Sign in to follow this  
rodneydeeeee

Marstellar to PSU

Wire, remember Chance still has to finish high school this season. And DT will be a Sr, this season so he will be finished when Chance enrolls for the 14/15 season. So he could start out of the gates as a true Frosh.

You are correct !!! MY BAD. I still wonder if he RS's ?? I'm a proponent of RS. Just because.... Maybe he will not need it.

He's a super talent, no doubt. I've seen him since he was pretty young, and he always impresses. HOWEVER, and I believe Tirapelle touched on this in another thread, he was ridiculously physically mature at a young age. He had an enormous physical advantage early on that will continue to even out over time.

The world is full of athletes that were youth phenoms due in part to being physically mature ahead of their peers.

It'll be interesting to see him taking on other guys as developed.

LOCK AND LOAD !!!

We kinda knew this was going to happen, yet it has to be a great day in Happy Valley. Not sure in my mind if he should RS, or "git after it" right from the git go ...

Can he be a 4X'r without a RS? Can he be a 4X'r period?

Haven't looked too closely at the returning 165 guys ... and what ever RS's that are out there that might pop up.

Nice few days for PSU ... Cael must be feeli'n good!

right here Wire, "Can he be a 4X'r without a RS? Can he be a 4X'r period? " . I was wondering what you meant as well.

I think he can be a 4x AA. Don't use his maturity as a reason for his success. Have you seen his flat out wrestling ability? Perhaps even greater than Kolat was is saying a LOT.

He's a super talent, no doubt. I've seen him since he was pretty young, and he always impresses. HOWEVER, and I believe Tirapelle touched on this in another thread, he was ridiculously physically mature at a young age. He had an enormous physical advantage early on that will continue to even out over time.

The world is full of athletes that were youth phenoms due in part to being physically mature ahead of their peers.

It'll be interesting to see him taking on other guys as developed.

Wasn't sort of the opposite argument made of David Taylor coming into PSU? "He is too small - not strong enough - not physical enough." Interesting is all.

Chance was physically mature at a young age - fine no argument. But he still came into HS at 152 lbs as a freshman, and won a state title. Followed by two more, and most likely a 4th this year. It's not as if he was wrestling a bunch of little boys...he has been wrestling (and destroying) the best of the best, in the best wrestling state (not to mention national freestyle and greco titles, as well as Cadet World level competition and success until he was injured). I think saying "it'll be interesting to see him taking on other guys as developed." is pretty unfair.

Whether he will continue on that level in D1 remains to be seen...but I do not foresee his physicality and wrestling ability "evening out" being any sort of problem.

LOCK AND LOAD !!!

We kinda knew this was going to happen, yet it has to be a great day in Happy Valley. Not sure in my mind if he should RS, or "git after it" right from the git go ...

Can he be a 4X'r without a RS? Can he be a 4X'r period?

Haven't looked too closely at the returning 165 guys ... and what ever RS's that are out there that might pop up.

Nice few days for PSU ... Cael must be feeli'n good!

right here Wire, "Can he be a 4X'r without a RS? Can he be a 4X'r period? " . I was wondering what you meant as well.

I think he can be a 4x AA. Don't use his maturity as a reason for his success. Have you seen his flat out wrestling ability? Perhaps even greater than Kolat was is saying a LOT.

"Perhaps better than Kolat " based on what? Is he even superior to guys like Stieber, Schlatter, Metcalf, or Cejudo? I've been hearing "better than Kolat " but I haven't seen anyone mention any comparable wins to Kolat 's best wins.

based on his 4 state PA AAA state championships (yes, i'll predict that), undefeated. Based on his high school skill level. How can you NOT compare him to Kolat in HS? Both are SENSATIONAL! perhaps the 2 best PA has seen. If you were from PA you'd probably agree.

based on his 4 state PA AAA state championships (yes, i'll predict that), undefeated. Based on his high school skill level. How can you NOT compare him to Kolat in HS? Both are SENSATIONAL! perhaps the 2 best PA has seen. If you were from PA you'd probably agree.

In addition to being phenomenal against HS competition, Kolat was beating grown men. When has Chance proven he can do the same? Didn't he bump up a few age divisions and get beaten by some average college wrestlers? Or was that someone else? It just seems like the Kolat comparisons automatically elevate him over some of the other HS greats of the past 10 years when it 's not obvious he should be.

What are his best wins?

he should be compared to Kolat. HS skill level...he's right there. he just majored a returning AAA state champ in Peppelman, who would've been a 2 time PA champ. this guy's the real deal, just watch. he's taking elite PA high schoolers and destroying them. just my opinion.

not sure if any average college level kids have beaten Chance or not.

he should be compared to Kolat. HS skill level...he's right there. he just majored a returning AAA state champ in Peppelman, who would've been a 2 time PA champ. this guy's the real deal, just watch. he's taking elite PA high schoolers and destroying them. just my opinion.

not sure if any average college level kids have beaten Chance or not.

So 1x champ Peppelman is his best career win? That's comparable to Kolat? Kolat proved his skill level against elite college wrestlers. Why should Chance be regularly compared to Kolat when his greatest wins are against HS kids levels below the competition Kolat proved he could beat? Just going by the facts I have, it seems Chance belongs in the Schlatter, Metcalf, Stieber, Cejudo, etc. tier.

What are his best wins?

Chance has beaten something like 10 different state champions. As a 10 grader he beat Virginia 3x Cody Allala ton win Super 32. He beat Nick Hodgkins when he was 14 and Hodgkins was 18, two weeks after Hodgkins beat James Green. He's beaten Brill, Weircioch (who himself beat Taylor Massa when Massa was #1 in h.s. ), Zac Beard, Peppleman and anyone else he has wrestled in high school.

C'mon, you are reaching. Chance is the p4p #1 for good reason.

What are his best wins?

Chance has beaten something like 10 different state champions. As a 10 grader he beat Virginia 3x Cody Allala ton win Super 32. He beat Nick Hodgkins when he was 14 and Hodgkins was 18, two weeks after Hodgkins beat James Green. He's beaten Brill, Weircioch (who himself beat Taylor Massa when Massa was #1 in h.s. ), Zac Beard, Peppleman and anyone else he has wrestled in high school.

C'mon, you are reaching. Chance is the p4p #1 for good reason.

I never said he wasn't #1 currently in HS, although I've heard arguments for Jordan. What I question is the reasoning for people putting him on par with Kolat. Yeah, he's beaten a lot of good HS wrestlers, Kolat proved he could beat elite college wrestlers. You also mention he beat guys who beat guys who were #1 in HS. Kolat beat guys who were either #1, or close to it, in college. He beat guys who were more accomplished than James Green is right now after 2 years in college.

In addition to being phenomenal against HS competition, Kolat was beating grown men. When has Chance proven he can do the same? Didn't he bump up a few age divisions and get beaten by some average college wrestlers? Or was that someone else? It just seems like the Kolat comparisons automatically elevate him over some of the other HS greats of the past 10 years when it 's not obvious he should be.

What are his best wins?

He was in 7th grade when he bumped up. And he did beat one or two. The next year the NCAA ruled to not allow it to happen any more.

Guest Hammerlock3

The comparison between Marstellar and Kolat is laughable. Kolat got third at midlands his sophmore year, Marstellar doesn't have any wins outside of his age group.

What are his best wins?

He was in 7th grade when he bumped up. And he did beat one or two. The next year the NCAA ruled to not allow it to happen any more.

Could you elaborate? Bumped up where? Beat who?

Pretty sure Marsteller hasnt been able to wrestle in college tourneys since 8th or 9th grade. Kid is an extraordinary talent regardless.

Time will tell how good he becomes. Glad to have him at PSU.

I may be in the minority, but I see Chance as a 157 early in his college career.

What are his best wins?

Could you elaborate? Bumped up where? Beat who?

Nittany Lion Open but you're the one that said he bumped up first. I just paraphrased you.

Marstellar majored Arty Walsh after as a 7th grader, right after Arty won a PIAA state title.

Even before Chance wrestled a single HS match, he beat Nick Hodgkins the same year Nick went undefeated as a senior and won a PA state title. Nick went 2,1,3,1 his 4 years at the PIAA tournament. And Chance controlled Nick the whole match. That same year at the dapper dan Nick Hodgkins beat the number 1 ranked HS kid Alex Dierenger handily. The same Direnger who placed 3rd this year at the NCAA tourney.

Beat state champ Brill.

Beat state champ Peppleman.

Beat state champ Weircoch.

Just to name a few.

Guest Hammerlock3

So whats your point?

You're ruling the argument against the guy who says he's not good, cause that person doesn't exist.

Marsteller is a stud, and everyone agrees on that. There's really no use in splitting hairs, trying to define how much of a stud he is.

If Marsteller wants to be a stud in college, he will have to improve and grow as a wrestler. That will require being coachable and buying into PSU's program. And if he wants to make a world team and compete with the world's elite, he'll have to get even beyond the level it takes to be an NCAA champ. If being on a world team is Marsteller's goal, then he has a long road ahead, and I'm rooting for him to reach his potential, whatever that is.

Kolat won Cadet Worlds.

Your arguments are somewhat flawed. 7th grader beating high schoolers does not equal high schooler beating college guys. Perhaps Marstellar matured a bit early but in college everyone is mature.

We know many people that were nobodies in HS and won in college and vice versa. Our own Stan Dziedzik is a good example of college success. On the other hand clearly Kieldgaard was no worse than Marstellar beating Sanderson in HS and killing many other state champs but struggled in college.