Sign in to follow this  
sparkywhite

cael did haines dirty?

And PS. I love my life. I get to be a course pro at a great golf course, and Im a part time MLB scout in the southwest region. Beautiful wife and kids. If anyone needs luck, it's you. I couldn't imagine all the things that upset you, and have you complaining on a regular basis.

you sound familiar....do you drink Dos Equis?

That actually is my beer of choice lol That is pretty funny.

Look ahead to the following year...Recruiting and production are a tough balance...Folks that do get a free ride better take advantage of the situation!!!

P.S. The PSU "Train" will have options as well as several other programs!!!

With all of that said, the more I am thinking about this, I am not sure what Cael could have done differently.

How about not promising the moon to every high school kid that fancies his eye before the signing period? You can say that you can't blame Cael for doing this, but it might make other wrestlers a bit down the ladder think hard about doing a verbal with PSU when they could lock up a sweet spot with many other top notch schools.

Wow, scribe. "Promising the moon"? You did read the article itself, didn't you, where Haines' father specifically says they hadn't been promised anything (apart from accepting Haines' commitment to attend)? That's just a blatantly false post.

Kind of ironic, too, that a fan of an institution (Cornell) that plays far more fast-and-loose with recruiting (e.g. Mike Grey) and admission (e.g. "gray-shirts") would be critiquing the recruiting tactics of another school. People living in glass houses... and all that.

With all of that said, the more I am thinking about this, I am not sure what Cael could have done differently.

How about not promising the moon to every high school kid that fancies his eye before the signing period? You can say that you can't blame Cael for doing this, but it might make other wrestlers a bit down the ladder think hard about doing a verbal with PSU when they could lock up a sweet spot with many other top notch schools.

Wow, scribe. "Promising the moon"? You did read the article itself, didn't you, where Haines' father specifically says they hadn't been promised anything (apart from accepting Haines' commitment to attend)? That's just a blatantly false post.

Kind of ironic, too, that a fan of an institution (Cornell) that plays far more fast-and-loose with recruiting (e.g. Mike Grey) and admission (e.g. "gray-shirts") would be critiquing the recruiting tactics of another school. People living in glass houses... and all that.

scribe takes many liberties when it comes to hating on anything PSU.

HE WENT TO THIER HOUSE AND DID IT FACE TO FACE

Most people do such things via text

I can't believe you are giving Cael a pass, can the man do no wrong in your eyes? The guy reneged on an agreement, simply put a better prospect showed interest, that fit more into their time scale of when Heavy would open up.

Come on man ... the guy is a dou che. The Bubba situation should have shown you that. Now, will comprehend that Cael has no problem recruiting over someone.

"the guy"

I will (typically) not respond to name calling. It is 'bottom of the barrel communication'. Can we at least make this clear? Is "the guy" that you refer to ......' THE professor' of college wrestling ? Cael Sanderson ?

Cael (or.."the guy"....if you will) the same 'guy' who has done so much to make college wrestling-even more appealing, to even the casual wrestling fan ? So much, he has done so much good for our sport. Clearly one of the true legends of our time.

Yet, here,on this vaunty college forum, a wrestling fan (?) has called the professor "a dou che."

Clever....isn't that simply a clever way to describe the professor of college wrestling ? No, not really. So, bottom line, I believe that you are capable of posting without (neg) name calling.

And.........I rest.

scribe takes many liberties when it comes to hating on anything PSU.

He'll never get over 2011.

Cornell was this "..." close, but still ended up sucking hind ti...

That reminds me of the November 14, 2010 New York Times article, "Wrestling Pendulum Swings Farther East, Toward Cornell."

Although every N.C.A.A. wrestling championship since 1989 has been won by teams from Iowa, Oklahoma or Minnesota — with only 4 of 80 N.C.A.A. championships won from outside those states in history — this season, Cornell is the unanimous preseason No. 1.

Cornell, which finished second to Iowa in last season’s N.C.A.A. championships, is seeking to become just the second Eastern-based team to win the national wrestling title. Penn State won it in 1953.

Ironically, the national title did return to the East when preseason ranked # 6 Penn State eclipsed Cornell, making them the bridesmaid for a second straight year.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/15/sport ... d=all&_r=0

Lets be clear about what we are saying:

'The name of the game is winning National Championships'

'He has no responsibility to anyone but putting the best 10 guys out there to help PSU win a national title'

Cael broke a year long promise to a kid/mislead a 17 year old about his future but it was 'ok because he did it to his face.'

- As a grown man when you make a promise to someone and give your word, you should live up to it! When you get married you make a promise, forever. Not oh or until someone better looking comes along!

- Are these really the message we want to send to our kids? It's not about you, your growth or development as a man, your education, your citizenship; it's about wrestling and winning a national title or hit the road?

I am all for winning but are these not the same qualities we hate in big time college football coaches? It's a shame it happened, we don't know all the details but we can all admit its pretty shady!

Let it go man. At the end of the day Haines and Cael will both survive this little heart break. It's not like Haines doesn't have options. The first things Haines may learn in his BUS101 class are these little two bizfacts:

1. "Business is Business"

2. "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff"

- or -

1. It's not a done deal until the contract is signed.

2. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Guest Hammerlock3

Do my contributions to this topic do anything to dissolve the constant accusations that I have some grudge against Penn State.

The first things Haines may learn in his BUS101 class are these little two bizfacts:

- or -

Ski, do you really mean what this seems to imply, i.e., it doesn't matter what Cael may have promised, until a signed contract was in place? Personally, I'm inclined to give Cael a pass on this on the lack of any real evidence that he actually made any commitment to Haines (verbal, written or otherwise); but if in fact there was a verbal agreement, then that's a different story. Breaking a promise is not "small stuff" in my book.

Please do clarify if I've misunderstood your post.

Let it go man. At the end of the day Haines and Cael will both survive this little heart break. It's not like Haines doesn't have options. The first things Haines may learn in his BUS101 class are these little two bizfacts:

- or -

2. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

I've defended Cael on this subject, but to play Devils' Advocate, I'm going to bet that on Cael's recruiting visits/meetings Cael doesn't tell the parents "this is a business" and that they're child's commitments counts as "small stuff". The opposite, actually.

I understand the value and importance of a verbal commitment and admit that in my attempt at humor I was being a bit flippant with my reply to the post by "mattreturn". I still believe that Haines will be fine and I think we can understand that the situation was probably a little difficult for Cael, and hurtful for Haines. We've all dealt with situations similar to what is a pretty obvious and not all that uncommon recruiting conflict. It happens as much with hiring employees as it does many other things like deciding between two potential love interests. Conflicts happen. As I've posted earlier in this thread I think that Haines and his father both represented themselves with dignity and integrity in the news article. I also think Cael is fighting everyday to do what is right for the team and is sometimes dealt a hand that requires sticky, and difficult decisions. Showing up at the Haines residence and being straight and honest also showed dignity and integrity. I think they're all winners here. Haines will land a scholarship at a good school and Cael is making the decisions that he feels is the best fit for his team. This is not rocket science. It's BUS101 stuff. #winwin

In his shoes, all of you would have done the same.

I doubt it. Nevertheless, all sides will win out of this situation. Sanderson gets the recruit that he wants, and Haines gets to go to a school that values him.

I doubt it. Nevertheless, all sides will win out of this situation. Sanderson gets the recruit that he wants, and Haines gets to go to a school that values him.

Enough said, this horse has been beaten to death #deadhorse.

8 pages on this topic is ridiculous. It reminds me of the kind of bias we see in the media on a daily basis.

Guest Hammerlock3

"It reminds me of the kind of bias we see on a daily basis"

Meaning?

yep crucify cael

he left Iowa State while still on contract...and lied to all those he recruited there...oh wait he took them with him.

Get a life. Cael did the right thing.

coaches leave all the time. coaches change who gets a scholly all the time.

Enough said, this horse has been beaten to death #deadhorse.

8 pages on this topic is ridiculous. It reminds me of the kind of bias we see in the media on a daily basis.

Well ... I Kinda agree, yet remember the pages and pages of Iowa hatred over the years. It's finally Payback Time for the Iowa fans ... So we need to cut them some slack.

Just sayin'

Well ... I Kinda agree, yet remember the pages and pages of Iowa hatred over the years. It's finally Payback Time for the Iowa fans ... So we need to cut them some slack.

Just sayin'

-----

Wire, not having been on the inside of who said what to whom, I try not to be too judgmental.

Cael might've given Haines a certain impression about $$ support that wasn't finalized or guaranteed. Or Haines may have read too much into it. Hard for me to say, and I don't have any great need for "payback."

But you do make a good point about the anti-Iowa pages. Brands couldn't stand up without having whole threads devoted to ripping into him. I guess attacks tend to increase, whether valid or not, when you are on top, as PSU is now.