Sign in to follow this  
tech_fall

Johnny Football > Kyle Dake

Johnny Manziel defeats Dake in yet another fantasy matchup and wins best male college athlete of the year. Personally I think it should be Dake by a landslide. Congrats to Manziel however.

Hopefully he was sober enough to accept the award.

Johnny Manziel defeats Dake in yet another fantasy matchup and wins best male college athlete of the year. Personally I think it should be Dake by a landslide. Congrats to Manziel however.

Interesting ... Last time I voted Kyle was way ahead ....

Interesting ... Last time I voted Kyle was way ahead ....

Actually tech, it probably should have been Manziel by a landslide, for the simple reason that many, many more people know about him and his athletic exploits than people who know about Dake.

And if I had voted, I probably would have voted Manziel.

Take this however you want, but you would never hear a huge football fan on a football forum say that he would have voted for a wrestler. That in itself speaks volumes.

Actually tech, it probably should have been Manziel by a landslide, for the simple reason that many, many more people know about him and his athletic exploits than people who know about Dake.

What Dake did will probably never happen again. What Johnny did happens every year.

What Dake did will probably never happen again. What Johnny did happens every year.

Freshmen win the Heisman Trophy every year?

agree with wrestlingphish.

Not sure what you meant JTTNo1. Really did not understand it.

Anyway, it seems many wrestling fans are taking this personally.

It was a fan vote. Johnny Manziel is just way more popular among sports fans than any current collegiate wrestler. That should not be so surprising.

No. Win the Heisman. If this were Johhny's 4th now that would deserve best male college athlete.

Why does he need 4 Heismans to win it? Dake didn't win 4 Hodge Trophies. He was the first ever freshman to win the Heisman and did so with an absolutely electrifying style of play in the most popular collegiate sport. If you want to win 'Best Male College Athlete' by a fan vote then that is a pretty good recipe for a victory right there.

Would I have preferred that Dake won it? Absolutely. Do I think that Manziel didn't 'deserve' it? Absolutely not.

I think Manziel and Dake should have a wrestle off for the award.

I don't care if Dake is giving up 35 pounds, I still got him.

I have seen this suggested a lot.

They would both get almost equally pummeled playing in the other guy’s sport.

Also people, consider Manziel’s rushing yards in addition to those 3,600+ passing yards.

Electrifying.

Would I have preferred that Dake won it? Absolutely. Do I think that Manziel didn't 'deserve' it? Absolutely not.

I was referring to the 4 National Championships. But I see your point with the Hodge. I am not implying Johnny didn't deserve it, Only Dake's accomplishment was greater,

Don't you actually need to be a real college student to be the "College Athlete of the Year."

Last time I checked, Dake actually attended classes at Cornell University and Manziel was getting his degree from the University of Phoenix.

Also, Manziel (his team) lost as many times this year as Dake has in the past three.

Don't you actually need to be a real college student to be the "College Athlete of the Year."

Last time I checked, Dake actually attended classes at Cornell University and Manziel was getting his degree from the University of Phoenix.

Also, Manziel (his team) lost as many times this year as Dake has in the past three.

Hofman, it appears to me that you have just insulted all of the graduates and current students of The University of Phoenix, as well as all the graduates and current students of Texas A&M University.

Is that what you meant to do?

Hofman, it appears to me that you have just insulted all of the graduates and current students of The University of Phoenix, as well as all the graduates and current students of Texas A&M University.

Is that what you meant to do?

Isn't Texas A&M in the SEC now? Maybe Hoffman is on to something... :roll:

I have absolutely nothing nothing against either the University of Phoenix or Texas A&M University.

Most fully matriculated students at A&M are not taking 100 percent of their course load online. Therefore, the comment was not directed at them; it was specific to one guy.

As far as those who do take/get their degrees online, the last time I checked, most online colleges don't have athletics programs. Hence, when you make that decision, you do so with the understanding that you lose the ability to be a student-athlete because there are no athletic teams.

So really all I was saying is that you have a guy who's doing the University of Phoenix routine, while also being allowed to play football. In my experience, online courses don't always go at the same hectic pace as the on campus equivalents.

Above all else, it was meant to be a joke to maybe get a chuckle out of people on the board. But, I see how "real student" could have come across rude. I'll admit to bad word choice as a result of emotion.

Hofman19, I just did some quick research on Manziel. His sports background includes having played baseball, basketball, golf, as well as football. In football, he has played the positions of receiver and quarterback, and has significant rushing yards. Knowing this, and even though his collegiate sports career is just football, I have to think that yes, Manziel is a better athlete than Kyle Dake.

I found nothing on his enrollment at the University of Phoenix, and what you state about that is news to me.

Nevertheless, why can’t the wrestling community just congratulate Manziel, and move on?

Kyle Dake has certainly made his own unique and historical sports mark that no one else has. And Dake will continue to inspire people. But must he, or anybody, be everything?

This is a wrestling forum and most people are a little bias, myself included. I have already owned up to the fact that I used poor word choice.

However, in case you are not aware, Manziel is taking 100 percent of his classes online. This is not common among student-athletes. Hence, the University of Phoenix comment was simply a means of suggesting that he is kind of getting the best of both worlds. He gets to be a student-athlete, without having to do some of the stuff very common to student-athletes, such as physically getting up and going to class.

As far as his athletic prowess, I have seen him play and do not question his skills. That having been said, you seem to have gotten so caught up in my poor attempt at humor that you overlooked my real argument, which is that I think Dake is more deserving because of the two, he was the one who was a national champion in 2013 and he was the one who did not lose twice this season.

If Trey Burke had won the Award, I would have less of a problem because he took his team to a national title game. I just find that in 2013, Manziel, despite his impressive stats, had the least overall success. I also am partial to giving it to a senior who will not have another chance. If Manziel had not won it this year, he still would have had three more opportunities.

This is a wrestling forum and most people are a little bias, myself included. I have already owned up to the fact that I used poor word choice.

However, in case you are not aware, Manziel is taking 100 percent of his classes online. This is not common among student-athletes. Hence, the University of Phoenix reference was never meant to be taken literally. It was suggestive of having the best of both worlds; he gets to be a student-athlete without having to do some of the daily things that most other student-athletes do, such as physically get up and attend class.

I have seen him play several times and do not question his athletic ability. However, I do think you are putting too much emphasis on what was meant as a joke instead of looking at my real argument, which is that I feel Dake was more deserving because of the fact that he was a national champion, whereas Manziel was not.

From this same perspective, if Trey Burke had won the award, I likely would have less of a problem with it because his team went to the national title game. Thus, putting aside all stupid attempts at humor, my real issue is that I feel the person who won the award, aside from his impressive stats, accomplished the least in terms of end goal.

Online classes (through that university), does give you a hack of a lot more flexibility in your daily schedule. Many schools are now offering at least a portion of there major coursework online. I would assume at least taking some courses online would become more of a trend for athletes who have to work around travel, weight training, and regular practice times. And for specific athlete or team positions possibly more coaches meetings and film sessions too.