gallison

Mizzou - Connor Brown

In early Intermat rankings, Connor is projected to rank 27 at 133 lbs.   Is there any competition (on the Mizzou roster) at that weight that could beat out Connor?

Edited by gallison

2 hours ago, gallison said:

In early Intermat rankings, Connor is projected to rank 27 at 133 lbs.   Is there any competition (on the Mizzou roster) at that weight that could beat out Connor?

I would think that Trey Crawford would at least have a wrestle-off, but would expect Brown to come out on top.  

Some of these freshman recruits they got look very impressive pedigree, but they might want to keep them on redshirt since they are so currently deep

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

Is Matt Schmidt not planning on competing next season? I assume he would give Brown problems

I don’t think either are competing next season. Schmitt was honored at the end of last season for his contributions to the program. I thought Brown was done, but if he were to come back, I would think Crawford and him would be the top 2 right now. 

14 hours ago, gallison said:

I noticed the Intermat Rankings list Sean Harmon instead of Jeremiah Kent too.

35 minutes ago, flanders said:

JK made a few comments last season he was done competing. I think it was a wait and see if he meant it. I guess he did. 

He is still in the room working and participating team member. 

I would guess 133 will be Brown or Crawford. However I wouldn’t be surprised if Shepard or Zeke Seltzer got time as well. Zeke was a top 10 recruit, and Smith has shown he will start true freshman if that means the best possible lineup. I’m wondering how 141-157 shakes out. Mauller, Hart, Edmond and Jacques, someone will be on the bench. Redshirt maybe? 

4 minutes ago, Mizzoufan01 said:

I would guess 133 will be Brown or Crawford. However I wouldn’t be surprised if Shepard or Zeke Seltzer got time as well. Zeke was a top 10 recruit, and Smith has shown he will start true freshman if that means the best possible lineup. I’m wondering how 141-157 shakes out. Mauller, Hart, Edmond and Jacques, someone will be on the bench. Redshirt maybe? 

I still will be surprised (although it would be a pleasant one) if Brown returns. But I do agree with Shepard or Seltzer getting some opportunities. 

I believe the current plan is still for Edmond to rs this season. It was mentioned last year and seems to be still on track. 

On 6/26/2022 at 11:46 AM, flanders said:

I would have guessed that Colton Hawks would have been the next in line after Kent - I even thought he might have a shot of beating Kent out for the spot - any word on how he is looking?

5 hours ago, lu1979 said:

I would have guessed that Colton Hawks would have been the next in line after Kent - I even thought he might have a shot of beating Kent out for the spot - any word on how he is looking?

I actually kinda forgot about him. He'd definitely contend for the spot. 

This is going to be a dumb question, but how do schools allocate that 9.9 across so many studs in the case of a school like Missouri?  I'm guessing the AD/coach works heavily with the financial aid department to find a solution for those who may qualify for financial aid - and for those that do not - they will give the scholarship to try to make the 9.9 go as far as possible?  Just thinking that otherwise someone who is good enough to be a starter on most teams, but is a backup on Missouri, would probably rather have a free ride somewhere else rather than have to pay tuition because you can't crack the lineup. 

This is going to be a dumb question, but how do schools allocate that 9.9 across so many studs in the case of a school like Missouri?  I'm guessing the AD/coach works heavily with the financial aid department to find a solution for those who may qualify for financial aid - and for those that do not - they will give the scholarship to try to make the 9.9 go as far as possible?  Just thinking that otherwise someone who is good enough to be a starter on most teams, but is a backup on Missouri, would probably rather have a free ride somewhere else rather than have to pay tuition because you can't crack the lineup. 

The SEC has a program that awards student athletes a given amount of money for a certain GPA. Askren mentioned it recently on Flo. I think it was 3k/semester for a 3.0 and increased from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

I cannot say exactly how the 9.9 is split up, but I think you are pretty accurate in there being a a lot of work in the financial aid dept. 

In the last few years some of the team have gotten different cost towards school. Such as - books paid for. Or a % of tuition, 25%, 50% and probably someone like kot winning receives 100%. 

There are also different scholarships that wouldn’t count towards the 9.9. Some get minority scholarships that are equal, if not more, to what the athletic one would be. 

The SEC program caps at 3k (or just under) per semester. But I know some were around a 2.2 gpa and received about 1200$

Edited by Mufan
Updated with sec info

9 minutes ago, Mufan said:

I cannot say exactly how the 9.9 is split up, but I think you are pretty accurate in there being a a lot of work in the financial aid dept. 

In the last few years some of the team have gotten different cost towards school. Such as - books paid for. Or a % of tuition, 25%, 50% and probably someone like kot winning receives 100%. 

There are also different scholarships that wouldn’t count towards the 9.9. Some get minority scholarships that are equal, if not more, to what the athletic one would be. 

The SEC program caps at 3k (or just under) per semester. But I know some were around a 2.2 gpa and received about 1200$

very thorough - really appreciate both of your replies (I will give you a reaction, but I have used my daily allowance :(

On 6/28/2022 at 10:32 AM, lu1979 said:

I highly doubt it can happen as discussed last year or the year before, but if O'Toole could drop to 57, Mocco to 65...we could put Harmon in at 74 and Hawks at 84.  That would be a killer lineup overall if we start Zeke at 33.

125: Surtin

133: Seltzer

141: Hart/Edmond

149: Mauller

157: O'Toole

165: Mocco

174: Harmon

184: Hawks

197: Elam

Hwt: Elam

On 6/28/2022 at 2:25 PM, flanders said:

I actually kinda forgot about him. He'd definitely contend for the spot. 

In addition to Hawks - I forget they also have Clayton Whiting this year as a freshman (will likely redshirt).  But last year as a high schooler, he beat Abe Assad in a tight 4-3 match.  

9 hours ago, The_MO_Godfather said:

I highly doubt it can happen as discussed last year or the year before, but if O'Toole could drop to 57, Mocco to 65...we could put Harmon in at 74 and Hawks at 84.  That would be a killer lineup overall if we start Zeke at 33.

I personally love this lineup. However, Keegan has said he hates cutting weight, so as much as I love it, it won’t happen. 

17 hours ago, The_MO_Godfather said:

Why should O'Toole drop to 157 when he is the defending Champ and preseason favorite at 165 - Also I would expect that he has Free Style ambitions on the Senior level and 74 kg is the perfect weight for him to train for and is an Olympic weight. 

7 hours ago, lu1979 said:

Why should O'Toole drop to 157 when he is the defending Champ and preseason favorite at 165 - Also I would expect that he has Free Style ambitions on the Senior level and 74 kg is the perfect weight for him to train for and is an Olympic weight. 

I understand that, and we know now the plan is 165. However I’m sure you are aware he initially tried 157 only to be beat out by Jacques, thus the move up and forcing the back half of the lineup shifting up.

48 minutes ago, Mizzoufan01 said:

I understand that, and we know now the plan is 165. However I’m sure you are aware he initially tried 157 only to be beat out by Jacques, thus the move up and forcing the back half of the lineup shifting up.

I was not aware that Jacques had beat him out for the spot and quite frankly I am amazed at that.   It may have been a combination of O'Toole not adjusting well to the cut and familiarity.  I don't think many people look at Jacques as being in O'Toole's league (no offense to Jacques)