Sign in to follow this  
DF

Attention guys thinking of getting married

Don’t do it brosefs.

I’m putting this on the college board because a lot of college-aged guys are probably thinking of popping the question or have already asked for their fair lady’s hand in holy matrimony.

Things change, and not usually for the better, once you recite those vows. She basically owns you and at least 50% of what you own. And divorce laws are heavily biased in her favor. You might as well be the 100kg wrestler not from U.S. when it goes to the judge’s decision in the Olympic finals in the U.S. against a wrestler who is from the U.S. Pre-nups be damned.

It doesn’t matter how well you think you know her, how well you get along, or how certain you are that she’s the one. She will change after she has you. You won’t believe how well a woman can hide her true colors. Right now you think you’re so slick that you’ve got her all figured out. You think you’re always a move ahead of her, that you can counter whatever move she makes. But believe me, she has already planned her counter to your counter move. That’s how slick she is even if she doesn’t let on. Like a foreign wrestler who looks so tired that it seems like he’s gonna collapse from exhaustion, only to hit you with the slickest chain of moves and put a bunch of points on the board. She’ll likewise lull you into a sense of complacency with her sweetness and innocence, making you think you have the advantage. Then BAM! out of nowhere a takedown and a series of turns. Upside down and backwards…the goalie never knew what hit him.

I was once like you. I also got the spiel from married men not to do it. But I didn’t listen. Just like how some (most) of you won’t listen now. But I will say it again because it bears repetition and just maybe one man will be saved: Don’t do it.

I met my wife back in high school in the late 80's. We started dating in 1990, and got married in 2001, and have been happily married ever since. We have 3 beautiful children that have changed my life for the better. Sure it is not a perfect marriage, but who's is? She has always stuck with me through my tough times and loves me unconditionally. She is an awesome mother and wife and I am truly blessed to have her as my soul mate.

Anyway there are some good woman out there.

Get a pre-nup signed you idiot.

Good advice. Unfortunately, even some very smart folks forget/refuse to get a signed pre-nup.

My advice on wives is to be very selective. 27 years this November for me, and I'd marry her all over again.

Get a pre-nup signed you idiot.

Good advice. Unfortunately, even some very smart folks forget/refuse to get a signed pre-nup.

My advice on wives is to be very selective. 27 years this November for me, and I'd marry her all over again.

Absolute condition for me. They don't want to sign one, there's the door.

DF, don't give up. There are good women out there. The problem is men can't can't judge woman. The best way to assess a potential mate is to observe whether she has any close friends [be sure to distinguish between "friends" and props]. If they have no true friends and just hang with their family, chances are the woman is so awful that only her family will put up with her -- and that's because they have to.

Also, take note of how they treat others, like waiters and waitresses, grocery store sackers, etc. My ex was a walking "I'm an Ass" billboard and I couldn't see a thing wrong with her.

I'm was just another sucker, but I got a little smarter -- not much though.

37 here. Single. Never married. No kids. And happier than a pig in ****. I do what I want, when I want, how I want, and nobody can tell me otherwise. I work at a fire department with 105 men who all pretty much say the same thing as you, DF, and that is "Don't do it!!!" Many of them have been down that road, and it ain't as pretty as it first seems.

And even if you get a prenup, which you should regardless of who makes what, it better be a damned good one, from a good, solid attorney who knows the laws in your state, because not all of them will hold up when stuff hits the fan. Be careful out there. Those women are wacky! :D

DF, don't give up. There are good women out there. The problem is men can't can't judge woman. The best way to assess a potential mate is to observe whether she has any close friends [be sure to distinguish between "friends" and props]. If they have no true friends and just hang with their family, chances are the woman is so awful that only her family will put up with her -- and that's because they have to.

Also, take note of how they treat others, like waiters and waitresses, grocery store sackers, etc. My ex was a walking "I'm an Ass" billboard and I couldn't see a thing wrong with her.

I'm was just another sucker, but I got a little smarter -- not much though.

Sage advice, I think. Sounds like you got very smart.

It is better to go through life wanting something you didn't have, than having something you didn't want.

Wrestling season usually did in most of my relationships.

When I was a much younger man I used to tell my buddie who were thinking about getting married to watch the movie "How to Murder Your Wife". Jack Lemmon, Terry Thomas, Jack Weston, and Virna Lisa were the stars. It is in black and white.

I have friends who've been married a long time, others who've been married and divorced 4 times. Then I haveva couple of friends who got married young, got divorced in their late 20s and never remarried.

No one answer for everyone. I have two "ironclad" rules. One i have about 50 questions I want answers too, we don't have to agree on, I just want to know where the "land mines" are. The other date for at least one year. People can be on their good behavior for six months, but by a year their true personality comes out.

There were two I tried to marry they weren't ready at the time, both married later and had long marriages.

So i've never had anyone to stop me from coaching or going to tournament.

I have two "ironclad" rules. One i have about 50 questions I want answers too, we don't have to agree on, I just want to know where the "land mines" are. The other date for at least one year. People can be on their good behavior for six months, but by a year their true personality comes out.

1 year is nothing.

1 year is nothing.

^This cat knows what's up.

1 year, 5 years, 10 years...she can hide her true colors for that much and more. Those colors only show when you put that ring on her and she then knows she's legally entitled to at least half your stuff if you (or she) decides you no longer want to be married for whatever reason. Why do you think so many women gain weight and generally let themselves go after they're married? Because they know they don't have to try anymore. She becomes that wrestler who puts up a whole bunch of points on the board early and stalls it out for the rest of the match.

Thinking a pre nup will save your ass is like thinking the ref wont award that two points when your opponent puts you on your ass, regardless if he turned the corner or not. A pre nup is about as useful as a can of cold spray in the first minute of the match.

If your prenup has teeth and isn't something scrawled out by you on a cocktail napkin at 2am then it should. Get one prepared by an actual lawyer, not a guy who isn't a lawyer but handles legal document preparation. Because if there's no clear who gets what, then prepare to have that harpy take half your s*** even if she didn't lift a finger to help you get it. I was engaged and had a prenup all set and ready. It basically said if we got divorced (the marriage never happened), that she wasn't going to get anything from me and likewise I wouldn't get anything from her. The only thing that would be divided equally were any assets we arrived at while married, joint accounts, that kind of thing. Specifically made mention of keeping both my salary at the time and pension away from her. No alimony from me to her and we called it a day.

You gotta get down and dirty with a prenup, otherwise you're right it won't work. Some girls run when you mention it. They're looking for some poor sucker who'd marry them without a prenup.