Sign in to follow this  
RoarLions

Who's moving weights this year?

Logan Stieber to 141

Doesn't that also mean that Hunter is going to 149?

Last I heard Hunter's redshirting and Ian Paddock is manning 149. On an unrelated note, Ryan Mango is going back to 133 coming off his redshirt.

I've seen quite a bit of talk of at least one, and possibly both, Lester brothers being off the team this coming season. I hear Matt is gone for sure, but don't know if there's any validity to this claim. I expect Brewer will be at 141 for the Sooners either way.

Logan Stieber to 141

Doesn't that also mean that Hunter is going to 149?

Last I heard Hunter's redshirting and Ian Paddock is manning 149. On an unrelated note, Ryan Mango is going back to 133 coming off his redshirt.

I'd like to see Mango at 133. Everyone is already writing Ramos down as the national champion at 133, winning every match all through the season by tech fall.

If Mango is at 133, I'm going with Mango in that match. ;)

Ramos is certainly no lock to be the champ, especially since he was a stall call away from losing to Graff this year in a very competitive match, and I haven't heard anything about Graff moving up. But Ramos has to be considered the favorite right now by any objective measure. Mango will be competitive, but he too has a lot to worry about before winning anything, not the least of which is avenging a loss to Mark Grey, who has yet to wrestle as a greyshirt freshman.

Mango will definitely be a threat this year. As an Iowa fan I have no delusions that Ramos will walk through everyone. If Mango looks as good as he did at midlands and can stay at that level all season, he will give Ramos all he can handle. Graff I am not so worried about. Yes, the match was close at nationals, but their match at BT tournament was pretty much controlled by Ramos, despite what the scoreboard said. Plus, Graff has some real head scratcher losses due to his gas tank.

I would love to see Ramos vs Mango at the All-Star. Perfect match up because I don't think they will see each other too much during the regular season, if at all. And I think it would be an absolute war and crowd pleaser!

This also assumes that he beats out Wolfensperger for the slot, but I'm also on record on here as saying that, due to Colon's style, Colon will give Ramos all that he can handle in the UNI/Iowa dual this year.

NOT saying that Colon necessarily beats him, but he'll give Ramos all that he can handle.

KingofBing, i am going to tell Mark you are off your game when I see him tomorrow.

Kendric Maple was at 141 last year., Nick Lester has been at 149 the past two seasons. Mark said he weighed in at 146 a few times last year and never looked sucked down. He'll have to make the cut if he wants to start, he is not is not beating Maple.

Green dropping down to 145.5 for Universities and WTT was surprising to me.

Aren't those intl. weigh ins much easier though? I recall the first time that Mike Zadick wrestled at 132 that people were shocked, until someone posted the rules concerning intl. weigh ins and how much more flexible they are. Think of the numbers of people in recent years who've wrestled way below their college weights on the intl. level.

Wish I could recall how they work.

Freestyle weighins are done the evening before the tournament and its a 1 time weigh in. So the next day everyone is 15+ pounds heavier,folkstyle has it right. Although I think they should run college tournaments like high school, where multiple day tournaments you get 1 pound per day.

The rules are different, but Green also said in his interview that he doesn't cut weight at all during the college season. So I'm guessing he could make 149 if he wanted to without a great deal of trouble. Then again if he goes for most of his career not cutting weight, even a small cut could be taxing.

KingofBing, i am going to tell Mark you are off your game when I see him tomorrow.

Kendric Maple was at 141 last year., Nick Lester has been at 149 the past two seasons. Mark said he weighed in at 146 a few times last year and never looked sucked down. He'll have to make the cut if he wants to start, he is not is not beating Maple.

I'm sure Mark can't wait to hear this from you.

BigApple,

Mark and I go too far back for him to believe I'm capable of such an egregious faux pas. He's way more likely to accept that Vak hacked my account to make me look bad.

Or did Maker's Mark have some role here? Hmmmm

I did see him today, but didn't bring it up. I may have added to Kendric Maple's arsenal. We'll see if he oicks up the Kilgore switch from the knees. Kendric said one reason he's going 149 is he will start competing in freestyle at 145.5 after the upcoming season.

Freestyle weighins are done the evening before the tournament and its a 1 time weigh in. So the next day everyone is 15+ pounds heavier,folkstyle has it right. Although I think they should run college tournaments like high school, where multiple day tournaments you get 1 pound per day.

Umm, they already do give 1 pound a day at NCAAs. Not sure about Midlands, etc.

Umm, they already do give 1 pound a day at NCAAs. Not sure about Midlands, etc.

Yes, there is a 1 pound allowance each day after day 1 for all tournaments (Midlands, the Scuffle, etc.). It does not apply to dual or triangular meets where a team wrestles on consecutive days. From the rulebook...

In tournaments, including team-advancement tournaments requiring multiple-day weigh-ins, a 1-pound allowance for each consecutive day of competition shall be granted.

and...

Subsequent-day Weigh-Ins. Dual meets and multiday dual meets shall be conducted with no weight allowance permitted, nor can an allowance be mutually agreed upon.

One difference is the time of weigh-in for tournaments...it's 2 hours or less before the first match on day 1, and 1 hour or less on days 2 and beyond.