Sign in to follow this  
jeffr_ideal

Taylor v. Tsargush match

That is exactly what I am talking about. What patience on the feet and in scrambles and mastery in parterre in Tsargush. You don't see that in America much. Take him down and turn once and again. Taylor looked tough on the feet for a while but looked like a schoolboy down on bottom.

Direct link. http://www.youtube.com/embed/tQDbqA8xzT8?autoplay=1

Amazing how Tsargush got out of Taylor's beautiful shot at about 3:13 mark.

Taylor was actually in an equal or maybe slightly better position to start that last scramble. Tsargush just beat him coming out of that. Maybe strength issue, or just more tenacious.

Taylor was actually in an equal or maybe slightly better position to start that last scramble. Tsargush just beat him coming out of that. Maybe strength issue, or just more tenacious.

He may not look like it, but Tsargush is apparently ridiculously strong. When he's hitting on all cylinders, only someone as powerful and efficient as Burroughs is able to neutralize his combination of technique, tactics and athleticism/strength. I don't think Taylor had a good game plan here, but like I predicted he hasn't progressed enough in FS to match someone of this caliber. Tsargush didn't get out of that shot from strength though, it didn't even result in a scramble. The shot looked great but he didn't get any penetration, to be frank not too dissimilar from how Cael's legendary ankle pick looked sometimes during his 2011 Worlds comeback. That's why Burroughs style is so critical (and successful) against the best Russians, eastern Europeans, Iranians, etc -- it's slick and well-timed like Taylor's shot, but most importantly he gets deep penetration immediately and finishes quickly. Even if Dake (and Howe for that matter) even their rivalry with Burroughs, they're going to have to develop that sort of offense to succeed on the international stage.

taylor definitely didn't have a bad showing. they need to let the action go when the shotclock expires. they want action then stop it when they are in the middle of it. taylor was actually in pretty good double ankle position when that sequence was stopped. the second sequence taylor was hurt by folkstyle instincts. the leg needs to come out in fs not go in.

He may not look like it, but Tsargush is apparently ridiculously strong. When he's hitting on all cylinders, only someone as powerful and efficient as Burroughs is able to neutralize his combination of technique, tactics and athleticism/strength. I don't think Taylor had a good game plan here, but like I predicted he hasn't progressed enough in FS to match someone of this caliber.

I think this is mainly an issue of pure strength. Taylor is long and lanky, and not yet filled out. There are still a few guys he can't beat because they are simply too strong for him right now. When his strength catches up to his length, he'll be a lot tougher to handle.

Tsargush supposedly bench presses 420 lbs. (according to coaches). I don't know if that is a product of more time in the weight room or just being naturally freakishly strong, but there are few if any that are that strong at 74kg.

Maybe weight room, maybe genetics. Tsargush looked older, stronger and more experienced. Not surprising since he is older, stronger and more experienced.

Taylor thought he had the advantage in that last scramble, but Tsargush had different ideas. This was a great day for DT. Very positive experience for him.

That is exactly what I am talking about. What patience on the feet and in scrambles and mastery in parterre in Tsargush. You don't see that in America much. Take him down and turn once and again. Taylor looked tough on the feet for a while but looked like a schoolboy down on bottom.

What's beautiful is being 4-0 against a 2x world champion.

I don't agree that strength is the main reason Tsargush swept Taylor like that, Saitiev didn't have a problem disposing of stronger opponents like Tsargush. That level of strength helps sharpen your technique, but positioning, experience and cleaner shots are what distinguish the best from Taylor right now. Not to mention Tsargush has always been excellent in scramble situations, he shut out Askren. Taylor is still in college though, much room for improvement.

2-0, but fair enough. He's 3-0 against Goudarzi, also beating him at the World Cup.

Or maybe Tsargush prior to running into Burroughs was considered p4p one of the best wrestlers in the world and our obsession with unproven guys like Dake and Taylor is a bit unfounded?

As Burroughs said, "Maybe the match was a little too overhyped, it was great for American fans!"

That's just my guess.

Did anyone see Tsargush blow through the Azer Olympic team member in the finals match? Complete dominance and a much easier match than he had against Taylor.

As good as Tsargush looked in this tourney (all techs and not one point scored against him)it's hard to believe he got crushed as bad as he did against Khubezhty, maybe he had a bad day?

Anyone know if there is a chance Russia sends Tsargush to worlds instead of Khubezhty?

He may not look like it, but Tsargush is apparently ridiculously strong. When he's hitting on all cylinders, only someone as powerful and efficient as Burroughs is able to neutralize his combination of technique, tactics and athleticism/strength. I don't think Taylor had a good game plan here, but like I predicted he hasn't progressed enough in FS to match someone of this caliber. Tsargush didn't get out of that shot from strength though, it didn't even result in a scramble. The shot looked great but he didn't get any penetration, to be frank not too dissimilar from how Cael's legendary ankle pick looked sometimes during his 2011 Worlds comeback. That's why Burroughs style is so critical (and successful) against the best Russians, eastern Europeans, Iranians, etc -- it's slick and well-timed like Taylor's shot, but most importantly he gets deep penetration immediately and finishes quickly. Even if Dake (and Howe for that matter) even their rivalry with Burroughs, they're going to have to develop that sort of offense to succeed on the international stage.

You mean you need to have nearly flawless technique in some aspect to succeed at the next level? I mean if you want to be a thrower you better have the best throw in the business or if you have a single it better be the best single in the business?

JB's double or his shots aren't great because of his strength, they are great because of his setup and it comes from nearly any angle at the precise time that te individual is moving due to the setup. Jordan is unbelievably quick but their have been plenty of guys as quick ... it's that his set up and shot is nearly flawless leading to deep penetration.

2-0, but fair enough. He's 3-0 against Goudarzi, also beating him at the World Cup.

I'm pretty sure it's 3-0, WC, and didn't they wrestle prior to Oly's as well?

maybe its just me but i think burroughs biggest competitive advantage is his speed. everyone is strong as hell and conditioned at that level. where burroughs dominates is reacting and shooting faster than anyone else.

you could see that on display in the old scoring system when he would weight until the end of a period and then score at will with his superior quickness. now he's just pouring it on from the start with the new rules. can't wait to see him at the worlds. especially to see how his opponents prepare and defend.

Great match by the college stud. Hard to believe he still has a year left of college and is banging heads with guys like Tsargush.

Taylor looked uncomfortable in that scramble. Those Russians are so unbelievable in their scrambles, and i doubt DT has "felt" someone wrestle like that before with the awkward leverages and what not.