Sign in to follow this  
tech_fall

Who would you rather see at 74kg in 2016?

Who do you want to see in 2016 at 74kg? I'm not asking for a debate of who is better or who will be better. Assuming whoever earns the spot is the best at that time. From purely a fan stand point " this can be personal attatchment wrestling style, grandmas old paper boy ect ect" whatever your criteria who would you most like to see in this spot? Dake, Burroughs, Taylor? or someone else.

Not sure why Taylor is included in this, but...

If I want to see the best wrestler represent the US, and give us the best shot at a gold medal, I'll take JB.

If I want to read about how DT is the best in the world, despite a 7th place finish, I'll take DT.

With "proper" brackets anything is possible. You put some poor guy representing Belarus who was 12th in Russia and some Puerto Rican guy with DT and everyone else on the other side and even DT can win a medal.

With "proper" brackets anything is possible. You put some poor guy representing Belarus who was 12th in Russia and some Puerto Rican guy with DT and everyone else on the other side and even DT can win a medal.

That reminds me, we all know the major rule changes instituted by FILA. Did they make any adjustments to the bracketing? I think it's insane to have twice as many competitors on the bottom half, absolutely illogical.

Well I mean if I am allowed to pick anybody for any reason I wouldn't mind being an Olympian myself.

That is the spirit of it

some guys still feel the need to put down taylor don't mention taylor just state who you would like to see.

Guess getting out of position one time against Taylor is enough make Howe an after thought when it comes to being a top name at 74kg. Not everyone has to pick him as the man, but I would think in the 20 threads related to these topics he's shown the ability to be mentioned in the conversation. At least until there is enough evidence over multiple events to show otherwise.

That reminds me, we all know the major rule changes instituted by FILA. Did they make any adjustments to the bracketing? I think it's insane to have twice as many competitors on the bottom half, absolutely illogical.

Really doesn't matter what half has up to twice as many and may, in a sense, be preferable. Just looks funny.

If they spread the byes out across the bracket the way we normally do in this country each wrestler is apt to have either n or n-1 bouts in the championship side same as what they're doing. The possible advantage is that there would be less situations where one wrestler has wrestled more often than his opponent.

If this was a full double elimination it might affect the number of needed consolation rounds.

What's with this 74kg obsession? Outside of Burroughs, our best active wrestlers are Scott and Dlagnev, and Scott is injured. We don't have any active medalists after these three.

If neither Pat Smith, Ben Askren, nor Brent Metcalf have won medals, what makes everyone so sure we've got two-to-four potential medalists at 74kg?

The only reason 74kg is exciting is Burroughs. Period. Dake, Taylor, and Howe are all studs, but there's no evidence they are medal threats at this point.

I would like to see the best wrestler in the world representing the red, white, and blue (again) - Jordan Burroughs.

You're a wise man. You're never going to get your David Taylor footie pajamas from the PSU faithful with that attitude.

Really doesn't matter what half has up to twice as many and may, in a sense, be preferable. Just looks funny.

If they spread the byes out across the bracket the way we normally do in this country each wrestler is apt to have either n or n-1 bouts in the championship side same as what they're doing. The possible advantage is that there would be less situations where one wrestler has wrestled more often than his opponent.

If this was a full double elimination it might affect the number of needed consolation rounds.

Not sure what you mean? The bottom half with up to twice as many wrestlers tends to be much harder to medal from. Not because you might have one more match but because an imbalanced number of the best wrestlers will usually end up randomly placed on the side with more competitors. So the best wrestlers have to go through a meat-grinder more often than if we balanced the weights rationally. With the way they bracket now there's almost always one side that's much, much tougher.

Not sure what you mean? The bottom half with up to twice as many wrestlers tends to be much harder to medal from. Not because you might have one more match but because an imbalanced number of the best wrestlers will usually end up randomly placed on the side with more competitors. So the best wrestlers have to go through a meat-grinder more often than if we balanced the weights rationally. With the way they bracket now there's almost always one side that's much, much tougher.

I thought you were talking newer rules which I believe make some room for seeding past medalists (not sure here). I kind of ignored Trip's paranoia.

I would like to see the best wrestler in the world representing the red, white, and blue (again) - Jordan Burroughs.

You're a wise man. You're never going to get your David Taylor footie pajamas from the PSU faithful with that attitude.

Why are you such a douche hater? DT has more wrestling talent in his left nut, than you have talent in anything. Although your talent at making worthless posts without substance is pretty impressive.

Unless we're talking about friends and family of Dake, Howe, or Taylor, I don't know why anybody would not like to see Burroughs keep winning. We're talking about a guy who is two years into his international career, and is yet to drop a single match either domestically or internationally. If he keeps that going for even just one more year, he would already start to approach legendary status. All of the greats, including Saitiev, Fadzaev, and Smith, dropped matches during their careers. Burroughs will eventually drop a match too, but until he does, he is a big story that I don't think any U.S. wrestling fan should want to go away.