Sign in to follow this  
okwrestle

Joey Davis

He is the real deal. Won DII's.

But to put things in perspective, he did lose a barn-burner at Junior WTT's to Rogers of Okie State, who has yet to start at the DI level.

Makes you think, don't it?

But to put things in perspective, he did lose a barn-burner at Junior WTT's to Rogers of Okie State, who has yet to start at the DI level.

Makes me think I'd rather see folkstyle results between the 2 - as I don't believe Joey Davis has had much freestyle experience.

Guest Hammerlock3

If I had to bet my life, I would say can't or won't do his homework, in an extreme way or he would be at nebraska by now.

Well, that's not really fair since Rogers was redshirting this year, not sitting out due to incompetence.

Guest Hammerlock3

Vak,

People are gonna take your last comment as a shot at Davis' failure to compete at a d1 institution

Hammer, are you saying he isn't at a D1 school because he can't hack it in the classroom? If so, I disagree - he is at Notre Dame not some community college. If not, my apologies.

This is Notre Dame College not the University of Notre Dame.

Rogers is an animal. I don't think losing a "barn burner" to Rogers back in high school should be a negative, if anything it's a positive.

What Vak meant by the "incompetence" comment was that Rogers redshirted, a previous poster had implied that Rogers wasn't D1 caliber which is laughable.

I'd love to seem him transfer to D1 if possible. Not many guys win multiple titles in CA, so under most circumstances he would have been prime material for D1, and potentially could have competed right out of the gate. He probably would struggle somewhat at first, like most other freshman. Jason Welch had similar high school credentials to Davis and "only" went 2-2 at NCAA as a freshman. I would have expected Davis to do about the same. I don't know anything about his specific situation, but he is from Compton, CA which is not known for it's public school system, so it's probably safe to say that he's doing the best he can and if he could have gone D1 he probably would have. Although a transfer is possible, I wouldn't be too surprised if it never happens, which is a shame, because he could end up as an endless topic of speculation (remember Marcus LeVesseur?)

I watched an interview with him on Youtube. He's either been very well coached to conduct interviews, or he has put a lot of thought into the decisions he's made thus far. Watching him wrestle reminded me a lot of Alex Meade. Unfortunately, a lot of guys, like Alex, jump at the chance to wrestle at the top 3 or 4 schools, but soon realize there is a lot of comp in the room and the classroom. It seems like he wants to be a student-athlete and Notre Dame was a place where he could do that. I hope he's having fun wrestling and making decent grades in the classroom. I'm sure there are many kids at PSU, OSU, and Iowa that can't say the same.

Guest Hammerlock3
Hammer, are you saying he isn't at a D1 school because he can't hack it in the classroom? If so, I disagree - he is at Notre Dame not some community college. If not, my apologies.

I assumed he couldnt hack it in the classroom, and I am the one who should be apologizing if wrong but i never heard an alternate explanation.

Does he go to the Notre Dame thats like, Rudy, fighting irish so on and so forth? Thats a Div one school right?

I'd love to seem him transfer to D1 if possible. Not many guys win multiple titles in CA, so under most circumstances he would have been prime material for D1, and potentially could have competed right out of the gate. He probably would struggle somewhat at first, like most other freshman. Jason Welch had similar high school credentials to Davis and "only" went 2-2 at NCAA as a freshman. I would have expected Davis to do about the same. I don't know anything about his specific situation, but he is from Compton, CA which is not known for it's public school system, so it's probably safe to say that he's doing the best he can and if he could have gone D1 he probably would have. Although a transfer is possible, I wouldn't be too surprised if it never happens, which is a shame, because he could end up as an endless topic of speculation (remember Marcus LeVesseur?)

Joey did not go to school in COMPTON. He went to school in Santa Fe Springs which has no where near the issues Compton has. Joey grew up with a strong father figure who helped him realize that jumping into D1 academics might prove challenging to him, so they were smart enough to send him to a school that offered a better student/teacher ratio. Something I think a lot of kids and parents overlook and causes them to jump at the big tyme right off the bat and the athlete suffers.

I am a fan of his as of late, but in high school he would just do a few things that didn't sit well with me like at Flo Nationals when he ran people off the mat, or at his subsections (CIF) when he slammed a kid 2x in one match and the kids coach finally told him to stay down.

He has appeared to have matured at Notre Dame and I hope he does what ever helps him continue to grow as a person and an athlete.

Joey did not go to school in COMPTON. He went to school in Santa Fe Springs which has no where near the issues Compton has.

My bad. I was basing that off an interview on Flo where either Joey himself (or maybe it was the Flo announcers) said he was from Compton.