Sign in to follow this  
Hall Sr

Thomas Haines

What happened is PSU offered Haines "x" amount of money and Haines Committed... Then PSU landed Nevilles at which time PSU went back to Haines and said we don't have the money that we offered you before. Haines and his family felt slighted and decided to go elsewhere.

I'm pretty sure this is inaccurate, Truth. An insider over at BWI stated earlier tonight that Haines was not offered any money.

What happened is PSU offered Haines "x" amount of money and Haines Committed... Then PSU landed Nevilles at which time PSU went back to Haines and said we don't have the money that we offered you before. Haines and his family felt slighted and decided to go elsewhere.

If you think for a minute it was because of competition in the room you are crazy. This is clearly a case of PSU pulling the money on Haines to give to Nevilles. They got an in-state HWT and felt good about him until they had the opportunity to land someone they felt was better and went for the kid they thought was better even though they already committed money to someone else.

this seems likely

Or not.

exactly

I'm pretty sure this is inaccurate, Truth. An insider over at BWI stated earlier tonight that Haines was not offered any money.

As in they wanted him to walk on? Get serious.

Guest Hammerlock3

my previous post here was misleading but I didn't see the delete button

no way the #5 kid overall was walking on. He would not need to commit in November to walk on. Penn State couldn't officially offer money until July 1, but he was promised something.

Guest Hammerlock3

Sorry I posted previously that I had heard they asked him to walk on, I meant after dumping him, not last november.

I read the "insider info" last night at BWI. spent an hour on that site. my IQ officially dropped 100 points. They, in their stupidity, accused Carl and crew of at least 7 NCAA violations.

Here is how this went down- everyone who knows anything knows it's accurate

Haines took an unoffical or contacted PSU himself and said he was coming. Carl said awesome, don't worry about nthe money, we will take care of you. or something vague like that- a common one would be-we will get you 40% in athletic money- that's the most we give incoming guys- if you come here and place we will bump you up. We love you, you are our guy. We have Varner and NLWC and you will be a part of championship teams and meet your goals

Then Nevellis comes. the convo is like this- everything we said is still true, but you are going to have to walk on. Hammond and Law are walking on. If you do what we think you can, we will get you some money. Now you have one of the best partners in the country. One of you will red shirt, the other will redshirt and than the better guy will start. we don't see why you wouldn't want to be here.

pretty simple

I just looked on mapquest and his high school is a mere 90 miles from College Park, MD. The TERPS will gladly welcome him I am sure. It will also give him the Big10 competition w/his family in the stands.

I read the "insider info" last night at BWI. spent an hour on that site. my IQ officially dropped 100 points.

I actually find the BWI forum very instructive, as I am sure Tommy Haines must, as well - judging from the beating he's taking over there, I expect he must be feeling relieved that he's NOT headed to PSU! :roll:

I just looked on mapquest and his high school is a mere 90 miles from College Park, MD. The TERPS will gladly welcome him I am sure. It will also give him the Big10 competition w/his family in the stands.

RDA, I agree UMD may be a good fit for Haines, but I think Cornell would be even better! ;)

Kerry McCoy should make sure that his cell phone is charged. Yeah, I'm thinking that Maryland would be great for Haines, with many chances to derail at least one B1G wrestler on the PSU "train." Revenge is best served cold.

Lemon Pie,

My initial thought was Pitt as well. It's in state, quality program that produces quality results in the upper weights. Lots of talent to train with.

It's just gravy that it's the in state rival of PSU, maybe an opportunity to prove people wrong.

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/07/penn_states_cael_sanderson_cha.html

Don't all y'all line up to congratulate me for being dean on.

big hit to Carl's integrity

Unbelievable. I always thought Cael's word was stronger than oak, and never thought he would pull something like this to on an in state (possible) 4xer. If he wasn't sure about Haines, he shouldn't have given a verbal. According to the article, Cael didn't even want to offer him the chance to win the spot...WOW.

I think there's probably more here than is being said. It's unfair to accept one side of the story as absolute fact when the other side legally (NCAA rules) cannot be told.

At worst, I'd see if it becomes a pattern before branding someone has having no integrity.

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/07/penn_states_cael_sanderson_cha.html

Don't all y'all line up to congratulate me for being dean on.

big hit to Carl's integrity

Unbelievable. I always thought Cael's word was stronger than oak, and never thought he would pull something like this to on an in state (possible) 4xer. If he wasn't sure about Haines, he shouldn't have given a verbal. According to the article, Cael didn't even want to offer him the chance to win the spot...WOW.[/quote

If you are saying Cael gave a "verbal" you are mistaken. Verbals are given by the athlete, Lotsa times, verbals are unsolicited.

I think there's probably more here than is being said. It's unfair to accept one side of the story as absolute fact when the other side legally (NCAA rules) cannot be told.

At worst, I'd see if it becomes a pattern before branding someone has having no integrity.

I don't think that we'll ever hear that "other side of the story." Moreover, these are not equal sides. One is a high school student hoping to earn an athletic scholarship to college. The other is the leading wrestling coach in the nation, with a position of power and a phalanx of fans to support him. While it IS unfair to accept one side of this story as absolute fact, it is also unfair for fans to criticize this kid on the boards because the coach changed his mind about offering a scholarship. There seems to be a lot of unfairness going around these days.

As you said, perhaps there's more. But as you also suggested, if this develops into a pattern of behavior, then some criticism would be justified.

"Lotsa times, verbals are unsolicited."

Not true. It sometimes happens they don't end up the way of the verbal but there is a lot of background communication going on before a kid publicly comments.