Sign in to follow this  
tommygun

Steinhaus: Torn ACL

That's too bad. When and how did that happen? Any chance he can make it back for coming season? If not, who would replace him?

Minny has a real murderers' row in the upper weights...Storley, Steinhaus, Schiller, Nelson.... pretty tough group.

This is a real shame because they do indeed have a great murderers row that can put up a lot of points in march but from an individual perspective, this might workout well for Steinhaus. If he is able to get a 6th yr and able to come back at 100%, he has a good shot at an ncaa title as a senior. Let's face it, this coming season is going to be the Ruth show and when he graduates, that opens up the door for Steinhaus to get a title the following year.

Could be a blessing in disguise if he gets a medical hardship/RS out of it.

Steinhaus RS'd 2009-10, AA'd 2010-11 as a RS Frosh, AA'd 2011-12 as RS Soph, Did not AA 2012-13 as a RS Junior.

Getting an additional medical RS this season with Ruth at 184 gives him another season next year to take a legitimate chance for a title, . . . when Ruth is no longer competing.

If Steinhaus' goal is to win a title this injury couldn't have come at a better time.

I don't know if I'll bet on a full year away from wrestling, Steinhaus to come back and win an NCAA title. It wouldn't bother me any if he did, but I've just seen too many other guys have to take a year off because of an injury and then come back not even a shadow of their former selves.

We'll see what happens.

Burroughs had not taken his redshirt yet so when he got injured early in the season, he was eligible to get a medical redshirt. In Steinhaus' case, he took his redshirt already and would be looking for a 6th year; different criteria. Unfortunately, the NCAA does not view the loss of one season of competition due to injury a hardship.

athletes have been able to recovery from acls rather quickly compared to years past.

adrian peterson tore his at the end of the 2011 season came back to start the 2012 season had the best season for a rb ever

iman shumpert tore his in the playoffs same day as derrick rose came back in january, but then again derrick rose did not play the whole season

Mack Reiter had to have been one of the fastest "recoveries" any of us have seen, but he did return too soon and didn't wrestle well upon his return.

Well Mack himself would say something similar, matter of fact he has. I've spoken with him about this and feel that both you and he are too hard on him. Yes, he did place 4th at the BIG 10's, as a healthier Mack Reiter most likely would have won the tournament. However, he still placed 5th at the NCAA's which was a real testimony to just how good he really was. I don't know if a healthy Mack Reiter would have won the tournament or not, but he definitely would have been good enough to. Mack's told me that Jimmy Kennedy, who defeated him three or four times that season was one of the best wrestlers he ever faced. Healthy Reiter pinned Kennedy at the BIG 10's the year before.

You know it pains me to say this but "didn't wrestle well upon his return" would be better suited to describe one of my favorites of yesteryear, Evan Sola of North Carolina. A healthy Sola placed 7th and 6th at the NCAA's and could contend with anyone at 133 lbs. Nagging shoulder and knee injuries caused him to miss too much time off the mat and out of the weight room. As a result he came back for a final year, and while he did win his third ACC Title and have a few solid wins over Top 15 competition, he was no where near where he had been. He went 1-2 at the NCAA's, losing to two wrestlers that I feel strongly the healthier Sola would have beaten. Matter of fact, had he been 100%, he would have been my pick for NCAA champion.

No Gopher fan, but I too have liked Steinhaus since he first hit the college scene. His progression since the beginning of his freshman year has been a treat to watch. I really hope things work out, whether it be a medical redshirt or him toughing it out(which he can do) after a recovery and making it back to the medal stand at nationals.

In a Worst case scenario, in which he doesn't get a medical RS(which is probably unlikely but you never know), and isn't able to recover in time for regionals and nationals, he will still be able to compete at the Senior level in freestyle. At least it is not a career ending shoulder injury like Nickerson and Caldwell had. That would be very unfortunate. They can do amazing things with ACL injuries these days so I'm optimistic that he will be back by seasons end.