Sign in to follow this  
Specops76

Burroughs Competing Next Week

JB tweeted today that he is going to Sochi Russia for a training camp and then off to Armenia for a tournament. Does anyone know what tournament this would be and, more importantly, why would he want to compete in what I assume is a second tier tourney so close to the world championships?

Doesn't the injury risk outweigh the tune up opportunity? I would think this would be a better opportunity for someone like Dake wouldn't it? A chance to cut his teeth on international competition without having to face top tier opponents in every match like a world championship?

Would someone like Tsargush be wrestling in this tourney since he won't be at worlds? Just wondering if anyone knows anything about this tournament.

Kudos to JB for staying active and constantly trying to improve. That is the mentality that has allowed him to progress at record pace. I totally disagree that the risk outweighs the reward. The risk is that he loses an insignificant tournament. The reward is that he gets even better.

I think it's great Burroughs is going to compete in Armenia. I don't think the tournament heightens his risk of injury. He's at risk of being injured every day he trains. It comes with the territory.

What I am concerned about is his new fixed gear bike (those bikes are often called "fixies").

https://twitter.com/alliseeisgold/statu ... 01/photo/1

Fixies are tough to control, especially if they don't have breaks. It looks like his has breaks, so that's good. But still, when you go downhill, the pedals automatically speed up and if you want to slow down you have to fight against them. That's not good when people or cars or other hazards might be at the bottom of the hill. And if you're not used to what it takes to speed up and slow down, they are tough to navigate around things, such as ordinary traffic.

This bike, much more than the tournament, increases his risk of injury.

Wasn't Caldwell's career ended by a roller-blading injury? I hope we don't see something similar with Burroughs.

If you avoid competition because you are afraid of getting hurt, then you are probably doing more damage than good.

I think it's great for him to get this tournament in. One nice little physical and mental tune up for the World championships in September. The travel, getting matches in, timing in, etc. is all good for him. About 2 months out seems far away, but I'm sure it's good for all of his training right now to compete.

Great decision by Jordan!

Time wise, he is virtually a rookie on the international scene, albeit a very accomplished rookie. The more he can compete with top level competition, the better he will get. When all is said and done, what people will remember is how many world and Olympic titles this stud wins.

John and Ben Peterson competed all the time, and lost a lot of matches. Yet they are both remembered for the Olympic gold and Silver they both won in 72 and 76. Keep improving Jordan so you can dominate when it counts!

I think it's great Burroughs is going to compete in Armenia. I don't think the tournament heightens his risk of injury. He's at risk of being injured every day he trains. It comes with the territory.

What I am concerned about is his new fixed gear bike (those bikes are often called "fixies").

https://twitter.com/alliseeisgold/statu ... 01/photo/1

Fixies are tough to control, especially if they don't have breaks. It looks like his has breaks, so that's good. But still, when you go downhill, the pedals automatically speed up and if you want to slow down you have to fight against them. That's not good when people or cars or other hazards might be at the bottom of the hill. And if you're not used to what it takes to speed up and slow down, they are tough to navigate around things, such as ordinary traffic.

This bike, much more than the tournament, increases his risk of injury.

Wasn't Caldwell's career ended by a roller-blading injury? I hope we don't see something similar with Burroughs.

Couldn't agree with you more. Riding a bike is dangerous. They should make them illegal for children and if they are caught riding them they should be forced to play video games.

I also hope Jordan has a helmet on while watching TV, a back brace during his morning bowel movement, and I hope his girlfriend understands when he tells her he must avoid the dangers of cooking and housework.

Josefsmoe, you caught the key point of the "fixie" didn't you?

http://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&pws ... ixie+bikes

Of course I didn't miss his point. Didn't you see what I said, "Riding a bike is dangerous." I'm just glad that the man with the most explosive legs we have seen on an American wrestler, perhaps, ever, has people on this message board shining a light on the flaws in his training. I just hope he is reading this, or maybe he just has the internet and can read how dangerous riding a bike is. I mean it's only fair for me to admit, I once was riding a bike almost like Jordan's and my foot slipped off the peddle on a hill and I got a scratch on my leg that hurt for 15 min. I will never try that again.

Josefsmoe, you caught the key point of the "fixie" didn't you?

http://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&pws ... ixie+bikes

Of course I didn't miss his point. Didn't you see what I said, "Riding a bike is dangerous." I'm just glad that the man with the most explosive legs we have seen on an American wrestler, perhaps, ever, has people on this message board shining a light on the flaws in his training. I just hope he is reading this, or maybe he just has the internet and can read how dangerous riding a bike is. I mean it's only fair for me to admit, I once was riding a bike almost like Jordan's and my foot slipped off the peddle on a hill and I got a scratch on my leg that hurt for 15 min. I will never try that again.

Fixies are dangerous. They are especially dangerous for those who have little or no experience with them. If you don't believe me, try riding one.

So, if this tournament is happening on August 2-4

1. Who are the US team members besides Jordan?

2. Why does the upcoming events section of USA wrestling not list anything under International events? I can't find a word about this tournament outside of the link on this thread.

Once again, wrestling events are the some of best kept secrets there are.

USA Wrestling calendar is for USA Wrestling sanctioned events, not FILA ones. The only thing the FILA site has really ever done well is posted the FILA-sanctioned events. It's on the left side under "calendar" and select Olympic styles.

This is the event the U.S. was going to send Henry Cejudo to, but he never arrived. His coaching staff, however, did.

From this year's event info sheet:

The following teams will participate in the Cup: Armenia, Belarus, Belgium, Bulgaria, Germany,

France, Georgia, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, IR of Iran, Iraq, Russia, Uzbekistan, Greece, Kazakhstan,

Ukraine, Turkmenistan, Italy, Turkey, Poland, Bulgaria, USA, China.

This one isn't really regarded as a second-rate tournament. It's not on the level as the Golden Grand Prix's, but it's pretty legit. Armenia has a very proud wrestling tradition ...

Thanks Jason.

Here is the direct link.

http://www.fila-official.com/index.php? ... 64&lang=en

It does seem odd that USA wrestling is sending our premiere wrestler to a high level international tournament and there is no information about it whatsoever on their site. It seems like a link to the tournament and who else is going would take about 3 minutes of time to post on their site.