Sign in to follow this  
Tripster

Main opponents for USA wrestlers

Sanderson and Burroughs are in the dumb category because they do the same move over and over. They don't know any throws and do not know par terre very well.

Doesn't know par terre very well? Haha. Try telling that to the Russian world champ who Burroughs leg laced. And perhaps Burroughs single and double legs are more effective and high percentage than throws, which is why he wins with them.

But alas, I'm biting onto your troll too hard

Burroughs is as physical as a horse and has a great single leg/high scrotch shot. That's all.

So Burroughs doesn't have a power double...? You sure are special Tripster. That's by far his most distinctive move especially considering that he can hit it so explosively from his knees and as a re-shot after the opponent gets in bad position from an attack. Does Sharifov rely on a lot of throws? You're the only one in the world who doesn't enjoy watching Burroughs -- the Russians and Iranians are huge fans of his style and highly complimentary of his skills. The fact of the matter is that high percentage leg attacks are an effective strategy.

You're also disingenuous about the conditions under which you enjoy Americans -- you only complain/troll and never compliment Americans. Also you never, not once, mention disappointment with Russians not executing an exciting style (by your standards). For example, Tsargush's style is 10x more dull than Burroughs, fortunately JB brought out exciting matches from him since he had to respond to all the action. Watch his results from 2009 and 2010, the skills are there but I'd rather watch paint dry. Still Burroughs is the problem right? It's a joke that we're still responding to your BS, my apologies to everyone else for further feeding the troll aspect of your posts. Now can we discuss wrestling?

sounds like tennis fans moaning about someone with a dominant serve eschewing the net game.

i love beautiful throws too. seeing the russian wrestlers who grew up on freestyle cut loose is a joy to behold. but watching burroughs or other "boring" leg attack wrestlers win championships can be just as exciting. also some world champion freestyle for life wrestlers can bore me to tears.

oh well, different strokes i guess.

We are different. I like to see a wrestler do a variety of moves and be unpredictable. You are satisfied with a takedown and a W.

I liked Schultz, Smith, and even Randy Lewis much more than today's American wrestlers. Those guys knew moves and throws.

Oh and Kolat was great too.

What elite level wrestler uses a variety of moves. They can use many moves but to be dominant at the elite level in generally any sport you have to do something or 1 or 2 things nearly perfectly. Because, being "good at a variety" of things doesn't work against elite level people.

This goes for baseball, basketball, wrestling whatever ... an all star pitcher generally has 1 or 2 bread and butter pitches that are virtually unstoppable. John Smith low leg attacks were unstoppable, he could have practiced throwing but guess what that means he wouldn't have been able to perfect throwing or low leg attacks, he's wasting cycles. Karelin had his perfect gut which was unstoppable.

The fact is I counter that being good at a variety of things would not make a successful at the elite level, and in fact, you must be simply unstoppable at one thing. And if you look at the top US wrestlers this what they all had. Including burroughs.

I agree that you need a move or two that are your main arsenal and highly effective and usually something with legs BUT you should be able to turn your opponent often or when you need to as soon as you take him down. Also, you should have an arsenal of throws when you are down by a point or 2 late or to end a match early against an easier opponent. Or sometimes you need to be able to catch even a great wrestler with a throw, wow a crowd, give yourself confidence and feel like a champ.

Tsargush is not a very exciting wrestler but he is good in parterre and he doesn't force his shots but waits and looks for a good opportnity. He is not a brute.

There are fun wrestlers. Geduev won Europeans with a 5 point move in the finals I believe. Khubezhty threw Tsargush around. Gerghita today threw the Russian and won while down 6:0.

You are absurd. Burroughs has been wowing crowds and "giving himself confidence" with doubles, singles, high crotches, leg laces, scrambles, pushouts, and more against the best of the best. The guy went right from being a folkstyle wrestler with a VERY different set of rules to a World/Olympic Champ under rules that discouraged US guys from winning. He continues to be undefeated constantly wrestling against any and every competitor from the US or Iran or your beloved Russia. These Russians should have no problem then tossing JB all over the mat with there "beautiful" throws since they spent there whole lives in a disciple that put throws above takedowns and controling your opponent.

You are misguided. Nobody disputes that Burroughs is a champion but how he wins is what is discussed. Everyone is wowed that he keeps winning and doing it with physicality and one move. People are wowed that he looks dominant no doubt. But nobody says man that Burroughs is a professor of freestyle technique.

You are misguided. Nobody disputes that Burroughs is a champion but how he wins is what is discussed. Everyone is wowed that he keeps winning and doing it with physicality and one move. People are wowed that he looks dominant no doubt. But nobody says man that Burroughs is a professor of freestyle technique.

You're being a moron, specifically an inconsistent hypocrite, on this. Burroughs has one dominant move (which btw isn't the move that you cited) but is 50 some wins and zero losses because of his variety of leg attacks. All opponents prepared for the double leg at 2011 Worlds so he adjusted with a beautiful single leg for the majority of his scores. Smith had one dominant move, the low single, and he absolutely was considered "a professor of freestyle technique" by foreigners. You don't like the American style of wrestling, that's fine. I agree that elite wrestlers with the ability to throw and turn from top are very exciting, and some of my favorites, but I'm not so close-minded as to dismiss all contemporary Americans with no exceptions. Your position is too inconsistent and narrow-minded to take seriously. Far too many successful foreigners are boring that you never comment on. You've yet to comment once when a foreigner receives a favorable draw. Also the idea that Burroughs wins with physicality more than many successful wrestlers is absurd. Ketoev or even Fadzaev is a better example of a wrestler who completely out-horses their opponent. Burroughs is very strong and powerful, but he scores with quickness, slickness and timing just as much so. I'm not saying that Burroughs is Fadzaev's equal yet as pertains to technical skill, you're just using such poor examples of your reasoning against Burroughs that it undermines your argument, or lack thereof.

Didn't he score the winning points in the Olympics by leg lacing Tsargush?

I agree that you need a move or two that are your main arsenal and highly effective and usually something with legs BUT you should be able to turn your opponent often or when you need to as soon as you take him down.

You should be able to turn your opponent often from parre terre? Have you EVER wrestled freestyle before? Given 10 seconds in par terre, it's hard to turn someone in the opening rounds of Fargo - and you think Burroughs should be able to turn world-caliber opponents the majority of the time he gets on top of them?

tsargush took tailor by surprise with a trap arm, daved has super technique to tsargush but was out strengthened, daved has the better technique and the nxt time they meet when daved has matured physically things will be diffrent (i GARANTEE it]

You should be able to turn your opponent often from parre terre? Have you EVER wrestled freestyle before? Given 10 seconds in par terre, it's hard to turn someone in the opening rounds of Fargo - and you think Burroughs should be able to turn world-caliber opponents the majority of the time he gets on top of them?

tsargush took tailor by surprise with a trap arm, daved has super technique to tsargush but was out strengthened, daved has the better technique and the nxt time they meet when daved has matured physically things will be diffrent (i GARANTEE it]

Yea, mikey is full of it.

As someone pointed out it his posts look like 2 different people are posting but I think at times he either forgets to log in under his other screen or either has a hard time staying in "mikey" character.

Tsargush turned Daved, Mikey. Thoughts?

Ok, this was the last one, I'm done messing with Mikey, but this was the most fun I've had all day!

Certainly, there's no denying that it's possible to turn opponents in World-level competition - but Tsargush's turn came off a trapped-arm transition from a takedown (as Taylor's turn on Howe in the WTT consi-finals did). At high level competition, the few turns on top that come about are those that are quick transitions from takedowns (ex: Burroughs leglace on Tsargush). Tripster here makes it sound as though a good "champion" (I have no idea how a champion can NOT be good, but hey, Tripster's words) should be able to turn the opponent often when on top, which most of the time is when the bottom man is bellied out and secure in his defense. In all honesty, how many times have we ever seen that happen in World level competition? Not many.

Dude, it's spelled teckneek, get your act together. I am a big fan of the Daved spelling, think I'll stick with that henceforth.