Sign in to follow this  
lowrider

Sooner Redshirts

King of Bing.

I agree. I honestly think it will be closer but the reason I looked it up was because my initial reaction was "wow, Oklahoma could potentially beat Penn State" but when I looked at the actual line-up projections the best I could guarantee was two wins for Oklahoma, and frankly that was being generous. There are a few matches that I could call a toss-up, right now, but man... Penn State looks TOUGH.

Pinnum,

I've got slightly more faith in OU's ability/chance to win a few of the toss-up matches against PSU but I don't disagree with you. It would be a very steep dual hill to climb...Penn State is a monster.

I wonder if OU would perhaps have a better opportunity to best PSU in a tournament format?

Look for freshman Matt Reed to be the starter at 174. He is from Wichita Heights where Kendric Maple is from. Matt beat Taylor Massa at the national high school seniors championship last spring.

Reed beat Jordan Thomas in the finals at Sr Nationals. While an impressive win for sure, Thomas is not quite at Massa's level.

I am an avid Oklahoma state fan but I don't see the advantage of redshirting any of these guys. Patterson did not even AA last year and Rutt has finished 7th. Howe will be coming off knee surgery (I think his second but I could be wrong) and the Lesters are solid but not great wrestlers. The only star at this point is Maples. I think they could get more than two wins with PSU in 2013 but not much more.

I am very glad to see what Mark Cody has done at OU. As an OSU fan, i want both programs contending in the future and it appears Mark has helped turn their fortunes around. Don't get me wrong, I still want to pound them, but OU has a great wrestling tradition that has been lost in the last 15 years. We need all of the power teams andc programs we can get.

I am more of an Oklahoma State fan, but think this move can only help them. All of these kids get another year to mature. You have the potential to have 5 legit AA and or National Champs (Brewer, Patterson, Maple, Howe, Rutt) and with the infusion of young talent, you certainly put yourself in a position to really compete.

Megaludis beat Patterson 7-3. I watched that match rather closely myself and don't remember any questionable calls. That being said ,even if there was one, it wasn't going to reverse a 4 point win.

Also, Megaludis got my vote for most improved wrestler over the course of the season. He seems to be a smart and coachable wrestler and I expect he will continue to make notable improvement.

I am more of an Oklahoma State fan, but think this move can only help them. All of these kids get another year to mature. .

LOL, how much more do they need to "mature"? Howe is already older than the average college graduate. He's won an NCAA title and was runner-up to the Gold medalist at the Olympic Trials. If he gets any more mature he'll be retiring.

I am more of an Oklahoma State fan, but think this move can only help them. All of these kids get another year to mature. .

LOL, how much more do they need to "mature"? Howe is already older than the average college graduate. He's won an NCAA title and was runner-up to the Gold medalist at the Olympic Trials. If he gets any more mature he'll be retiring.

Looks to me like the coaches are putting their athletes in the best possible postion to make a run. YOu have to figure they want all of their dawgs in the fight at once. Howe is coming in fresh off of a knee injury. A year gives that time to heal.

IN the mean time, redshirting the other senior Rutt and Patterson (both All Americans in past years) puts them in the lineup with Howe. Maple and the Lesters will be seniors. And that gives them a tough room for two years. They had a good recruiting class this year and having those guys in the room for two years is certainly better than one.

I think Coach Cody probably knows what he is doing.

I'm not arguing whether it makes sense from a wrestling standpoint. I'm saying it goes against the spirit of COLLEGE athletics, particularly redshirting two years in a row. There should be a rule that once you start college you should have no more than 5 years to compete. At the very least you should not be able to redshirt twice, Olympic redshirt, Ivy style greyshirt or whatever.

One of the awesome things about Howe is that he made the NCAA finals as a true freshman. Give him credit for coming right in and competing. This is going the other way. Forget about college athletics, it goes against the spirit of wrestling to wait other people out and shy away from competition while picking your spots.

To clarify, I have no issue with Patterson or Rutt redshirting, they have never redshirted before.

------

Not to belabor this too much, but Dan Hodge wrestled in two Olympics ('52 and '56) before starting his senior year at Oklahoma. He was several months older than Howe will be, if Howe takes a 2nd RS year and wrestles in 2014.

My take on the age stuff is that for HS, it is definitely an issue, and there are some strict rules which are appropriate. A couple of years ago, CA had a returning champ ineligible for his sr year because he would've been too old.

I think for college, it is less of an issue. If a guy wins matches at the D1 level at 18 or 19 true fr, that is impressive. RSs are available and there are rules, which are reasonable.

So my take is, with Howe....he's had a couple of injuries and he's playing by the rules. A 2nd RS year and wrestling as a 24 yr old sr in 2014 are no big deals.

There should be a rule that once you start college you should have no more than 5 years to compete.

One of the awesome things about Howe is that he made the NCAA finals as a true freshman. Give him credit for coming right in and competing. This is going the other way. Forget about college athletics, it goes against the spirit of wrestling to wait other people out and shy away from competition while picking your spots.

There is already a rule in place that says an athlete only has 5 years to complete his 4 years. The exceptions are for medical hardship (unable to compete) and an Olympic redshirt waiver. Howe, based on what I see (though I have never met him), is not the type to shy away from competition and does not need more time to develop. I do not think he is 'redshirting' but rather taking a year to recover from injury. Could he try to come back and compete this year? Maybe, I dont know. But the reality is that even if last year was not a Olympic redshirt but rather a regular redshirt he, in all likelyhood, would be granted a medical redshirt this year and provided with a 6th year.

Each situation is unique and I am not much of a fan of planned redshirts but in this instance it makes sense for Howe.

Forget about college athletics, it goes against the spirit of wrestling to wait other people out and shy away from competition while picking your spots.

Insert sarcastic voice here: Man that whole being in the finals of the Olympic Trials and giving the Gold Medal winner some of his toughest competition sure is evident of a person that was avoiding college wrestling in order to shy away from competition and picking his best spots. End sarcastic tone.

He is afforded the same redshirt opportunity and Olympic year as everyone else in college end of story. Just because he was well ahead of most of his competition as a true freshman shouldn't cost him those same opportunity. Being he's at a whole new school and with a whole new head coach it could be possible part of the reason he is Redshirt is so he can get his schooling on track and acclimated to the coaching/wrestling situation. Maybe some of the reasoning comes down to a current OU recruit already being at the spot so Howe doesn't just swoop in and take that when Howe already had a redshirt year to burn. maybe the coaching staff felt it was best for the team to ensure everyone had a year to be on the same page with the new move-ins and told them straight up they would probably have redshirt year even before signing. None of these things have anything to do with Howe shying away from anything or picking his sports.

I don't believe that Howe is shying away from anyone. I meant that more from a team standpoint, and that others could use these loopholes in a fashion to duck someone. My point is that you should only get one redshirt no matter what. Howe is a prohibitive favorite to win regardless of 2013 or 2014 and regardless of what weight he is going. I don't think that he personally is trying to duck anyone.

Cody is clearly trying to stack the deck from a TEAM perspective. And Kudos to him, it's a smart thing to do given the rules. But the rules should not allow a guy to redshirt twice, and particularly not twice in a row. Nothing against Howe, I'm a big fan.

Look for freshman Matt Reed to be the starter at 174. He is from Wichita Heights where Kendric Maple is from. Matt beat Taylor Massa at the national high school seniors championship last spring. Kyle Garcia 4-time state champ from Choctaw should start at 125. He is an outstanding baseball player which is why he didn't wrestle freestyle. Patterson also played baseball instead of wrestling freestyle. 184 and 197 should be freshmen who'll take some lickings.

He beat Thomas of Michigan most likely. Massa didn't compete at high school senior nationals.

Still waiting on the Sooner's schedule for this year, noticed that they finally released their 12-13 roster and there are only 16 guys on it. No Howe nor Rutt but Patterson is there, also no 285 on there either.

My guess is they didn't release the roster yet but rather the SID just made the changes on the date and updated the returners info. Probably a sign that it will be coming soon.

Still waiting on the Sooner's schedule for this year, noticed that they finally released their 12-13 roster and there are only 16 guys on it. No Howe nor Rutt but Patterson is there, also no 285 on there either.

My guess is they didn't release the roster yet but rather the SID just made the changes on the date and updated the returners info. Probably a sign that it will be coming soon.

Most likely. Other schools have yet to update their 12-13 rosters as well such as Michigan.

I'm not arguing whether it makes sense from a wrestling standpoint. I'm saying it goes against the spirit of COLLEGE athletics, particularly redshirting two years in a row. There should be a rule that once you start college you should have no more than 5 years to compete. At the very least you should not be able to redshirt twice, Olympic redshirt, Ivy style greyshirt or whatever.

To clarify, I have no issue with Patterson or Rutt redshirting, they have never redshirted before.

JJ ... You would have to convince the NCAA's, and that would be tough .. cause Football has the same situation (minus Olympic RS) ... guys can be around for 5+ years. Fr year RS, injury RS etc ... sometimes up to 6 years.

Plus how are you going to handle the Morman guys??? They can be OLDE by the time they are done with their missions.