Sign in to follow this  
Boohawk

Nevills to PSU!!!

Galasso is a decent little recruit, will probably redshirt. He clearly has the potential to place at Easterns. Garcia will be a nice kid to have in the room, but not much upside.

Cael sure likes depth. Except in his brothers weight class, of course.

Do you know what you're trying to insinuate, or are you just trying to troll for the sake of trolling?

Maybe you knew, maybe not. For the 2009-2010 season, the only year which Cyler Sanderson competed for Penn State, both Bubba Jenkins AND David Taylor red-shirted.

Or was it something related to Iowa State?

Bubba was already a more accomplished wrestler than Cyler, Bubba was already an NCAA runner-up. There was no need for Cyler on that team . Look, Cael does what is best for Cael. That's fine, most coaches are that way.

I'm no Cael apologist, but it looks like since he's arrived at Penn State he's tried to build a team around a certain type of kid. Not all of them are the best wrestlers or end up National Champions, but they do have things in common. Just because a kid can win NCAA Titles, doesn't make him a fit for a program.

You may call it "best for Cael". As a coach I'd call it having a program and a program philosophy, not just a collection of individuals. It has worked out pretty well for him so far.

I'm no Cael apologist, but it looks like since he's arrived at Penn State he's tried to build a team around a certain type of kid. Not all of them are the best wrestlers or end up National Champions, but they do have things in common. Just because a kid can win NCAA Titles, doesn't make him a fit for a program.

You may call it "best for Cael". As a coach I'd call it having a program and a program philosophy, not just a collection of individuals. It has worked out pretty well for him so far.

I don't really yet what you are referring too. I hope you aren't saying "character"' Cael has had as many guys get in trouble as anyone else. As far as results, lets not forget that many of the biggest contributors to these titles (Wright, Ruth, Molinaro) weren't Cael's recruits.

I think Cael is a great recruiter and probably a great coach. He is going to win a lot more titles. But the thing with Bubba was weak, and as we saw karma is a B.

Cael's karma seems pretty good to me considering his team has won 3 championships since Bubba left. Maybe that's becasue Jerky Joey is trying to rewrite history to suite his trolling needs. Anyone with actual knowledge of the situation knows Bubba played an active part in that divorce and it had nothing to do with Cyler.

I don't really yet what you are referring too. I hope you aren't saying "character"' Cael has had as many guys get in trouble as anyone else. As far as results, lets not forget that many of the biggest contributors to these titles (Wright, Ruth, Molinaro) weren't Cael's recruits.

I think Cael is a great recruiter and probably a great coach. He is going to win a lot more titles. But the thing with Bubba was weak, and as we saw karma is a B.

Probably? Probably?

I think we'll gladly try to keep him a while longer, thank you very much.

Seriously? Probably? That's a good one.

He is a great recruiter, no question. But before we annoint him a great coach, I need to seem develop some guys that werent "cant miss" prospects the way that Brands, Koll, Smith and others have. There have also already been some instances of guys not rising to the occasion. He has had an embarrassment of riches the past few years combing his recruits with the studs already there. (Similar to when Brands went to Iowa. ) We'll see.

Dont get me wrong, I would take Cael over all but 2 or 3 coaches in the country. But that is based on his name and recruiting. We shall see if the rest comes with it.

bubba was going to wrestle 149 that year. molinaro had plans to get back to 141 and bubba was going to be at 149 after he became academically eligible. bubba purposely missed weight at lock haven and wrestled 165. this pushed his cert to 157 and kept cael from wrestling him that year. bubba knew he needed to get away from metcalf to get a title and he did it. congrats on the title but bubba was the one who was doing shady stuff, not cael.

I agree the situation Brands and Cael walked into in IC and Happy Valley skews the evaluation of their coaching abilities. That said, I look at how both those who he inherited and the recruits he brought in have progressed since his arrival and without a doubt what we have seen so far is just fine thank you very much!!

Q's, Molinaro and even Dan Vallimont made strides each year under Cael though each may have under Sunderland. The fact that all seemed to flourish when they moved up in wt class may reflect some of Cael's philosophy. A couple couldn't make AA that might have but I suspect injury cost them more than coaching.

Most importantly kids like Conaway, Piersall, English and Volrath, who were not the "blue chippers" that lead programs to titles have all fill our needs when called upon. All four would be more than spot starters on many teams.

Then of course the Blue chippers Cael brought in or were recruited by Sunderland but not coached by him, for the most part have produced.

Bottom line I have no reason to believe he is not doing exactly what he was brought in to do! :D

Great coaches have an easier time of recruiting studs.

Stan Abel who had his share of studs at OU also developed some kids who weren't bluechippers into champs and AAs. He has a very high opinion of Cael as a cosch. He says he looks to see if a team "buys" into a coaches system. The Penn State kids don't have identical styles, but you see a common thread, primarily that they pin regularly. Those 25 bonus points in the championship brackets are why PSU won last year.

bubba was going to wrestle 149 that year. molinaro had plans to get back to 141 and bubba was going to be at 149 after he became academically eligible. bubba purposely missed weight at lock haven and wrestled 165. this pushed his cert to 157 and kept cael from wrestling him that year. bubba knew he needed to get away from metcalf to get a title and he did it. congrats on the title but bubba was the one who was doing shady stuff, not cael.

Missing weight was one thing. The bigger problem: Bubba deliberately tanked classes to become academically ineligible and thus force a shirt, and then bragged about it to the papers. What part of that should Cael have kept around his program?

Missing weight was one thing. The bigger problem: Bubba deliberately tanked classes to become academically ineligible and thus force a shirt, and then bragged about it to the papers. What part of that should Cael have kept around his program?

he was ineligible in the fall and slated to go in the spring. i will believe it was an intentional move when i see his tests from the whole semester. cael was hired in late april. hard to believe bubba devised the plan to tank his finals in two weeks. taylor had not been released yet, nor had cyler when bubba would have been taking his spring finals. maybe it was spring classes that dropped him below the required gpa, but it just doesn't add up. bubba was trying to save face with those comments.

If seeing actual test scores is needed, then that's like disproving a negative. That's also saying we don't believe him ... Of course, if he merely wanted to save face, he could've said he was still working through his back injury, which was true.

What's clear and indisputable: he was a goner once he said that in the papers.

Also clear and indisputable: it worked out for both sides.

Bubba was already a more accomplished wrestler than Cyler, Bubba was already an NCAA runner-up. There was no need for Cyler on that team . Look, Cael does what is best for Cael. That's fine, most coaches are that way.

Bubba chose not to be a team player that season. The plan that would have worked for the 2009/10 season was that Molinaro would return at 141, Bubba would return 149, and Cyler would transfer and return 157 (DT would RS). That made sense and was doable, but Bubba had Bubba plans with a Bubba attitude which was likely more Bubba than team which likely didn't fly with Cael . So when Bubba failed to make weight that would have allowed him to certify at 149 for that season he became a conflict of interest at 157 which required him to RS. Part of the plan was for Cyler to give up a lot and follow his brother to Penn State and strengthen a vulnerable weight at 157, not create a log jam that inevitably caused a weak link at 141 that season with Molinaro filling the 149 spot.

Bubba chose not to be a team player that season. The plan that would have worked for the 2009/10 season was that Molinaro would return at 141, Bubba would return 149, and Cyler would transfer and return 157 (DT would RS). That made sense and was doable, but Bubba had Bubba plans with a Bubba attitude which was likely more Bubba than team which likely didn't fly with Cael . So when Bubba failed to make weight that would have allowed him to certify at 149 for that season he became a conflict of interest at 157 which required him to RS. Part of the plan was for Cyler to give up a lot and follow his brother to Penn State and strengthen a vulnerable weight at 157, not create a log jam that inevitably caused a weak link at 141 that season with Molinaro filling the 149 spot.

Apparently the good lord saw a different story, because, when it came to it.

Bubba decked the golden child that Cael intended on creating a spot via the Bubba drop.

What I think happened was this simple, Bubba wasn't the kind of wrestler Cael wanted. And I don't just mean on the mat, from the pitbulls to the attitude. And like any new coach he felt it better to clean house to build PSU in his image. And Cael as much ran Bubba off as Bubba wanted to run off.