Sign in to follow this  
wrestle09

University worlds

The Kazan site (http://kazan2013.ru/) says it will have feeds to most, if not all, sports. Best way to navigate the site is either through the english side (bunch of broken links) or to use Google Chrome and let the page translate for you.

We'll post it on the Internationalwrestling.org site when/if it does happen.

Stan, with all that you have going on right now with the IOC, FILA, rules, etc, it is mindboggling that you choose to spend your time and effort debating the definition of a "world champion" on someone's website. Especially considering that someone is one of the greatest American wrestlers of all time, has extensive domestic and international wrestling experience, and posses not only the experience but the intelligence to articulate his very valid concerns in a time of crisis for our sport. Once again, where you (FILA) should be embracing ideas, you take any criticism or suggestion as a threat to your omnipotent power.

What I find odd but par for the course is that while you've had time to make 5 posts about the titling of a website and your own meaningless personal vendetta, you seem to have little time for discussion of the rules that govern our sport and its future and perhaps fate, if changes are not made.

You are the true epitome of what FILA has become, and nowhere in that lies a compliment.

Amen. That was embarrassing to read. Although I did enjoy his use of the :?: emoticon.

No wonder wrestling is where it is internationally.

olddirty,

My assumption is that many, if not most, coaches of world champions are not world champions themselves. Aren't they telling their athletes how to be a world champion?

I would say that if you have personally coached a guy to a world title, then you can tell them what they need to do to become one. If my college coach told me that I would never be a world champ unless I did so and so, I wouldnt just take it as gold. Mark Manning told me, I wouldnt doubt it, even though he was not a world champ himself.

I agree with Stan, that someone who calls themself a world champion that wasnt a senior level world champ, I would find that disingenuous. I won the NAGA world championships last year. I would feel like a real fraud if I conveniently left out the "NAGA" and just listed myself as a world champ. That could literally mean anything and people will often draw inaccurate conclusions. I think that is what Stan is going for here. However, that does not make Schalles opinions about USAW or FILA invalid.

What is stated is still true as Schalles calls it. Honestly, if he was just a sports writer it would still be a very compelling argument.

tirapell, I agree, it's not a good way to "spend your time debating the definition of a World Champ..." But the strategist keep prodding me to drive social media content--"It's good for wrestling." My 1st instinct is the same as yours. But since I'm en route to Chile for 6 days [Jr Pan Am Champ and western hemisphere rules clinic], I thought it be good time to call-out someone who's doing the sport a disservice in its attempt to remain in the Olympic program and drive content on a social media.

I'm glad you anoint Wade w/the moniker 'extensive intern'l experience'. Please tell us what his experience is. Is it wrestling in Tibilisi and the World Univ Games???

Back to the issue---self-promotion @ the expense of the sport of wrestling. For me: withholding germane information from your readers, is tantamount to a lie. Other ethical compasses may point in a different direction.

I stand by my point: I question the veracity and the motivation of Wade's article. Think read between the lines! Working on Wall St taught me: self-promotion often blurs one's vision. And I'd say, Wade needs powerful glasses.--

Stan,

I greatly appreciate your efforts on behalf of the sport, and your accomplishments as an athlete. Further, I don't know Wade as a person and can't speak to his intelligence.

Still, your approach is reprehensible. You avoid his criticism by discrediting his self promotion, and in turn his accomplishments. While not a true "world champion"', there are none on this board who will suggest Wade is not an expert in our field (wrestling). The right thing to do would be to counterpoint the man head on with good answers to his criticism. Get it together, because you're making us all look bad with your tactics.

Stan,

I greatly appreciate your efforts on behalf of the sport, and your accomplishments as an athlete. Further, I don't know Wade as a person and can't speak to his intelligence.

Still, your approach is reprehensible. You avoid his criticism by discrediting his self promotion, and in turn his accomplishments. While not a true "world champion"', there are none on this board who will suggest Wade is not an expert in our field (wrestling). The right thing to do would be to counterpoint the man head on with good answers to his criticism. Get it together, because you're making us all look bad with your tactics.

Agreed. Before reading this thread, I was actually on Stan/USA Wrestling's side. He has a very difficult job negotiating with the other countries as far as rules/politics are concerned. Moreover, dealing with criticism from US wrestling fans who question every move they make is likely thoroughly frustrating.

However, it is an utter disgrace that he continues to attack Schalles' character while never once addressing any point that he or us fans have brought up.

Back to the issue---self-promotion @ the expense of the sport of wrestling. For me: withholding germane information from your readers, is tantamount to a lie. Other ethical compasses may point in a different direction.

I stand by my point: I question the veracity and the motivation of Wade's article. Think read between the lines! Working on Wall St taught me: self-promotion often blurs one's vision. And I'd say, Wade needs powerful glasses.--

The opinions that Schalles has voiced in his blog posts are not held by only him. A number of people have voiced similar views on themat, facebook, twitter, etc. That doesn't mean that they are right, and USA wrestling likely isn't as much to blame as they suggest. However, your persistence in going after Schalles' character while refusing to address any of his points or those raised by others on themat/facebook/twitter is disgraceful from somebody in your position. If you want to suggest he has some type of ulterior motive, you first need to address his criticisms.

For me, the most unbelievable aspect of your entire attack here has been your eagerness to discredit the importance of the University world games. Part of your job needs to be to foster fan interest, but it seems you would rather do the opposite.

tirapell, I agree, it's not a good way to "spend your time debating the definition of a World Champ..." But the strategist keep prodding me to drive social media content--"It's good for wrestling." My 1st instinct is the same as yours. But since I'm en route to Chile for 6 days [Jr Pan Am Champ and western hemisphere rules clinic], I thought it be good time to call-out someone who's doing the sport a disservice in its attempt to remain in the Olympic program and drive content on a social media.

I'm glad you anoint Wade w/the moniker 'extensive intern'l experience'. Please tell us what his experience is. Is it wrestling in Tibilisi and the World Univ Games???

Perhaps your time on Wall Street has also caused you to only see quarterly results. Are you winning a meaningless battle with no relation to the actual broader conflict? To many it seems the members of FILA are bailing the water coming into their state rooms out into the neighboring rooms on the sinking ship of international wrestling.

Looks like Ruth has Iran followed by Armenia. That a tough back to back country draw, especially for someone still trying to get a feel for freestyle.

All of them end up with a tough match by the second rounds going by a counties wrestling reputation. Hopefully we are ready to do battle early.

I haven't heard of Ruth's Iranian opponent, though I'm sure he's very tough. The Armenian is veteran Musa Murtazaliev, who Burroughs crushed down at 74kg, but he's won medals at several major tournaments including Senior European Championships. If he gets past those two, Ruth gets rewarded with a quarterfinal match-up against the Russian National champ!

I am not that surprised that Ruth lost. Watching Ruth at US open(?) he just didn't look comfortable or confident. Confidence is a huge factor at this level. Ruth can be a crusher in FS like folk style as he Gaines experience and confidence.

Tyrell Fortune's freestyle future is extremely bright. He has gone 2-1 so far. He won twice, 8-0, and 8-0. He just lost his quarterfinal 7-5 against the Ukrainian. If Ukrainian wins he can still wrestle for the Bronze.

Russia has all four of their wrestlers in the semi's.