Sign in to follow this  
DF

Anybody else fascinated by Lance Armstrong?

Don’t marginalize him because of the doping (almost everybody did/does it on that level of the sport and everybody knows it).

I’m talking more about the man himself. The more I read about this guy the more I’m fascinated by him and what he accomplished. The Tour de France is 2,000 miles long. Just for comparison, the distance across the U.S. is about 3,000 miles. These guys cover that distance in 23 days, a lot of it uphill. If you think wrestling a few matches during a tournament is grueling, imagine doing what is the equivalent of a marathon every day for 23 days straight. Even our most fit wrestlers would look like Jads in OT when it came to the mountain stages.

I’ve been watching a lot of highlight vids of past TdFs he was in and the guy was phenomenal. I don’t think I’ve witnessed a man with more heart and determination than him in any sport. I know this may sound ironic coming from a guy who praises all things anti-heroic, but seriously…the determination on this guy was beyond category…way beyond the Gable/Iowa mentality. There was one vid where he fell not once, but twice, and came back to close the gap on the leader. With other riders it’s usually game over if they fall. I don’t care if you’re injecting jet fuel into your veins, that’s all heart.

I’ve also been following him on Twitter and Facebook, and despite everything that’s happened he still has a 100% positive attitude and still runs and bikes tons of miles per day.

He is an idiot for admitting the steroid use. No matter what anyone ever said there could never be proof he did it. Even if the guy who injected him and others came forward and said they gave him the roids it is his word against theirs. And he could have just pointed to every drug test he ever took (most of which were the most advanced type offered at the time) saying he was negative. How do we not know every single other cyclist he competed against was not jacked up on roids despite any negative test result to the contrary?

Not smart of him to use them in the first place but still. He threw away every tournament win he ever had, smeared all of his ex-teammates/supporters with this stink, and severely damaged the Live Strong Cancer organization's ability to do anything.

He had to in effort to avoid jail time. Johnny law developed a hardon for his testimony and it was a matter of time. He was advised to try to get ahead of that and onto the inevitable lawsuits in front of him. His biggest problem was legal fees in the face of an avalanche of problems brought on by the usada.

Because the Government doesn't have bigger problems than to spend enormous sums of taxpayer money investigating sports rumors. If that was Lances' fear then I can't really blame him. We already saw they have no shame in this regard, look at the time and energy expended to investigate baseball record books.

Any USADA that would go after a retired sports hero & cancer survivor because they think he cheated at a bicycle riding contest years earlier needs to be fired.

This is what I'm talking about:

The epicness starts at 2:15 when "Ecstasy of Gold" starts playing from "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly."

Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Ramirez (also known as The Rat) running through the graveyard vs. Lance cycling up the mountain. From there on you can literally witness for yourself how much more grit this guy has than the rest of the field.

Because the Government doesn't have bigger problems than to spend enormous sums of taxpayer money investigating sports rumors. If that was Lances' fear then I can't really blame him. We already saw they have no shame in this regard, look at the time and energy expended to investigate baseball record books.

Any USADA that would go after a retired sports hero & cancer survivor because they think he cheated at a bicycle riding contest years earlier needs to be fired.

-----

yes, the government should get back to what matters... reading our email and listening to our phone calls

-----

yes, the government should get back to what matters... reading our email and listening to our phone calls

That is a blatantly obvious example of something they shouldn't be doing. Not because it is a pathetic distraction like baseball hearings but because its Orwellian and not Constitutional.

He is definitely an inspiring character. Myself beng a connoisseur of boos and a competitor who thrives on the jeerz and hate from the crowd, I take great pleasure to Mr Armstrong basically giving a big FU to all the haters.

He is definitely an inspiring character. Myself beng a connoisseur of boos and a competitor who thrives on the jeerz and hate from the crowd, I take great pleasure to Mr Armstrong basically giving a big FU to all the haters.

..he basically gave a big FU to himself.

..no integrity and a cheater.

..a great role model.

…a great role model.

If you are trying to be the best in the world at a sport where the best take massive amounts of steroids then likely that is what you are going to do. Not saying its right but I hardly think it's "cheating" when every one of your competitors are doing the same thing. Personally I believe its smarter to commit yourself to a sport where you don't have to take such risks with your health but I'm not going to judge the guy.

A what does it say about all those other cyclists who roided up, used epo, had the oxygen cryo tank whatever, yet Lance still beat them time and time again?

Clearly the guy was special to do what he did no matter what comes out now.

It wasn't steroids, what roids do for you in cycling.

Doping and PED's are general terms it doesn't mean you are on roids.

Finally, in this day and age, bottom line I don't see anyone who is at the pinnacle except for say basketball who isn't doping.

The fact is the belief is if you want to be at the top you have no choice and it's been going on forever.

Even the sanctimony in baseball, it was always known that 40,50,60's, 70's up until the 80's amphetamines were used by players. They perk you up, it's basically, what aderall is. Gives you energy. Look at how many pitches , pitchers threw in the past, you think that was all naturel. It's non-sense.

With that said we need to just get over the doping thing, and let players have at it, and regulate it.

..a great role model.

The guy gave 40 million dollars to cancer research and thousands of hours of his free time, while altering his hematocrit levels by 10%. What a scumbag......

The cheating didn't bother me because everyone did it.

His world was a house of cards. His treatment of people that were in the same boat as him was unconscionable. He aggressively sued people for claiming that he doped. He destroyed people and their lives for telling the truth. He is a a narcissistic scumbag.

LA went into cycling in the late 80s as a teenage triathlete phenom with amazing cycling splits. The culture at that time was that steroids and such were used and tolerated in professional sports in spite of being generally illegal and arguably dangerous. USA Cycling in those days was basically a Frankenstein factory and Armstrong was the star, going on to being the youngest rider to ever win senior Worlds road race in the early 90's. Before his time off for cancer (1995) the realization that entire teams had to dope for competitive advantage had settled into all professional cycling teams on the European circuit, with credible reports that Lance was pushing his Motorola team to upgrade across the board in his team as they were getting blown off the road by other teams. In the late 90's, Festina being busted for large cache's of doping materials in the team cars during the tour was the beginning of the end of this tolerated culture. LA came back to cycling and started killing it shortly after with all of the sophisticated doping programs that all the other teams were doing at the same time.

All things being equal amongst competitors, LA would have won those races clean or not clean. Sure, Lance might have had the most sophisticated program, but he operated every aspect of his race preparation with the same level of detail, so it is not so easy to arrive at someone else being more talented than Armstrong. Lance's early tour wins started out with him using large amounts of EPO before they developed tests. They used smaller amounts of steroids than the early 90's as the tests were tighter for it at the time. As example, he was busted for corticosteroids in '99. Armstrong used a back-dated physician slip for therapeutic use for saddle sores to beat the positive controls penalty. After the EPO testing scare, they switched to analogous blood doping by taking blood out in the off season and storing for reintroduction during the tour stages. EPO was used in small undetectable doses so as to stimulate new blood growth to replace what was being removed and stored for the stage races. EPO and Steriods were used much less in off season training as out of competition testing was introduced in the early/mid 2000's.

The irony after Lance retired the second time, he started racing in the triathlons, and under those conditions had agreed to do a series of races of he didn't have to go through testing. You won't find this in writing, but you also won't find any testing of LA during the races he participated in. So the likelihood that he went back to using large of amounts of steroids for recovery and EPO to turbo boost, was entirely likely. Before USADA brought him down, LA was definitely on his way to throwing down a credible challenge in Triathlon world championships in Kona.

The cheating didn't bother me because everyone did it.

His world was a house of cards. His treatment of people that were in the same boat as him was unconscionable. He aggressively sued people for claiming that he doped. He destroyed people and their lives for telling the truth. He is a a narcissistic scumbag.

..yes.

What do you guys think takes more heart/determination: cycling for miles upon miles up a mountain with the world's most elite cyclists on your heels as fans lining the course cheer for all of you or not letting one of the world's most elite wrestlers turn the corner on you for a sure win in OT as everybody boos you and cheers for him?

Armstrong "destroying people's lives" is the epitome of hyperbole. Look at all the good the guy did and he comes out with way more of a positive impact in this world than anyone else on this board can claim. It isnt as if he stole someones Olympic gold medal with a referees decision for some leg slaps in OT.

It isnt as if he stole someones Olympic gold medal with a referees decision for some leg slaps in OT.

Don't forget the half dozen heroic arm spin attempts in regulation.