Sign in to follow this  
Boohawk

Nevills to PSU!!!

I am not buying the "bubba chose to not be a team player" thing. How I remember it at the time was bubba didn't want to go 149 anymore. NO wrestler should be forced to cut anymore weight than they choose to cut. Bouncing bubba out of college station worked out fine for bubba maybe not so much for cael and dt.

There's really no controversy re Bubba and Cael. When Cael became the new coach, it became his responsibility to instill a team culture he thought was necessary to become successful. So he instilled a new culture at PSU, and it has worked - he's won three team titles in a row.

There's really no controversy here. That's how employers work, how churches work, and how successful D1 wrestling programs work. That's not to say that Cael's culture is the only culture that can be successful. There are plenty of others. But other team cultures would work better for a different mix of guys. All Cael can do is combine the culture he knows with the right mix of guys who can thrive in that culture.

Given the culture Cael wanted to instill, Bubba just happened to be an outlier. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just the way the chips fell. Plenty of other programs could have used Bubba, and ASU was lucky enough to land him. Just look at Dwight Howard. He signed to play for the Lakers, and he was probably excited to play alongside a bunch of other all-stars. But the culture of the team and the mix of guys just wasn't right, so he moved on to the Rockets. Howard didn't do anything wrong. It's just the way it is.

I'm sure it was super annoying for Bubba to have to move, but that's just the way life is. It's nothing he did wrong. At any rate, he's an NCAA champ, and that's all that should matter to him at this point.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the exception of that flukey 2 and out at NCAAs, didn't Bubba have better results against top NCAA competition, and better placings in national tournaments than Cyler? That's always what confused me about the situation, I felt like Bubba earned the right to finish his career the way he wanted (which he ultimately did). On the surface without knowing Cael's exact reasons it's not hard for anyone to make that leap and think he was doing this to solidify his brothers position to finish his own career. Whether that's the case or not, it was really up to the court of public opinion at that point. In the end it worked out for almost everyone anyway, no reason to be sore about it anymore.