Sign in to follow this  
Tripster

A suggestion for Junior Nationals

Since many of young Americans rarely see how they compare to the rest of the World I suggest inviting a couple of National placewinners per weight class from other countries like Iran or Russia or anywhere else with strong wrestling to see how they fare at our Nationals. To avoid them taking an AA place from a hearty American youngster who will be upset along with his parents simply should one foreigner say place top 8 count top 9 towards an AA status.

This way we will know whether our AAs are really comparable to the rest of the World. What say you?

FILA Juniors is up to 20 years old. Most Junior Nationals guys are 17 and 18.

Plus at Worlds only one guy goes and he might end up 0:1 after losing to a Bronze medal guy. That hardly says anything. Here you would have many American HS guys and many foreigners testing themselves and foreigners would not be the best ones but 3-5 placers to test depth of both countries rather than the very best.

Common, it would not bankrupt Russia or Iran or Japan to bring a few youngsters to America.

Maybe Mike Novagratz can open his pocket and hold it in NYC. It would be better than that Beat the Streets joke of a dual meet.

So something like a Junior Dave Schultz.

Yes, I think it would be a nice event other than it wouldn't work as a companion piece to the Senior level Dave Schultz event since that's in February.

There are a lot of these events overseas but nothing here

We have developed less of a need for such a competition with the abundance of events during and after the high school season. While I don't side with many of Trip's ideas I do agree it would be nice for some of our top five high school guys (or underclassman in college depending on age split) at each weight to get a few more chances to face international competition.