Sign in to follow this  
The_Education

there is no Dake-Burroughs rivalry

Look at all the responses to back him on this thread and others. Who cares what the title says. The kid has a cult following on here.

People not agreeing with you =/= cult

Top signs of a cult. Denying there is a problem here. Blaming others.

Look at all the responses to back him on this thread and others. Who cares what the title says. The kid has a cult following on here.

Top signs of a moron: saying that a group of people who like a specific team or athlete is a cult. Unless you're arguing that every fanbase ever is a cult.

Top signs of a moron: saying that a group of people who like a specific team or athlete is a cult. Unless you're arguing that every fanbase ever is a cult.

No. Dake seems to get the benefit of the doubt with every cocky or annoying thing he does. David Taylor, Mocco, many others have not received such a gift. You can call me a moron. You are a just an annoying person, who gives Iowa fans the reputation that annoy so many people in the wrestling community. Just because you can take time to post thousands and thousands of responses and topics on a wrestling forum, doesnt mean that your judgement and opinion are worth a damn. David Taylor is not close to Dake, but Ramos was to Steiber? You lost credibility with me back then, and continue to go down hill with every idiotic post you make.

I agree there is no rivalry, not yet. Dake is not there. But take this into account. Dake seems to learn each match. So far, he has bested Howe who according to many here is a BEAST. Well Dake beasted all over the beast. Taylor is good, Dake always beats him. I'm not saying this won't reverse, but Dake seems to be able to learn and make adjustments. Losing to JB in the first match only to come back and take JB to overtime in a high scoring match is quite an outstanding feat. He obviously learned something from his first match.

I'm not a Dake guy. But I think it is not wise to underestimate him. He has proven most wrong. He was seeded 5th in the challenge tourney, even behind Taylor who he beat at the OTT's last year. Someone on the seeding committed underestimated him. I say JB does so at his peril. I think he caught a taste of it and will not underestimate Dake. There was a comment about pushing JB into the stratosphere. I think Dake is just the person to do that. Perhaps Taylor and Howe can also work that.

It will be very interesting to watch over the next few years.

mspart

Last time I checked, the definition of rivalry had no stipulation requiring that the rivals in question be within a hair of each other. While it would be pointless to call Burroughs versus, say, Joe Latham or even Colt Sponseller a rivalry, if we can't say that there's a rivalry between the #1 and the #2 guy in the country, then I don't know what the hell qualifies as a rivalry. The media is playing up this "rivalry" because our sport needs stories like these. And because there IS a rivalry in the making. Had Taylor been the one who made it to JB to get beat again, we'd be talking about a JB-Taylor rivalry. Had Howe made it, there'd be press about the JB-Howe rivalry. The only reason people have a problem with Dake-Burroughs is because Dake is involved, which is a really stupid reason.

Dake does come off as cocky by making excuses about his loss, but to be fair, the Kid has a point. Both are not mutually exclusive: yes, Dake came off as cocky, if not a c0ck altogether, and yes, his point is worth considering.

I too agree that nobody in the world, even Dake, is particularly close to JB. Right now, he is clearly at a big advantage against anyone in the world, let alone in this country. But it is moronic to pretend that Dake has a snowball's chance in hell when on his first official senior freestyle outing, he had a match won by FILA rules and gave JB the closest match of perhaps his entire freestyle career. Yes, he got teched and looked like a JV wrestler getting schooled by his older brother that time. And yes, he gave JB a genuine scare minutes later. Both are also not mutually exclusive and point to the possibility of the unthinkable, a JB slip-up.

We should want the possibility of that to last as long as possible until another story can capture the imagination of the wrestling fan base at large. It keeps fans engaged and, if some event is fortunate enough to host a rematch, it will put asses in seats.

Finally, the big difference between Dake and everyone else mentioned on this thread who ran their mouth is that Dake, with one very recent exception (against Burroughs) has delivered time and time again despite the odds. When someone keeps putting up like Dake has, the crowd eventually learns to shut up.

Come on now. Joe Williams, on his BEST DAY was not Jordan Burroughs. No shame in that.

And did you really just infer that Marstellar and Pico were going to beat Dake? It's bad enough that Dake loses fantasy matches to every guy in college, now he's losing fantasy matches to HS freshman.

No he didn't have the international success but he was pretty dominant within the US at the same weight for a loooong time. Until guys figured out how to beat him and he moved up a weight to represent the world team there for a year or two. This is not the first time Joe Williams and Jordan Burroughs have been compared to each other.

And yes, Marstellar and Pico will beat Dake tomorrow. No smart guy that's not what I'm saying, but there will be some more names in the hat by 2016 and beyond.

I agree there is no rivalry, not yet. Dake is not there. But take this into account. Dake seems to learn each match. So far, he has bested Howe who according to many here is a BEAST. Well Dake beasted all over the beast. Taylor is good, Dake always beats him. I'm not saying this won't reverse, but Dake seems to be able to learn and make adjustments. Losing to JB in the first match only to come back and take JB to overtime in a high scoring match is quite an outstanding feat. He obviously learned something from his first match.

I'm not a Dake guy. But I think it is not wise to underestimate him. He has proven most wrong. He was seeded 5th in the challenge tourney, even behind Taylor who he beat at the OTT's last year. Someone on the seeding committed underestimated him. I say JB does so at his peril. I think he caught a taste of it and will not underestimate Dake. There was a comment about pushing JB into the stratosphere. I think Dake is just the person to do that. Perhaps Taylor and Howe can also work that.

It will be very interesting to watch over the next few years.

mspart

So, it's wise to underestimate the guy who has never actually lost a FS or any match period in 5 years, and teched Dake at that?

Adn people saying it was an OT match, JB took Dake down at will. But here is the kicker it looked like he could have taken him down anytime he wanted. As stated when JB wanted to score or needed he did with relative ease. With in literally 15 seconds of Dake going up 3-1 on that toss, JB did what , he got annoyed and took Dake down and turned him. Dake did get a nice shot , to make it 6-4 and JB did what with in another 10 secs took Dake down to tie it 6-6, in OT match ended in 5 secs, with what JB take down. And people were like Dake almost was behind him , no he wasn't, JB's shot was extremely deep to the point that he overshot, if that is even possible.

I don't underestimate Dake, however, JB is not Taylor , Howe, or anyone else ... he's arguably p4p the best in the world and is equal in drive and greater in skill than Dake. And OT or not, the match was not close. There wasn't any doubt as to the outcome, JB as he does with every wrestler looks like he can score when he wants, and you haven't watched many of his matches if you think the Dake match was the closest, he had, JB always wrestles this way.

The only person that has legitimately given JB a scare is Tsargush, unlike Dake, Tsargush has the ability to take down JB nearly as easily as JB has the ability to take down Tsargush.

This is all kind of dumb.

Dake runs the gauntlet morning and afternoon, then gets a very well rested Burroughs in the evening.

He may be in great shape, but let's face it.....nothing fair about it.

The format is ridiculous.....both wrestlers should have at least 24 hours to r and r. Its not really right.

The Burroughs - Dake rivalry has begun.

Andrew Howe is very very good. And still recovering from a plethora of pretty serious injuries....knee, Achilles, et al. If he decides to continue, he's always a major threat.

Burroughs IS improved- beautiful shots and re-shots.

The others are always a threat ( Taylor, Paulsen and more)

This weight class is sweet.

This will be a great rivalry for many years and will serve USA wrestling very well as the top 4 continue to up their game. JB is the obvious favorite and I predict he will stay on top. Would be real nice to send Dake, Taylor and Howe to a big tournament like Tblisi at the same time and see how they all do against top international competition and each other.

I believe Dake had a much better chance against JBurroughs under the old rules. The new rules with passivity really favor Jordan B. the officials will not let Dake tie up with no offensive intention or go to his knee(s) without getting called. Dake's only chance will be a fluke scramble score or he will have to attempt the offense that he drills.

Wish FILA would add extra weight classes in non Olympic years.

This will be a great rivalry for many years and will serve USA wrestling very well as the top 4 continue to up their game. JB is the obvious favorite and I predict he will stay on top. Would be real nice to send Dake, Taylor and Howe to a big tournament like Tblisi at the same time and see how they all do against top international competition and each other.

I believe Dake had a much better chance against JBurroughs under the old rules. The new rules with passivity really favor Jordan B. the officials will not let Dake tie up with no offensive intention or go to his knee(s) without getting called. Dake's only chance will be a fluke scramble score or he will have to attempt the offense that he drills.

Wish FILA would add extra weight classes in non Olympic years.

Dake has more of a chance than just a 'fluke scramble score' or your typical offense. Remember, he tossed Burroughs for 3 and was almost able to do it again but Jordan wisely bailed out and only gave up 2 the second time. If Burroughs lets his emotions get the best of him and tries to finish that td like he normally does (big if ) Dake is liable to toss him for 3 again and potentially end the match. Dake has extremely explosive hips and great leverage which can do wonders for exposures from nuetral and lifts/throws.

Having said that I think Burroughs stays undefeated in the US for the next couple years. He has shown a willingness to adapt and learn to integrate new techniques and strategies in his style and I think he will continue to do so. I think he will focus more on clean finishes next time he wrestles Dake to avoid the possibilty of the potential throw.

Dake vs Burroughs rivalries, kind of reminds me of the

Serena vs Pova #2 in world rivalry,

Serena vs Vika #3 in world rivalry

Non-existent, a figment of peoples imaginations, when you are 15-2, and 14-2 , respectively against someone, can it be called a rivalry?

As it stands 2-0 ... let's see how this one pans out. If JB is anything like Serena Williams there is approximately 10 years of axx whuppings headed Dakes way, for people even contemplating the upstart getting the better of him.

Non-existent, a figment of peoples imaginations, when you are 15-2, and 14-2 , respectively against someone, can it be called a rivalry?

Kind of like 0-5 is a non-existant, figmentatious rivalry? :roll:

You know - it just dawned on me - trying to understand why some folks have got their panties all in a bunch just at the suggestion that there MIGHT possibly be a Dake / Burroughs rivalry - I think the David Taylor fans are actually going to MISS Kyle Dake! :geek:

It's sometime said, great athletes are defined by their rivals - and now, Kyle Dake is gone, moving on to a bigger rival! And the David Taylor fans mourn their loss...:ugeek: