Sign in to follow this  
Hall Sr

Thomas Haines

I have been tempted many times to cite the misuse of "dominate" when someone meant "dominant." But after all, this is a message board, not an English lit class at Yale. But when someone used bad grammar in the very sentence in which they were citing someone for using bad grammar, I couldn't hold back any longer. And while it is true that this is just a message board, it is also true that what many people are doing in their posts is trying to persuade people to their point of view and I would just observe that using poor English is not going to make you seem more persuasive. Just sayin'

I suppose we'll learn soon enough if PSU ends up with Nevills over Haines, and whether Nevills pans out better than Haines if we see them compete with other teams. I've looked at video of both wrestlers and would choose Nevills over Haines for the Penn State squad. Yeah, I didn't look at what year Haines graduates but I included in the paragraph a bit of a disclaimer (ie: "if I'm not mistaken"). Who cares anyway? The "LIONS" have Nevills! They both look like tough hombres. It really depends how they transition and how they respond to the coaches anyway, doesn't it?

Coming from the guy that doesn't understand the concept of capitalization. Proper nouns such as Bubba, Taylor, Molinaro and the first the word of a sentence should all be capitalized.......but you go on thinking your intelligent enough to lecture/insult other board members.

you're*

:P Just messing around, FT

LOL! It's a vicious cycle, isn't it.

When I saw that Nevillis committed to PSU, and Haines having gotten bigger already this summer, I started thinking about where else he would end up.

I think UMD would be a great fit for him. Not too far from home. Kerry McCoy to work with. Ability to redshirt a season behind Myers. Dominate the ACC.

Does the unknown nature of trying to fit a HS 220 into a College HWT help somewhat come into play here, especially when your able to land a proven HS HWT? I've seen several great HS guys around 215/220 never end up having the size for a tough HWT nor able to cut down a weight either. Could the ? of having a 220 try fit into the mold of a college HWT play into why Penn State was open to Nevills coming in when try already knew they had Haines?

Does the unknown nature of trying to fit a HS 220 into a College HWT help somewhat come into play here, especially when your able to land a proven HS HWT? I've seen several great HS guys around 215/220 never end up having the size for a tough HWT nor able to cut down a weight either. Could the ? of having a 220 try fit into the mold of a college HWT play into why Penn State was open to Nevills coming in when try already knew they had Haines?

Kerry MCCoy, Stephen Neal, Tommy Rowlands, Tony Nelson and on and on....were not heavyweights in HS. I bet if you ran the numbers only half the NCAA champs at heavyweight were heavyweights in HS since they added 215-220 in high school. Cael thinks Nevills is better, simple as that. I would tend to agree based on what I've seen.

Kerry MCCoy, Stephen Neal, Tommy Rowlands, Tony Nelson and on and on....were not heavyweights in HS. I bet if you ran the numbers only half the NCAA champs at heavyweight were heavyweights in HS since they added 215-220 in high school. Cael thinks Nevills is better, simple as that. I would tend to agree based on what I've seen.

While I know there have been some though 215/220 that did well at HWT, I'd be suprised at half being below HWT there last year of HS. Not saying your not right, but I'd be supeised (I've somehow developed the impression that several top ranked HS 220 didn't end up panning out at college HWT). But rather than just champ I'd be interested in what HS weight the last 15 years of NCAA HWT AA wrestlered.

When I saw that Nevillis committed to PSU, and Haines having gotten bigger already this summer, I started thinking about where else he would end up.

I think UMD would be a great fit for him. Not too far from home. Kerry McCoy to work with. Ability to redshirt a season behind Myers. Dominate the ACC.

Thomas will not Dominate the ACC, U can count on it ;)

Well, now you are getting past my rudimentary math skills. But you could argue that the 3 best heavweights in college next year were all 215 pounders in HS (Fortune, Nelson, Gwiazdowski.) I am not saying that 215/220 pounder will do better than 285 pounders in college, but certainly there are a lot of them that did really well. I don't know that you can say one weight class does better than the other at the next level.

Well, now you are getting past my rudimentary math skills. But you could argue that the 3 best heavweights in college next year were all 215 pounders in HS (Fortune, Nelson, Gwiazdowski.) I am not saying that 215/220 pounder will do better than 285 pounders in college, but certainly there are a lot of them that did really well. I don't know that you can say one weight class does better than the other at the next level.

Guess we need to get a bored stat person on this one. Then after that they can look at how any stud 112/113 (and maybe 119/120) HS kids which made it on to DI programs has fared at 125, since the undersized argument seems to be the other recruiting issue that comes up.

I am kind of surprised and potentially disappointed that Haines backed out. I write potentially because I do not know the dollar amounts and details. Every weight at PSU is deep. Every kid has to battle for his spot, potentially ride the pine or redshirt. I would rather see Haines come in with a chip on his shoulder with the attitude that he would keep Nevills on the bench and take any money he was getting. Attitude is huge in college.

Now - this post may be pre-mature since I don't have any real details but this is the first reaction based on info provided on themat forum.

Haines is a blast to watch, I hope he ends up well.

Not often I will say this about a PA 4x (potential), but I think the other guy would beat him.

Haines was a 220 last season. Maybe he'll be at 240 this year and wrestling h.s. Hwt, but I don;'t see him beating Nevills at 285. Not right now.

Maybe Haines fills out and becomes unbeatable. He certainly has raw athletic talent. Hopefully Cael made the right choice for Penn State. I trust him.

Haines vs Snyder Super32 2012 (Haines Loses this one)

Haines vs Stone Super 32 2011

Snyder beats Nevills @ Flonationals 2012

Kyle Snyder committed to tOSU.

Excerpt from the FLO article re: Haines:

On Monday, Thomas’ father, David cleared the air. “Thomas will not be going to Penn State,” he said. “Thomas isn’t exactly upset, but it took him by surprise. He thought Cael looked on him favorably. But we understand that’s the nature of recruiting; one door closes, another one opens.”