Sign in to follow this  
GaryAbbott

HELP - NFL players who were the best wrestlers

Chris Cooley #47. Born: 7/11/1982; Team: Washington Redskins; Position: Tight End; Drafted: 81st Overall 2004 Draft; College: Utah State University; High School: Logan High School.

Chris was born on July 11, 1982 in Powell, Wyoming. What makes Chris such a great football player can be greatly attributed to how great of a wrestler he is… In his senior season Chris went undefeated (54-0) and set the state record with 38 pins on his way to a state championship. He also shined at the High School Senior Nationals by taking 6th place and earning All-American honors. http://chriscooley47.com/meet

2007-2009 Pro Bowl team with Redskins.

Cooley currently holds the Redskins' franchise record for most receptions at tight end.

He set an NFL record by being the only tight end in league history to have six or more touchdowns in each of his first four seasons. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Cool ... n_football)

I'm nominating Turkey Jones! With a throw like this, coupled with the fact that it was done to Bradshaw (like the guy in the show, Duck Call Makers-or whatever it's called-I'm no Bradshaw fan), you HAVE TO believe he's the greatest foolball player/wrestler we've ever seen. :P

Bumped out of respect to Gary Abbott and because of the football vs wrestling discussion on the recent recruiting thread.

Probably could be updated as it is just over 4 years old and the average NFL career lasts 3.3 years.

Edited by KSchlosser

Bill Fralic was an NFL All-Pro Guard from '85-'93. Wrestled for Penn Hills (PA) and finished third in 1980 (AAA).

Jimbo Covert was an NFL All-Pro Tackle from '83-'91. Wrestled for Freedom Area (PA) and finished third in 1977 and 1978 (AA).

Nick Hardwick- Lawrence North HS in Indianapolis, Indiana.  Was state runner-up in 1999 at 171.  He never played high school football and walked on at Purdue his sophomore or junior year.  He played center for the Chargers from 2004-2015 making the pro bowl in 2006.

Jamie Meder, currently a defensive lineman for the Browns, was an Ironman champ or runnerup from Valley Forge High School out of the Cleve area.  Steve Vallos also spent some time in the NFL.  He was a state runnerup out of Youngstown Ohio.

Bill Fralic was an NFL All-Pro Guard from '85-'93. Wrestled for Penn Hills (PA) and finished third in 1980 (AAA).

Jimbo Covert was an NFL All-Pro Tackle from '83-'91. Wrestled for Freedom Area (PA) and finished third in 1977 and 1978 (AA).

Fralic was a monster in HS and scared me as a kid. He was built like the terminator, but at 6' 5". Penn Hills was in our section and we had a great Hwt as well (played FB @ WVU), who Fralic had beaten every time. 1979 WPIAL's and our guy pins Fralic in the finals. Place goes nuts. One of the most exciting WPIAL matches ever.

Fralic was a monster in HS and scared me as a kid. He was built like the terminator, but at 6' 5". Penn Hills was in our section and we had a great Hwt as well (played FB @ WVU), who Fralic had beaten every time. 1979 WPIAL's and our guy pins Fralic in the finals. Place goes nuts. One of the most exciting WPIAL matches ever.

Those HWT matches in the old days could bring the house down, especially when it was a really huge heavy against a skilled small heavy (like Snyder). I miss the really big boys, they brought some excitement that nobody else could bring. Yeah, lots of 3-2 and 1-0 matches none the less (it was still heavyweight). Plus HWT used to always finish up dual meets, so close matches would seemingly come down to those guys every time. In tourneys the big boys would sometimes decide which team would win the tourney in the last match. I remember being glued to the seats many a time, usually rooting against the bigger dude :D

The thing which brought down unlimited heavyweight wasn't injuries. Those guys didn't get hurt more or worse than anybody else. The thing that brought down unlimited heavyweight was collective EMBARRASSMENT on the part of the wrestling community that some of the wrestlers were morbidly obese. Most of the big boys I talked to were great kids. They had to have senses of humor about their size (and they always did). I'd like to see wrestling bring back unlimited heavy. We'd lose a lot less guys to football, for sure.

Edited by TobusRex

Mike Pyle - long time center for the Chicago Bears was an Illinois State HS Wrestling Champ at Hwt - Not Iowa 

Also Mike's older bro Palmer Pyle was an Illinois  State Finalist (2nd place) at hwt. They were teammates with Duh Bears.

On ESPN's 30 for 30 on the '85 Super Bowl Bears, there's an interview with Steve McMichael where he talks about training camp and giving the new guys a hard time. He planned to start a fight with the Bears' newly-drafted tackle and didn't know Covert was an all-state wrestler. It didn't turn out well for McMichael.