Sign in to follow this  
wrestle09

University worlds

Jeez bracket rigging at University's as well. It seems the US can't win a medal in international competition unless the brackets are fixed for them.

Not sure if it were rigged because other brackets looked ok but it was definitely an easier half for US. That is the kind of bravado I dislike when sober thinking points to luck more than greatness on Fortune's win.

Jeez bracket rigging at University's as well. It seems the US can't win a medal in international competition unless the brackets are fixed for them.

Not sure if it were rigged because other brackets looked ok but it was definitely an easier half for US. That is the kind of bravado I dislike when sober thinking points to luck more than greatness on Fortune's win.

Can you please tell us your opinion not using English that would look out of place in a Nigerian solicitation email?

tirapell, I agree, it's not a good way to "spend your time debating the definition of a World Champ..." But the strategist keep prodding me to drive social media content--"It's good for wrestling." My 1st instinct is the same as yours. But since I'm en route to Chile for 6 days [Jr Pan Am Champ and western hemisphere rules clinic], I thought it be good time to call-out someone who's doing the sport a disservice in its attempt to remain in the Olympic program and drive content on a social media.

I'm glad you anoint Wade w/the moniker 'extensive intern'l experience'. Please tell us what his experience is. Is it wrestling in Tibilisi and the World Univ Games???

Back to the issue---self-promotion @ the expense of the sport of wrestling. For me: withholding germane information from your readers, is tantamount to a lie. Other ethical compasses may point in a different direction.

I stand by my point: I question the veracity and the motivation of Wade's article. Think read between the lines! Working on Wall St taught me: self-promotion often blurs one's vision. And I'd say, Wade needs powerful glasses.--

Geez Stan, if you are going to openly ignore all questions and just come on this board and continue being a d*ck then I think you should put the shovel down and shut up. I once had a good amount of respect for you but there is nothing good or useful about any of your posts in this thread. As Madmartigan has posted there have been dozens of questions directly posted for you and instead of answering any of them you come on the board and ignore them while bashing a wrestling great because he disagrees with you. What a class act.

It boggles my mind that Ruth gets beat in international style. It isn't THAT different.

you're right the styles aren't THAT different. the competition is. who has he beat in folkstyle that is comparable to who he faces in freestyle? a kid who places or wins ncaa is a level or more lower than than freestyle guys he can't beat. he'd lose to the same guys in folkstyle if they trained for that style.

I am glad for Fortune's bronze but his half was very weak. Akgul techs the Ukrainian.

I love how in the last Olympics you dismissed Varner's gold because his opponent was tired from being on the good half. Now when a guy wins by TF in the finals you say it is because he was on the good half. Which is it? By your original logic, Fortune's half is the good half since the Ukranian was clearly tired from winning that side of the bracket.

You continue to show a mind blowing level of incompetence in your trolling. You need to start charting your troll attempts so that you can be more careful not to step on your failing logic at a later date. If you at least maintained some consistency you could more easily pretend to be a real person who had opinions by which you posted, rather than a clearly fake identity who has no real opinions, only inconsistent attempts at trolling.

This is the nature of having two bronze medals, which I disagree with, there is almost always one side that's not as tough or deep. You don't peep up when it favors another country though, and do not mention when Americans face the tougher half. Oh right, I forgot, the brackets tend to be rigged for Americans. :roll: They must have slipped up at 74kg for tomorrow.

It boggles my mind that Ruth gets beat in international style. It isn't THAT different.

you're right the styles aren't THAT different. the competition is. who has he beat in folkstyle that is comparable to who he faces in freestyle? a kid who places or wins ncaa is a level or more lower than than freestyle guys he can't beat. he'd lose to the same guys in folkstyle if they trained for that style.

Ruth is the complete package. It's like he needs a sports psychologist to get his head right regarding international style. Ruth's beaten the crap out of top flight competition in folkstyle. He has all the right tools to translate to freestyle. It's not like his mat work in folk is that great compared to his takedowns, chainwrestling to takedowns, and defense.

..Ed needs to learn how to belly out/hips down after being taken down and how to defend a leg attack with a crotch lift.

..he really needs to work out with Dake because the Kid could show Ed how to wrestle like a beast in FS

..I'm not sure how long Ed has seriously wrestled FS, but the learning curve should not be this steep.

..Ed is a more of a control type wrestler at this point. He'd probably pin or tech his way through the bracket if folkstyle rules were used.

bwh, you are just blind. I said Ruth's position in the bracket was very tough. I call it both ways.

barret,

In the Olympics at 96 the toughest guy did not come from the tough half because he got hurt. So, Varner wrestled a relatively weak opponent in the finals. At HWT today sure Akgul had a tougher half but his opponent in the finals was so weak that it didn't matter. Getting tired from a tough half matters only when your opponent in the finals is very tough but had a cake half. Kind of like Kudukhov vs Askarov. Kudukhov had a killer half and Askariov did not and then was fresher in the finals.

bwh, you are just blind. I said Ruth's position in the bracket was very tough. I call it both ways.

barret,

In the Olympics at 96 the toughest guy did not come from the tough half because he got hurt. So, Varner wrestled a relatively weak opponent in the finals. At HWT today sure Akgul had a tougher half but his opponent in the finals was so weak that it didn't matter. Getting tired from a tough half matters only when your opponent in the finals is very tough but had a cake half. Kind of like Kudukhov vs Askarov. Kudukhov had a killer half and Askariov did not and then was fresher in the finals.

The difference is that you complain, or even suggest rigged brackets, when it occurs in favor of Americans.

I did not suggest anything like that today. At Olympics it was blatant and easily visible.

And honestly I never see easy brackets for Iran or Russia. For Americans very often.

You said that Fortune wouldn't have medaled if he was in the other half and that his bracket was easy.

Easy but not necessarily rigged. I also said he was lucky meaning it was not intentional.

Then I guess Varner happened to be lucky too. It's nearly impossible to rig the brackets according to several people who've wrestled overseas. Have you? Other than your limited college experiences here? Getting pushed out 6 times and losing by tech fall doesn't count either.

Most of my knowledge about wrestling comes from two of my neighbors who were good Soviet wrestlers and immigrated here a while ago. They themselves do not visit this forum but tell me about Russian wrestling events and stuff.

Most of my knowledge about wrestling comes from two of my neighbors who were good Soviet wrestlers and immigrated here a while ago. They themselves do not visit this forum but tell me about Russian wrestling events and stuff.

Was one of them Yakov Smirnoff by any chance?