid wrestler at that weight. That being the case, maybe Taylor slides because you take Steiber to fill a need at the weight.

Think of it as my big board and I will be taking best available.

Lehigh's C.J. McCollum was the 10th pick in the NBA draft. Incredibly, the Hawks have a better basketball player than they do a wrestler.

definitely an interesting point. lehigh's basketball team is still barely in the top 100 teams, whereas there's a lot less room between lehigh's wrestling team and the upper echelon.

Some interesting info: he scored 30 points to knock Duke out of the NCAA tourn and despite having a first round draft pick and a season where they made the tournament, Lehigh wrestling, in a down season, had higher attendance figure their duals than the basketball team.

If you look at the bulk of other pro sports you will see a lot of athletes from the non-traditional powers. It is common to see mid major basketball players drafted, FCS and D2 players drafred in football, and baseball players from high school and D3 (with JUCOs sometimes having the most talent). Even in soccer the Super draft has a lot of players from NAIA and D3 though in soccer the top D3 teams compete well with D1 programs.

Also, though not a team event with drafts: http://touracw.com

(Mobile)

Define the terms of the draft.

If it's a one-year deal, like a fantasy league: this year Taylor will threaten the record for most individual points at an NCAA tourney.

If it's building a team: you get Stieber for two years, instead of one for Taylor and Ruth.