Jump to content
1032004

RTC practices are supposed to be freestyle right?

Recommended Posts

 

This is a cool video, but I noticed that at one point they have "overtime."  Only problem is freestyle doesn't have overtime.  Don't mean to pick on ISU as I'm sure every school does it, but RTC practices sure just seem like ways to get around practice restrictions...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh man those soccer ball games they are playing are clearly not a freestyle technique either.  This RTC is clearly being infiltrated by agents of Premier League Soccer.  Just cause NJDan is in timeout doesn’t mean someone needs to pick up his slack.  

Edited by MadMardigain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

Oh man those soccer ball games they are playing are clearly not a freestyle technique either.  This RTC is clearly being infiltrated by agents of Premier League Soccer.  Just cause NJDan is in timeout doesn’t mean someone needs to pick up his slack.  

I mean I don't think this video is any sort of smoking gun, I just have always thought many RTC's likely wrestle a lot of folkstyle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I mean I don't think this video is any sort of smoking gun, I just have always thought many RTC's likely wrestle a lot of folkstyle.

They were built to cheat so ... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The RTC guidelines state that practice is to be conducted in international styles only. That said, there is so much gray area between RTC practices, club practices, and allowed offseason team practices, that it is just about impossible to say anything is or isn't allowed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Coach Villaescusa at 6:50

I found it, but it looked like a practice with the team.....most RTC practices are with post collegiate elite freestyle wrestlers.  They weren't working on freestyle.....they were just "wrestling" and bonding as a team.

 

Edited by fadzaev2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, fadzaev2 said:

I found it, but it a practice with the team.....most RTC practices are with post collegiate elite freestyle wrestlers.  They weren't working on freestyle.....they were just "wrestling" and bonding as a team.

 

Yeah that’s my point, I think this was a college team workout disguised as an “RTC practice.”  Aren’t there restrictions on coach involvement in offseason workouts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Almost positive that was an RTC practice -

 

So I’m sure if there was anyone there that wasn’t on the team (maybe even if not as long as they were invited) they’re probably in the clear.

My overall point is simply that RTC’s operate in a gray area that I doubt would fly in other sports.  It’s a tough situation because the RTC’s are certainly helping with our international success but I think are flirting with potential NCAA violations. I think one easy change would be to not allow RTC’s to operate on campus (although of course PSU/NLWC already would have a workaround for that).  Another possibility could be to have restrictions on coaches coaching both the college teams and RTC.  That of course would be a huge blow to the RTC system so I’m not sure I’d go that far yet (but for example the whole idea of a “Volunteer Coach” is literally the epitome of the gray area between college teams and RTC’s).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Yeah that’s my point, I think this was a college team workout disguised as an “RTC practice.”  Aren’t there restrictions on coach involvement in offseason workouts?

I'm not sure what the restrictions are in that regard.....rules change all the time.  It's hard to believe they would video an illegal practice.....maybe you can label it an RTC practice and make it OK?????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, fadzaev2 said:

I'm not sure what the restrictions are in that regard.....rules change all the time.  It's hard to believe they would video an illegal practice.....maybe you can label it an RTC practice and make it OK?????

As far as I know, the only limitations involve total time in a week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

As far as I know, the only limitations involve total time in a week.

I talked to a reliable source today, and he thinks they need to be registered with the RTC, but they are supposed to be working on FS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fadzaev2 said:

I talked to a reliable source today, and he thinks they need to be registered with the RTC, but they are supposed to be working on FS.

Yes, but I was more referring to team practices out of season. That's where there are some time limitations.

Edited by gimpeltf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...