Sign in to follow this  
PA-Fan

Haines to...

I guess my last post got deleted.....

If he is going to be an engineering major it is basically down to the two choices he mentioned Cornell and Maryland. Though with Engineering there are only about 50 different types and you can't say one school is better than another - are we looking at Architecture, Chemical, Electrical, Computer, Math etc......

That rules out Lock Haven.

OSU is out unless he never wants to start in my opinion.

Succeeding as an engineer at Cornell is very time consuming and a different world from most of the other majors you see guys on the team pursue. It would be very impressive if Haines is able to do so while also excelling on the mat. I guess he is an outstanding student.

How is Koll gaming the system in this instance? A top recruit became available, I'm sure they'd had previous contact, and he apparently let Koll know he's interested in Cornell. How is this a big deal?

you are correct about the haines situation, but koll is notorious for continuing to recruit guys afters verbals and even NLIs because they don't participate in the program.

Succeeding as an engineer at Cornell is very time consuming and a different world from most of the other majors you see guys on the team pursue. It would be very impressive if Haines is able to do so while also excelling on the mat. I guess he is an outstanding student.

It would be impressive, a feat that Travis Lee completed and Mike Nevinger is currently completing. The benefits of having that engineering degree and a successful wrestling campaign are well worth the time put in!

When Haines verballed to PSU, the other schools he had been talking with the most were Cornell, Maryland, and Ohio State. So it only figures that he'd re-engage them first.

Lock Haven's 141 Dan Neff was Haines' HS teammate. I'm with you guys, major ultimately trumps that. But not a bad reason to listen when LHU calls.

As an engineering graduate myself (and one who also recruits for my employer): PSU and Cornell are about even across-the-board, with Maryland close. Exact major obviously matters. PSU and Maryland offer a few more majors; Cornell offers the big ones except Industrial.

Finger Lakes CC is a significant advantage for an engineering major. I mean that as a positive. Most engineering schools overbook FR enrollment, then use required FR/SO science and math courses as weed-out classes -- first 2 years are a war of attrition. CCs have no need to do this, can focus on teaching. Between HS AP classes and one year at the CC, most of the weed-out classes could be completed before settling in at Ithaca.

How is Koll gaming the system in this instance? A top recruit became available, I'm sure they'd had previous contact, and he apparently let Koll know he's interested in Cornell. How is this a big deal?

you are correct about the haines situation, but koll is notorious for continuing to recruit guys afters verbals and even NLIs because they don't participate in the program.

Oh gotcha. Yeah, I've heard the same re Koll continued recruiting of committed kids. I thought this was specific to Haines.

I'm not sure what is notorious. The Ivies aren't part of that LOI program. Why should they feel restricted by it? Give me a break.

These hints at some shady or notorious business by Koll are laughable.

It's not like they'd get any benefits from being in the NLI program. After all, the NLI program ties the school to the amount of money in the NLI itself, but not a roster spot or anything. Cornell, you may have noticed, hasn't given out a penny in athletic-related aid in a long time, if ever. So, why exactly SHOULD they participate.

BTW, that's an administrative decision not to participate, made by AD Andy Noel, and it applies to the entire school. The basketball team can't participate in the NLI program without the wrestling team participating...

When Haines verballed to PSU, the other schools he had been talking with the most were Cornell, Maryland, and Ohio State. So it only figures that he'd re-engage them first.

Lock Haven's 141 Dan Neff was Haines' HS teammate. I'm with you guys, major ultimately trumps that. But not a bad reason to listen when LHU calls.

As an engineering graduate myself (and one who also recruits for my employer): PSU and Cornell are about even across-the-board, with Maryland close. Exact major obviously matters. PSU and Maryland offer a few more majors; Cornell offers the big ones except Industrial.

Finger Lakes CC is a significant advantage for an engineering major. I mean that as a positive. Most engineering schools overbook FR enrollment, then use required FR/SO science and math courses as weed-out classes -- first 2 years are a war of attrition. CCs have no need to do this, can focus on teaching. Between HS AP classes and one year at the CC, most of the weed-out classes could be completed before settling in at Ithaca.

Thank you for explaining the LHU connection. As they used to sing on Sesame Street, "One of these things is not like the other one..."

Here's another way they're different, that probably got overlooked: Scott Moore is also the only one of the 4 to have the Schalles Award sitting on his desk. (Of course, it didn't exist when Koll, McCoy, and Ryan wrestled, but still.)

OSU is out unless he never wants to start in my opinion.

Actually Kyle Snyder projects as a 197 and Haines projects as a 285. Makes sense given their build, Haines is much taller. Also, for the poster who said Maryland is only school to offer Olympic HWT training partner, OSU has Dlagnev. While he can't train with the collegiate athletes every day, neither can a head wrestling coach. Especially if Simaz is staying around then those are three great options; if not, then the lesser training partners make OSU and Maryland the better options IMO.

If I had anything to do over again, one of them would be to have aimed a little higher on where I went to college. Haines would be making a great decision to attend a college based on its academic merits vs. its wrestling program merits. Not that Cornell is any second rate wrestling school, but out of the best wrestling programs Cornell would be the best academic choice by far. Good for him if he attends Cornell.

^^^ Yes, one of Rob's recent updates had indicated how integral Cam has been to developing talent at FLWC:

"Under the tutelage of the ever watchful and demanding eyes of Cam "Drill Sargent ”Simaz, and his evil side kick Frank “The Nasty SOB” Perrelli, this entire class, minus Jake George and Daniel Choi, spent last year training at the Finger Lakes Wrestling Club. During this year the team learned how to fight, scrape and survive. Each and every one of these guys has paid their dues and now they are ready to enjoy the fruits of their labor. This group of freshmen WILL be competing for a national team championship in the very near future."

I do believe that Cam will be continuing in giving young recruits nightmares in preparation for the rigors of D1 wrestling! :twisted:

It's not like they'd get any benefits from being in the NLI program. After all, the NLI program ties the school to the amount of money in the NLI itself, but not a roster spot or anything. Cornell, you may have noticed, hasn't given out a penny in athletic-related aid in a long time, if ever. So, why exactly SHOULD they participate.

BTW, that's an administrative decision not to participate, made by AD Andy Noel, and it applies to the entire school. The basketball team can't participate in the NLI program without the wrestling team participating...

i wasn't suggesting they should participate in the NLI program. just pointing out that he hasn't made many friends with their recruiting tactics.

i wasn't suggesting they should participate in the NLI program. just pointing out that he hasn't made many friends with their recruiting tactics.

Yes, people hate him so much, they voted him in as NWCA President...I only wish I was "hated" that much! :roll:

Can you name one athlete who had signed a letter of intent who was then recruited by Koll? Because I really can't recall any. And before anyone starts shouting about the whole "Grey Matter", I'll just point out that Koll didn't actively recruit Mark( edit- Mike) Grey so much as Grey wanted to follow Corey Cooperman when he moved on to become an assistant at Cornell.

But has there been any one else I'm not aware of? :?

Yes, people hate him so much, they voted him in as NWCA President...I only wish I was "hated" that much! :roll:

what does nwca president and not liking his recruiting tactics have to do with each other? everyone has to respect the ceo part of the job that koll does. he is incredible at that part and it only makes sense to put your top ceo guy in charge of the nwca. i have overheard several conversations from coaches complaining about koll continuing to recruit. when i was competing in the late 90's early 00's i know of two guys that signed or verballed that ended up at cornell from my school. i learned about it in conversation between two head coaches where it happened to the other coach and our coach followed it up with his exact story. the coaches participating in the NLI don't like it.