Sign in to follow this  
Hall Sr

Who got the Best Deal

it's silly to continually listen to these same people downplay Cael's results. Really silly.

While it is true that the best athletes in their respective sport don't always make the best coaches...this is not the case people. Open your eyes, and i'm not even a PSU fan.

He recruits the best athletes, he trains them to become champions !! He makes great wrestlers greater.

As to if it's coaching or recruiting.......... a great coach once told me "the better recruiting I did the better coach I was"

You can't pull the wagon without the horses!! I don't care how good a coach you are.

No one knows who will get the most out of any of these kids, but to flat-out say the PSU staff is better...I'm not too sure. No question, PSU has the results in the NCAA, but with regards to freestyle and World Team Members, then the Columbus RTC, Roselli and co make this argument kinda pointless. They have the most world team members by far. Bo can come in, and immediately have Gavin, Pucillo, Sponseller and the like getting him better, along with his old high school mentor David Taylor. Don't forget his dad and uncle are the Jordan brothers: Bo WILL get all the coaching he needs to go as far as he wants. Snyder will have Tervel, Rowlands, and co to make him better. Time will only tell, but I don't think coaching will be a problem for the OSU guys at all, and if you include assistant coaching staffs, the argument...again becomes moot. The problem, though for OSU, is that they must get a few more studs, as they can't lose annually, in recruiting battles, especially in the numbers.

No one knows who will get the most out of any of these kids, but to flat-out say the PSU staff is better...I'm not too sure. No question, PSU has the results in the NCAA, but with regards to freestyle and World Team Members, then the Columbus RTC, Roselli and co make this argument kinda pointless. They have the most world team members by far. Bo can come in, and immediately have Gavin, Pucillo, Sponseller and the like getting him better, along with his old high school mentor David Taylor. Don't forget his dad and uncle are the Jordan brothers: Bo WILL get all the coaching he needs to go as far as he wants. Snyder will have Tervel, Rowlands, and co to make him better. Time will only tell, but I don't think coaching will be a problem for the OSU guys at all, and if you include assistant coaching staffs, the argument...again becomes moot. The problem, though for OSU, is that they must get a few more studs, as they can't lose annually, in recruiting battles, especially in the numbers.

We all do foolish things …usually with enthusiasm.

2016 I like the odds for the NLWC...Do your homework!!!

We all do foolish things …usually with enthusiasm.

I don't have a dog in this fight as I prefer to see my midwest teams (particularly Mizzou). However, to question his ability to coach is ridiculous. There are plenty of postings on what he as done at PSU, but even when at ISU he did an outstanding job, and I rooted against them because of my tigers.

Big 12 Champs ; 2nd NCAA ; Big 12 Coach of the Year ; NCAA Coach of the Year ; 4 All-Americans

Big 12 Champs ; 5th NCAA ; 7 AA's

Big 12 Champs -- 3rd NCAA ; 4 AA's

If I am not mistaking he qualified all 10 wrestlers all three years.

I know people will say they were Douglas recruits, but now that he is at PSU people only credit his coaching. Even though some of those guys came in under Douglas they performed well under Cael, and he was brand new then. I don't even know that Douglas strung together three consecutive seasons like that, and certainly not with the guys Cael took over. That isn't a knock on Bobby. It is a statement of Cael because I think Douglas was an amazing coach. When Cael left Iowa State everyone said "wait and see", Know that he is more seasoned and has posted 3 back to back titles people still find reasons to knock him. It's just dumb. I haven't run the numbers but I would venture to guess he has sent more wrestlers to the NCAA than any other coach over that same time frame. MAYBE the first year at PSU dings that mark, but he has sent almost his entire team every year he has coached. Regardless if you are a fan or not, how can you not be impressed. Even if he does get great recruits. How many times do people read about great recruits not panning out for teams. His recruits seem to pan out for the most part.

Collegiate wrestling is largely a recruiting game. The biggest battle is putting talent on the roster. Getting them to perform to ability works with some exceeding capacity and others falling short of it. But on average, just about what the roster is capable of and expected.

I didn't think murderers row would live up to the hype or coaching...Coaching and support down for the "Big Red"...They failed...Mr. Ruth has just about destroyed all your marbles but that is what happens in the B1G...Happy 4TH :) :) :)

Collegiate wrestling is largely a recruiting game. The biggest battle is putting talent on the roster. Getting them to perform to ability works with some exceeding capacity and others falling short of it. But on average, just about what the roster is capable of and expected.

Tough to say who got the best deal until we see how they develop. Looks pretty even right now to me.

As for the coaching question, tOSU has had many great recruits that haven't panned out. Cael seems to have maximized his roster more than tOSU has. To me, that equals better coaching. Along those lines, I'd also put the coaching at Minn, Iowa, Cornell and Okie State ahead of tOSU.

Tough to say who got the best deal until we see how they develop. Looks pretty even right now to me.

As for the coaching question, tOSU has had many great recruits that haven't panned out. Cael seems to have maximized his roster more than tOSU has. To me, that equals better coaching. Along those lines, I'd also put the coaching at Minn, Iowa, Cornell and Okie State ahead of tOSU.

Astute comment. Ryan has done a good job at tOSU...but not a great job. I won't bother to list all the recruits that have come and gone but it's a high number. It's been Ryan's biggest flaw.

Cael has done a great job not only with his high caliber recruits but guys like Conaway, Vollrath, English, etc...His guys seem to develop. There seems to be a real good vibe in the PSU room which leads to overachievement among their walk-ons and the knack for peaking when it matters.