Sign in to follow this  
nom

Guys from out of the blue

1. Marvin Jones 1986 (Jim Bouwman defeated Jones and did not AA)

2. John Lange 1998 (David Wells defeated Lange and finished 7th)

3. Larry Quisel 1999 (Corey Wallman defeated Quisel and did not AA)

4. JD Bergman 2004 (BJ Padden defeated Bergman and did not AA)

5. Dustin Manotti 2006 (Tony Hook defeated Manotti and did not AA)

6. Don Vinson 2012 (Nick Lester defeated Vinson and finished 8th)

The list grows to six. Thanks to novalion for Marvin Jones, and thanks to JT1 for the editing. At this point, only 1/3 of the guys that beat the eventual 3rd place finishers went on to AA themselves. All six finished lower.

Tom Miller - Maryland- 1992

http://lancasteronline.com/blogs/ringsi ... om-miller/

http://www.umterps.com/ViewArticle.dbml ... =207268444

Dan Dennis....beat the returning

NCAA runner up, Joe Slaton, during the 08-09 season for his spot in the starting line up. During that season he became an All American, and won the midlands

Not quite the way it went down. More a case of Slaton losing the spot when he showed up overweight, won K-B and then was humbled by Nick Fanthorpe. Dennis took the spot, ran off 15 of his first 16 matches, including as you note, the Midlands (Connor Beebe, Kennedy, Fanthorpe), and never looked back. Except for a small tournament in Dubuque, Slaton never saw 133 again.

Dan Dennis....beat the returning

NCAA runner up, Joe Slaton, during the 08-09 season for his spot in the starting line up. During that season he became an All American, and won the midlands

Not quite the way it went down. More a case of Slaton losing the spot when he showed up overweight, won K-B and then was humbled by Nick Fanthorpe. Dennis took the spot, ran off 15 of his first 16 matches, including as you note, the Midlands (Connor Beebe, Kennedy, Fanthorpe), and never looked back. Except for a small tournament in Dubuque, Slaton never saw 133 again.

I wish things would've went different for Slaton, but he struggled tremendously in the classroom as well and never saw the varsity line up again. I question how he would have done in 2010 had he been able to wrestle varsity. If you recall he defeated Montell Marion who was the 141 starter 10-5 at the Midlands Championships. He also had a 5-1 victory over Marion the year before, and I don't think those were his only official wins over him. How does a junior Joe Slaton do against a freshman Kyle Dake? As we all know Marion took 2nd that year to Dake.

My bad...by "beating him out" I meant: he won his spot. I did feel a little bad for Slaton, but when Dennis busted onto the scene like he did, I guess it was a little hard to feel sorry for him. Dennis was just such a textbook "Iowa Style" wrestler, not to mention he had an awesome mustache that year, it was hard not to get behind Dennis and not Slaton. I did not know Slaton had issues in the classroom, but I'm sure that didn't help his wrestling out.

I know this is the college board, but this quote from 3x Olympic and 6x World champ Buvaisar Saitiev seems to describe someone he felt "came out of the blue."

"I let this person take me down in the second round. I didn't even know who he was. I had to look him up in the Internet. I think he shouldn't have been in the Olympics at all, he was like a plane fly-by, he flew in, flew out, and he didn't have much to offer. Maybe they fed him something. He appeared, caused havoc and disappeared. Kind of like that Rulon Gardner, but Rulon at least fights there somewhere. That Slay guy disappeared for good. He's not even worth my thoughts. If somebody asks me a question about him only then do I remember, otherwise he doesn't exist for me."

— Buvaisar Saitiev, The Silent Gladiators

I would put Derek Moore in the category. Although he was the #2 seed his senior year, UC Davis had never had an AA and he wrestled a relatively week schedule. After getting taken down, I don't think anyone saw him scoring 17 unanswered points for a TF. May not be considered in this category, but I thought his performance was out of the blue.

1. Marvin Jones 1986 (Jim Bouwman defeated Jones and did not AA)

2. Tom Miller 1992 (Jeff Lyons defeated Miller and finished 5th)

3. John Lange 1998 (David Wells defeated Lange and finished 7th)

4. Larry Quisel 1999 (Corey Wallman defeated Quisel and did not AA)

5. JD Bergman 2004 (BJ Padden defeated Bergman and did not AA)

6. Dustin Manotti 2006 (Tony Hook defeated Manotti and did not AA)

7. Don Vinson 2012 (Nick Lester defeated Vinson and finished 8th)

There are now seven guys who lost in the first round of the D1 NCAA's who went on to capture 3rd place. Three of the seven guys that beat the eventual 3rd place finishers went on to AA themselves. All seven finished lower.

Thanks to tommytechnique for adding Tom Miller to the mix.