Sign in to follow this  
skikayaker

THIS YEAR VS LAST YEAR

What teams improved, took a hit, and project the line-up for your team ???:

Penn State

Wt: Last Year vs This year

125 - Megaludis vs Megaludis (slightly stronger)

133 - Conaway vs Gulibon (slightly stronger)

141 - Pearsall vs Retherford (stronger)

149 - A. Alton vs A. Alton (stronger / AA was injured, should be a more than slightly stronger)

157 - D. Alton vs D. Alton (stronger / DA was also injured, should be more than slightly stronger)

165 - Taylor vs Taylor (stronger / not only because of his FS training but Dake not in the mix)

184 - Ruth vs Ruth (slightly stronger)

197 - Wright vs McIntosh (slightly weaker / MM lost by 1 point to Wright but won't score the bonus like QW)

285 - Lawson vs Lawson (slightly stronger / potentially greatly improved)

With the expectation that returning starters will improve and Gulibon being a slight step up at 133, Retherford being a step up at 141, and McIntosh being a slight step down at 197 this year's Penn State squad looks like a significantly stronger team.

I don't see Retherford as a step up at 141. If he was going 133 I would say yes, but he will be a REALLY small 141 if they throw him out there. He needs a redshirt to get bigger. I was surprised when I saw him last year in person , he is very short.

174 - Brown v Brown - Stronger

"197 - Wright vs McIntosh (slightly weaker / MM lost by 1 point to Wright but won't score the bonus like QW)"

I've watched McIntosh since his junior high school days and like him as a wrestler, but this is not slightly weaker. This is much weaker. A 3 time NCAA finalist and the retunring NC at the weight replaced by a RS Soph that was 1-2 and not close to the podium is going to be a big drop in production.

QW was a certain Top 4 guy at 197 going into last season. The top of 197 clears out going into 2013-2014, and McIntosh has a 2012 NCAA win over the highest placing returning AA (Meeks), but R12 may be more of a target at this point than penciling in slightly weaker at the weight.

I hope my cynicism is misplaced and he proves to be only slightly weaker. But QW was a NC his RS Soph year, as well as a NC his SR year.

That's a wide-gap at this point.

Agree with Old marine....I think the Wright/McIntosh drop-off will be more than "slight." Wright was battling for national champ for 3 consecutive years, and scoring lots of bonus pts. I'm also of the wait and see position before assuming Retherford will be an improvement at 141#.

Other than that, I think skikayaker has it correct, and clearly PSU will be the clear front runner as season starts.

What teams improved, took a hit, and project the line-up for your team ???:

Penn State

Wt: Last Year vs This year

125 - Megaludis vs Megaludis (slightly stronger)

133 - Conaway vs Gulibon (slightly stronger)

141 - Pearsall vs Retherford (stronger)

149 - A. Alton vs A. Alton (stronger / AA was injured, should be a more than slightly stronger)

157 - D. Alton vs D. Alton (stronger / DA was also injured, should be more than slightly stronger)

165 - Taylor vs Taylor (stronger / not only because of his FS training but Dake not in the mix)

184 - Ruth vs Ruth (slightly stronger)

197 - Wright vs McIntosh (slightly weaker / MM lost by 1 point to Wright but won't score the bonus like QW)

285 - Lawson vs Lawson (slightly stronger / potentially greatly improved)

With the expectation that returning starters will improve and Gulibon being a slight step up at 133, Retherford being a step up at 141, and McIntosh being a slight step down at 197 this year's Penn State squad looks like a significantly stronger team.

Id be pretty surprised if they wrestled Retherford. Look for the Beitz guy.

It is interesting, even though Gulibon is better than Conaway, 133 will be SIGNIFICANTLY deeper, so the production may be comparable.

Nico--top 3 (equal)

133 --LOW AA ( improve)

141 --LOW AA (improve)

A.Alton AA (improve)

D Alton AA (improve)

DT --NC with even more bonus (slight improve)

Brown -top 3 (equal)

Ed- NC (not much room for improve)

MM- Mid AA,not much bonus,( big loss)

Lawson--low AA (slight improve)

i got 1 loss

3 equals

6 improves

dont think they will have trouble repeating.

Nico--top 3 (equal)

133 --LOW AA ( improve)

141 --LOW AA (improve)

A.Alton AA (improve)

D Alton AA (improve)

DT --NC with even more bonus (slight improve)

Brown -top 3 (equal)

Ed- NC (not much room for improve)

MM- Mid AA,not much bonus,( big loss)

Lawson--low AA (slight improve)

i got 1 loss

3 equals

6 improves

dont think they will have trouble repeating.

If (big if) that were to happen, I bet that team would break the team point record.

10 All-Americans, choxfan? The only thing scarier than that is the fact that (believe it or not) eight of those ten would be back the following season.

crazy,but best case scenario possible.As always,there will be injuries/setbacks/arrests etc.

I can't say that I disagree with Old Marine Wrestler and VAisforlovers. Although I think MM's win/loss will be impressive he will not go undefeated like QW did, and he will not score nearly the amount of bonus points that QW did.

As a big fan of red-shirting I hope that Retherford uses his as a true freshman. I'd also like to see the train get more out of their lower weight talents by RSing Nico. Conaway and Gulibon could split the 125/133 nicely but if this happens then you change the 125 to weaker rather than stronger.

I believe the way you SUSTAIN a program's winning ways is to calculate what you can give up and still win the national title. Can PSU take the hit at 125 (RSing Nico), 141 (RSing Retherford) and 197 (MM replacing QW) and still win a title? Afterall, PSU will be stronger at all the other returning weights. With the powerhouse points generated by DT and Ruth you can afford to make a few sacrifices and reserve assets like Nico and Retherford for when they're truly needed, like when Taylor and Ruth graduate.

That "Fresh Mountain Air" is Amazing!!!

P.S. Mr. McIntosh has learned from one of the best...That is scary!!!

10 All-Americans, choxfan? The only thing scarier than that is the fact that (believe it or not) eight of those ten would be back the following season.

That "Fresh Mountain Air" is Amazing!!!

P.S. Mr. McIntosh has learned from one of the best...That is scary!!!

I remember when Cael was first looking at the Penn State job, and I was skeptical about the hire because he hadn't done such a great job developing his talent at Iowa State. I've been proven wrong, completely.

Now, back to my other theory, that Cael was never happy at Iowa State...sorry to open up that can of worms!

I can't say that I disagree with Old Marine Wrestler and VAisforlovers. Although I think MM's win/loss will be impressive he will not go undefeated like QW did, and he will not score nearly the amount of bonus points that QW did.

As a big fan of red-shirting I hope that Retherford uses his as a true freshman. I'd also like to see the train get more out of their lower weight talents by RSing Nico. Conaway and Gulibon could split the 125/133 nicely but if this happens then you change the 125 to weaker rather than stronger.

I believe the way you SUSTAIN a program's winning ways is to calculate what you can give up and still win the national title. Can PSU take the hit at 125 (RSing Nico), 141 (RSing Retherford) and 197 (MM replacing QW) and still win a title? Afterall, PSU will be stronger at all the other returning weights. With the powerhouse points generated by DT and Ruth you can afford to make a few sacrifices and reserve assets like Nico and Retherford for when they're truly needed, like when Taylor and Ruth graduate.

I'm sitting in the Long Beach airport, not all that far from where McIntosh went to high school. I'd really like to see McIntosh finish top 3. Certainly because I'm a Penn Stater, but also because he's always been such a great kid.

Regarding Gulibon, is there any way he can make 125? If so, that could allow for a Megaludis RS and Conoway another go at 133. I feel they could get more points at NCAAs with Gulibon at 125 and Conaway at 133 than vice-versa.

I believe Retherford could be competitive out of the gate, but Beitz would probably do as well as Pearsall this past season. Maybe Moss may be able to cover the weight, too.

The Altons will likely do much better than last season, as should Lawson (or Gingrich, they will be pushing each other again).

Brown is at a very top heavy weight but will put up some placement points. Could be a finalist, may push through consi-semis.

Taylor and Ruth will both be looking for the Hodge and bonus throughout the season (and they can likely bonus everyone at their weights - that's not hyperbole, either).

As their 2nd team would be a pretty good dual squad, Coach Sanderson and his staff have a LOT of options.

Success breads success, so Penn State will certainly be tough next year. McIntosh is a great prospect, but he isn't the bonus machine Wright was so I expect a drop off there.

The weights where Penn State improves the most next year are 149 and 157. The Altons will come back strong.

I overlooked Kade Moss in my initial post. After a two year Mormon mission I think he'll be coming in with some maturity. If they decide to RS Retherford AND if he can keep his weight down to 141 he may be the go to guy at that weight unless Beitz or Frey beat him out. Although Frey competed at 149 he has competed at 141 not so long ago. I think the decision to RS Retherford depends on how close the matches are in the room. If they're close, he'll RS, if he dominates they start him.

Penn State's future is looking bright, getting brighter. This is the recent update from D1CW:

Penn State Nittany Lions

2014 Recruiting

Nick Nevills-Clovis, California Projected Weight: 285 LBS

Accomplishments: 2013 FloNational Champ, 2013 California State Champ, 2013 Doc Buchanan Invitational Champ, 2012 FloNational Runner-Up, 2012 California State 3rd Place, 2012 Doc Buchanan Invitational Champ, 2011 California State Champ, 2010 Cheesehead Invitational Runner-Up

Chance Marsteller-Kennard-Dale, Pennsylvania Projected Weight: 165 LBS

Accomplishments: 2013 Pennsylvania AAA State Champ, 2012 Powerade Invitational Champ, 2012 Pennsylvania AAA State Champ, 2011 Powerade Invitational Champ, 2011 Super 32 Champ, 2011 Cadet Freestyle National Champ, 2011 Cadet Greco-Roman National Champ, 2011 Pennsylvania AAA State Champ, 2010 Powerade Invitational Champ, 2010 Cadet Freestyle National Champ

2013 Recruiting

Devon Bentley-Trinity, Pennsylvania (133 LBS)

#41 Garett Hammond-Chambersburg, Pennsylvania (157 LBS)

#71 Cody Law-Forest Hills, Pennsylvania (165 LBS)

#32 Matt McCutheon-Leechburg, Pennsylvania (184 LBS)

Kade Moss-South Jordan, Utah (141 LBS)

#3 Zain Retherford-Benton, Pennsylvania (141 LBS)

PJ Steinmetz-Holland, Pennsylvania (197 LBS)

Oklahoma State

125: Eddie Klimara - Hoping for a big jump.

133: Jon Morrison - Same

141: Julian Feikert - Same

149: Josh Kindig - Drop

157: Alex Dieringer - Same

165: Tyler Caldwell - Same

174: Chris Perry - Same

184: Jordan Rogers - Improve

197: Blake Rosholt - Improve

285: Austin Marsden - Drop

Figuring the big jumps come between the first and second year of starting, and only Klimara having a lot of room to improve in placement that meets that criteria, looks to be roughly the same for the Cowboys this year. Rosholt should improve if only because 4 seniors graduated from the weight. Rogers being a true 184 should be an improvement over Chionuma. Hoping/Expecting good things from Kindig and Marsden this year but big shoes to fill. Caldwell should improve one place, Dieringer hopefully does at least the same. Perry could repeat or could fall pretty far.

OSU has the potential to have 9 AAs this year.

I think Klimara will be a force at 125 and a step up. If he is on his game he'll be a definite high AA.

I totally forgot that Morrison has another year. I think you have to take into consideration the weight adjustment for Morrison last season. I think Morrison can finish anywhere in the top-3.

Feikert was hot and cold last season. If he can become more consistent he will be another definite AA at 141. He has the tools, and he definitely has the coaches and guys like Oliver in the room who are still competing on the senior circuit to help him.

Who knows what Kindig will bring. They'll lose points here as a step down from Oliver but Kindig will score points for OSU.

Dieringer will improve AA this season. Caldwell will produce at about the same rate, and Perry will lose team points for OSU at the big dance as he will not be able to get past Howe. Storley, Brown and Evans are all returning. Not too familiar with Rogers, Rosholt will improve, and although Marsden will lose team points he will earn a lot of points much like Kindig where OSU loses a big point scorer.

I've seen talk of Morrison going up to 141 next year. He was not small at 133 to be sure. I think regardless of where he goes, the other weight will be weak. Dean Heil would likely be the starter as a true freshman if Morrison goes 141. I don't think starting Heil is a good move, but Morrison at a comfortable weight for him definitely shows improvement. I'm not sure who our next best bet is at 133 is, probably Brian Crutchmer.