Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

Penn State about to make some recruiting news ....

"he text me that he committed and i was sure that the next two words from him were going to be 'Ohio State'. idk. it was a wow moment for me lol"

Yeah, it was mentioned on the local boards that TOSU making a big run at Nevills.

COngrats to the Happy Valley Faithful, but I don't know that this is super startling. Didn't Cael go get Morgan McIntosh from California? He clearly has inroads built out there. That said, seems like a really talented pick up for Penn State in an area of need. Jimmy Lawson is probably a little caught off guard, though!

Go on....

I doubt that is surprises Lawson at all. He only had 3 years of wrestling eligibility when he entered PSU, and would have used up 2 of them by the time Nevills arrived at Happy Valley. Plus, PSU had already gotten a verbal from Haines for the same recruiting class, and he was slated to wrestle 285 in college, so Lawson knew competition was on its way. It was anticipated by PSU fans that Haines would redshirt, and then take over 285 after Lawson graduated.

I haven't spoken to Willie about the "wow," but my guess on it would be a combination of getting such a highly ranked wrestler, getting one at a weight class where it was thought PSU had already addressed its future needs, and getting a recruit that seemed ticketed to a B1G competitor.

Does this really qualify as huge news? Obviously the guy is talented, but Penn State is constantly drawing extremely talented guys in their recruiting class. Is there something i'm missing here -->is he considered an immediate impact guy as a true freshman?

I think he is the #5 guy p4p in his class, so I'd guess he is an immediate impact guy. Doesn't one of the Tirapelle's post here? They are Clovis guys. Maybe they can add something.

Hopefully this starts a pipeline from Clovis to Cael's Penn State squad. That would be nice.

Not sure how this impacts Thomas Haines. Haines is headed towards Hwt. himself.

EDIT: I just watched Nevills finals match where he won Flo Nationals this year against Evan Daley who is headed to Clarion. Nevills has a lot of skills. You can watch that video here.

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/25 ... California

Nick is a hammer. Without putting any undue pressure, I think with a lot of hard work and some great coaching, which I think he has found, he has a lot of upside at the next level.

We may never have another like him at Clovis, and we've had some pretty good ones. He was a double OT upset loss away from going for 4 HWT state titles next season. He pinned his way through the state tournament this season (6 falls), and was only the 3rd or 4th athlete to ever do so.

Congrats to him and Penn State. Looks like I'll need to order a new NCAA t-shirt... ;)

Thanks for posting, tirapelle. Nice insight into Nick Nevills.

COngrats to the Happy Valley Faithful, but I don't know that this is super startling. Didn't Cael go get Morgan McIntosh from California? He clearly has inroads built out there. That said, seems like a really talented pick up for Penn State in an area of need. Jimmy Lawson is probably a little caught off guard, though!

Go on....

I doubt that is surprises Lawson at all. He only had 3 years of wrestling eligibility when he entered PSU, and would have used up 2 of them by the time Nevills arrives at PSU. Plus, PSU had already gotten a verbal from Haines for the same recruiting class, and he was slated to wrestle 285 in college, so Lawson knew competition was on its way. It was anticipated by PSU fans that Haines would redshirt, and then take over for Lawson as a redshirt freshmen.

I haven't spoken to Willie about the "wow," but my guess on it would be a combination of getting such a highly ranked wrestler, getting one at a weight class where it was thought PSU had already addressed its future needs, and getting a recruit that seemed ticketed to a B1G competitor.

exactly Tom

Guest Hammerlock3

Maybe they got someone who sucks...or is a holocaust denier? That would be surprising.

I'm glad Nevills is coming to PSU to wrestle, great stuff. With Ginerich,Lawson,Haines and Nevills at 285 for a few years, great workout partners are hard to find. Haines and Nevills will be battling for the starting spot for 5 years. I must say Haines is a freak athlete, he wrestles like a 160 pounder, can ride like a middleweight and scores with leg attacks. Most heavyweights don't have this skill set.

Does this really qualify as huge news? Obviously the guy is talented, but Penn State is constantly drawing extremely talented guys in their recruiting class. Is there something i'm missing here -->is he considered an immediate impact guy as a true freshman?

I think he is the #5 guy p4p in his class, so I'd guess he is an immediate impact guy. Doesn't one of the Tirapelle's post here? They are Clovis guys. Maybe they can add something.

Hopefully this starts a pipeline from Clovis to Cael's Penn State squad. That would be nice.

EDIT: I just watched Nevills finals match where he won Flo Nationals this year against Evan Daley who is headed to Clarion. Nevills has a lot of skills. You can watch that video here.

This is an intresting situation. Nevills and Haines IMHO both look small for HWT (As does Evan Daily). Does anyone know what Nevills weighs? Evan Daily wrestled at 220 all season. Flo Nats he might have weighed 235, Nevills doesnt look much bigger then him at all. Daily is a above average wrestler who was clearly out of shape in this match and gave Nevills some troubles. Nevills is going to have to get better at holding people down. I personally think that Haines is better then Nevills. Daily lost to 220lb PA Freshman Jordan Wood this year (among others) who I am told gets beat on pretty bad by Haines. Nevills beats Daily at FLO nats. I personally think Haines pins Daily. Regardless it will be interesting to see how this all plays out in Happy Valley.

For those that are unware, if you choose or desire to go to a school that competes for team National Championships, you have to expect to beat out elite level talent just to make the team. And you have to know that going in that the team will recruit other kids to the same weight while you still have eligibility. A spot is earned each year and if they think they can get someone better, they will. You have to prove that YOU are the guy they need at the weight in the room, on the mat, and in all aspects of college life.

I think fans make more of it than the kids do because after all, if your goal is to be a National Champion and you can't make your own team, logic says you are not the best in the country. If being assured a starting spot was #1 priority, you wouldn't see top recruits going to these schools. But like anything, what makes them top recruits is their insatiable desire to be the best, and usually they aren't afraid of a little competition.

It's a tough sport and college sports in general are a tough business. Everyone who completes a career, regardless of accomplishments, has my full respect.

papride, there is video of a 9th grade Nevills riding Brooks Black for an entire period. Additional video of Nevills riding Michael Johnson of Wyoming Seminary when Clovis beat that school for the Doc B Title. Johnson is a big guy and national prep runner up to Black, and Nevills got out from under him twice, then rode him out both times.

This is an intresting situation. Nevills and Haines IMHO both look small for HWT (As does Evan Daily). Does anyone know what Nevills weighs? Evan Daily wrestled at 220 all season. Flo Nats he might have weighed 235, Nevills doesnt look much bigger then him at all. Daily is a above average wrestler who was clearly out of shape in this match and gave Nevills some troubles. Nevills is going to have to get better at holding people down. I personally think that Haines is better then Nevills. Daily lost to 220lb PA Freshman Jordan Wood this year (among others) who I am told gets beat on pretty bad by Haines. Nevills beats Daily at FLO nats. I personally think Haines pins Daily. Regardless it will be interesting to see how this all plays out in Happy Valley.

Wood was tied 2-2 in the 3rd peropd of the State Finals until losing 7-2 to Haines. Not sure I'd call that getting beat on pretty bad.

Anxious to see where Haines wrestles this coming season when his teammate at 285 was a PA State quarterfinalist last year. I believe this teammate - Spiller - is bigger than Haines.

Glad to see the competition will be plenty in the Lorenzo Complex!!!

The score was SEVEN to TWO.....?? That is sure close??? :roll: :roll: I can say I was close to a lot of state champs then cause the score was only 2-1 when I got pinned! :lol:

Don't believe anyone claimed 7-2 was close or that it was comparable to being pinned.

The statement was that Wood gets beat on pretty bad by Haines. I pointed out the State Final was tied after 2 periods and finished 7-2 after a late tilt.

Sometimes watching the match can be more telling than the reading the final score.

Here is the common opponent -

Nevills vs. Snyder (Flow National Finals 2012): http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/24 ... Nevills-CA

Haines vs. Snyder 1 (Super 32 Finals 2012): http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/24 ... -Haines-PA

Haines vs. Snyder 2 (Powerade Finals 2012): http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/25 ... es-Solanco

So, what you are saying is Cael lost out on his #1 recruit, Snyder.

Here is the common opponent -

Nevills vs. Snyder (Flow National Finals 2012): http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/24 ... Nevills-CA

Haines vs. Snyder 1 (Super 32 Finals 2012): http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/24 ... -Haines-PA

Haines vs. Snyder 2 (Powerade Finals 2012): http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/25 ... es-Solanco

So, what you are saying is Cael lost out on his #1 recruit, Snyder.

Ha...I was waiting for someone to chime in with the Snyder angle. I guess what he is saying Acadia is that it's a good thing for the future PSU HWTs that Snyder is planning to go 197 for tOSU. ;)