Sign in to follow this  
sparkywhite

cael did haines dirty?

Guest Hammerlock3

The article says Cael went to his house in person with the news.....if that isn't integrity I don't know what is.

Guest Hammerlock3

The article says Cael went to his house in person with the news.....if that isn't integrity I don't know what is.

Guest Hammerlock3

Why would he mention that? It wouldn't make him any more honest, it wouldn't help Haines a lick, and I am willing to bet it would would be some sort of NCAA violation.

Guest Hammerlock3
We'll probably never know the whole story. Maybe grades slipped?

Another valid point!

"That is what we were told and [sanderson] ended up leaving,’’ Haines said. “The next morning I see on Flo Wrestling the verbal agreement with Nevills. I will say my son was very upset because it came as a complete shock to him and the family.’’

Does not sound to me that Cael was entirely above board on this, from the quote in the article.

Guest Hammerlock3

HE WENT TO THIER HOUSE AND DID IT FACE TO FACE

Most people do such things via text

This really has been blown out of proportion. I'm not a Cael fan, but just about the only thing I can accuse him of (based on the dads comments) is that he wasn't entirely forthcoming in his reason for pulling the verbal. He obviously had Nevills already, broke the news to Haines, and then everything went public. But even if that's the case, so what? I don't feel Cael is obligated to share his recruiting strategy with every kid who shows interest in the program, and I certainly don't think it tarnishes his "word".

Right.

From the cited article:

"It was on July 1, David Haines said, that Sanderson arranged a visit to the Haines household and opted to renege on the verbal agreement with Thomas."

So he reneged on a verbal agreement. But he did do it face to face. No big deal, right?!

And they call him Saint Cael! :roll:

Guest Hammerlock3

A) No one calls him that. You may have made it up this minute.

B) failure to commit to previous statements is not in anyway the same as lying about past events.

C) Caels Responsibilities to PSU, to field the best wrestling team possible, are in every way equivalent to tacit agreements about future action.

Guest Hammerlock3

PS Destin McCauley renegs on a verbal commitment to a major university three or four times a week, yet i don't recall anyones moral outrage

PS Destin McCauley renegs on a verbal commitment to a major university three or four times a week, yet i don't recall anyones moral outrage

There have been several long threads mocking Destin over that very issue, actually.

Cael was a bit fishy about this whole thing, but I've said from the beginning his responsibility is to put Penn State's best team out there, and if he thinks Nevills is better than Haines long-term, that's the ecision he has to make. That said, there are better ways to go about this whole thing.

Guest Hammerlock3

I apologize for my negligence of McCauly's thread.

What, based on our knowledge should he have done?

Dude, you offered a scholly then pulled it, that's just a d*che, that is actually the anti-thesis of integrity.

I like the article and I think it shows integrity and honor with both the Haines father and son as well as Cael. I'm sure Cael would love to have both Haines and Nevills and let them fight it out but the name of the game is winning national championships with 9.9 scholarships. Handing two full rides out to two blue-chip heavies wouldn't be good for the team's big picture. Cael took the bird in hand verbal from Haines in November and received another verbal from Nevills around the first of July when schollies could be discussed. Obviously Cael prefers Nevills over Haines while at the same time showing due respect to Haines with a face to face discussion of the issue. There's nothing fishy about making tough decisions especially when you take the time to drive out to a recruits home and tell them straight the news that they are likely not going to receive a scholarship. I'm sure Cael would love Haines to walk-on but obviously Haines will receive multiple scholarship offers from other schools and will likely take advantage of those offers.

I can't believe you are giving Cael a pass, can the man do no wrong in your eyes? The guy reneged on an agreement, simply put a better prospect showed interest, that fit more into their time scale of when Heavy would open up.

Come on man ... the guy is a dou che. The Bubba situation should have shown you that. Now, will comprehend that Cael has no problem recruiting over someone.

Well, according to the timeline we have now:

1. November 2012: Haines commits in November

2. July 1: Cael contacts Haines, says he'd like to meet in person.

3. July 2: Cael comes to Haines household, tells them it's a bad fit, won't offer any money.

4. July 3: Nevills commits to Penn State, Haines family finds out via the internet

I mean, you don't think that's a crappy way to handle a situation with a teenager? I think it was headshuck who pointed out that this was a pretty humiliating experience for a kid.

Guest Hammerlock3

Integrity does not mean never changing your mind. You can call him frivolous if you want.

Those of you feigning certainty (acadia) in regards to a situation like this, in which they have no first hand information, and there are a myriad of extenuating circumstances, obviously have an axe to grind.

Guest Hammerlock3

Well, according to the timeline we have now:

1. November 2012: Haines commits in November

2. July 1: Cael contacts Haines, says he'd like to meet in person.

3. July 2: Cael comes to Haines household, tells them it's a bad fit, won't offer any money.

4. July 3: Nevills commits to Penn State, Haines family finds out via the internet

I mean, you don't think that's a crappy way to handle a situation with a teenager? I think it was headshuck who pointed out that this was a pretty humiliating experience for a kid.

Having another kid recruited over him is humiliating? What kind of self esteem movement BS is that? Not to mention the fact that its an absolute non sequitur to the discussion.

I asked you what he should have done and you responded by summarizing what we already know. Thats completely incoherent.

Is it crappy how this played out? Yes but I don't think it's as bad as some are treating this to be. It was only a verbal commitment, there was no scholarship in writing yet, as mentioned in the article that scholly money couldn't be talked about until July 1 anyway. He more than likely felt that Nevills has the bigger upside and was letting Haines know with a lot of time left in the recruiting process that he wouldn't have a spot necessarily at PSU. This gives Haines enough time to meet with other schools and find another fit. I am by no means trying to defend Cael and act as if this wasn't a bit shaddy but it's not like he pulled this next may after paperwork had been signed and schools have already relegated scholly money to big time recruits.