Casper

John Smith Retirement

Does John hang it up before or after Ferrari finishes at OSU?

Will the kid drive him to retirement - or will he try to hang on for the whole ride?

He isn't the Coach of a few years ago. Looking and acting both tired and disgusted often.

Still, 6 in a row as a wrestler and the greatest the USA has ever had on the mat. Top coach - but getting past his "sell by" date.

Watching him as Ferrari wrestles is almost painful. Will he make it through the kids whole career?

1 hour ago, Fletcher said:

He's 56 years old and wrestling coaches do not exactly make the kind of money that allows for retiring 10 yrs. early.

He's been head coach for 30 years, makes around 400K/year and probably has some type of state pension.  Plus, camps, merchandise, endorsements, broadcasting, etc.  I think he could squeak by financially.

6 minutes ago, MNRodent said:

He's been head coach for 30 years, makes around 400K/year and probably has some type of state pension.  Plus, camps, merchandise, endorsements, broadcasting, etc.  I think he could squeak by financially.

and 30 at 55 is usually full retirement % plus he doesn't have to retire from the university.

15 hours ago, Casper said:

Does John hang it up before or after Ferrari finishes at OSU?

Will the kid drive him to retirement - or will he try to hang on for the whole ride?

He isn't the Coach of a few years ago. Looking and acting both tired and disgusted often.

Still, 6 in a row as a wrestler and the greatest the USA has ever had on the mat. Top coach - but getting past his "sell by" date.

Watching him as Ferrari wrestles is almost painful. Will he make it through the kids whole career?

Why would Ferrari drive Smith out? I know a lot of people think he's a jerk. But he is also a national champ who may win three (four?) more. Isn't that the kind of kid most coaches want to coach?

25 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Why would Ferrari drive Smith out? I know a lot of people think he's a jerk. But he is also a national champ who may win three (four?) more. Isn't that the kind of kid most coaches want to coach?

Have you ever actually had a conversation with actual high school or college coaches about athletes like Ferrari? 

FFS. For the millionth time, Ferrari can’t be a five timer. He isn’t eligible for a medical RS from this past season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, jp157 said:

Have you ever actually had a conversation with actual high school or college coaches about athletes like Ferrari? 

NEVER. I am sure you have and can enlighten me. I do understand that college coaches make great efforts to get athletes like Ferrari to join their teams. Am I mistaken?

4 hours ago, MNRodent said:

Also, he can be a guest commentator for Flo, which is $55/day plus a per diem.

4 hours ago, jackwebster said:

Please retire. Just watching his disgusted scowl makes me hate his team . . . maybe not as much as he does, but still.

There's a rumor that the AD said its in his new contract: "five more scowls and he is fired."  

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

NEVER. I am sure you have and can enlighten me. I do understand that college coaches make great efforts to get athletes like Ferrari to join their teams. Am I mistaken?

Yes because an athlete posting himself shooting guns into a field among many other things would never cause stress even though he does win matches… Jesus your naive 

2 minutes ago, jp157 said:

Yes because an athlete posting himself shooting guns into a field among many other things would never cause stress even though he does win matches… Jesus your naive 

It's awesome that you've decided how John Smith feels and you think it's absurd that someone else didn't decide how John Smith feels.

Let’s put it this way. Since I’m not actually dissing AJ and i don’t feel like answering one by one. 

Coaching athletes who can say anything, post wild stuff on social media like shooting guns into a field can cause stress. If you talk to most elite coaches.. their elite guys are a source of much more stress than you’d think..

Just now, boconnell said:

It's awesome that you've decided how John Smith feels and you think it's absurd that someone else didn't decide how John Smith feels.

I was replying to a person not understanding that an athlete can cause a coach to stress.. even or especially if that athlete wins. Considering the OP was a joke about if smith could surge the stress of coaching him 4 years 

My theory is that Smith has never had quite the same patience as a coach as Gable, Brands, and Cael and thus shows annoyance and frustration more then them.

The others prioritized coaching earlier.  After a first Olympics they cut the competing cord and went all in on their next career.  Smith won SIX championships in a row -- tota and lengthy l dedication to his wrestling.   

My pop psych read is that as a result he can't quite understand and deal with his athletes not being as focused as he was whereas I think the others realized when they started that very few of their charges could be as perfect as they are.