Sign in to follow this  
Jefe

Jason Nolf to Penn State

It's too bad NCAA wrestling is not like College Crew where you can enter two boats in the race. I would love to see what the Penn State "B Team" would do at nationals. My guess is that they would definitely be top-10, with a fair chance at top-5.

Some good guys are going to be riding the pines in the near future. They have too much talent. Guys can say "I would have been an AA, but I couldnt crack the lineup"

Good guys are already riding the pines at almost every weight class...

125/133: Conaway stuck behind Mega and Gulibon

133: Nate Morgan/Michael Waters

141: loser of Martellotti/Breitz/Retherford

149: Luke Frey/James English

157: James Vollrath

174/184: Wes Phipps

285: loser of Lawson/Gingrich/Ruggear

Most of the above were state titlists, with all of them placing multiple times.

My guess is that they would definitely be top-10, with a fair chance at top-5.

I'm a huge PSU fan, but that's an absurd statement. The backups would not be top 10.

1. Conaway would qualify for Nationals at 125 or 133, but it's doubtful that he'd place

2. if Retherford redshirts, he might be capable of making it to Nationals. Martellotti and Breitz have some game, but neither has shown anything that would lead an objective observer to conclude that they could qualify for Nationals

3. English, if he stays healthy, might be able to qualify for Nationals. He'd be on the bubble

4. Vollrath very likely would qualify for Nationals

5. there's an outside chance that Gingrich could qualify, though he'd also be on the bubble at best

So even if everything worked out perfectly for the aforementioned (a big if), the PSU B Team would only qualify 5 wrestlers, and of those it's questionable if any would place, though Conaway, Retherford, and Vollrath are the ones that would have the best chance. A team of 3 possible placeholders (again, a very big if), is not going to place top 5, or even top 10, at Nationals.

Wasn't just talking about the current roster...Was talking more about the trend of being able to land almost all of the top PA guys each year, as well as a select few studs from around the country. If it continues, you will start having second stringers that could finish top-10 if not better.

Sorry for the confusion. I reread what I wrote above and it did sound like I meant next year only. Should have done a better job of reflecting that I was talking from a futuristic perspective given recent successes in recruiting.

Yes, there where a lot of trollish comments by the anti-PSU contingent that the Haines situation would reflect badly on Sanderson and hurt PA recruiting...........NOT! :D

I'm not saying it will hurt their recruiting, but PSU getting one new commitment puts to bed the idea of the Haines situation putting some ammo out there against PSU? Wow, a sample size of one commitment.

It's too bad NCAA wrestling is not like College Crew where you can enter two boats in the race. I would love to see what the Penn State "B Team" would do at nationals. My guess is that they would definitely be top-10, with a fair chance at top-5.

I'm sure this is well-treaded discussion territory around here by now, but still an interesting comment.

It would be amazing if teams were allowed to send their top 2-3 to nationals. It would open up the field to a bigger bracket (I think), and probably introduce more possible upsets because great backups would likely get seeded lower due to a limited or non-history during regular season duals. It might prevent a broader range of wrestlers from different schools, though, and I guess it could ultimately limit expansion of the sport if the top guys become concentrated on a small # of schools.

Never mind, scratch the idea! :lol:

My guess is that they would definitely be top-10, with a fair chance at top-5.

How many AA's do they have on the bench? 1? 2?

Not a top 10 team at NCAA's. Not disparaging their depth one bit, it is phenomenal, but let's not get too carried away.

Again, if you apply it only to next year's roster, than I agree the comment is a significant reach.

I was commenting on more of the trend. What I was suggesting is that Cael has become so adept at utilizing every cent of that 9.9 scholarships, that eventually, if continues to have these successes on the recruiting front, you are going to start seeing a lot of AA caliber wrestlers unable to crack the line-up.

While at the moment they may have only 1-2 candidates, I could foresee a point where that number grows to 4-5, if not more. I am not saying it is definitely going to happen (because it's based on the continuance of a small sample trend); more I was suggesting that if it does happen, the "B" team would better than a lot of other school's "A" teams.

I like parity, so I am hoping that it does not happen.

Again, if you apply it only to next year's roster, than I agree the comment is a significant reach.

I was commenting on more of the trend. What I was suggesting is that Cael has become so adept at utilizing every cent of that 9.9 scholarships, that eventually, if continues to have these successes on the recruiting front, you are going to start seeing a lot of AA caliber wrestlers unable to crack the line-up.

While at the moment they may have only 1-2 candidates, I could foresee a point where that number grows to 4-5, if not more. I am not saying it is definitely going to happen (because it's based on the continuance of a small sample trend); more I was suggesting that if it does happen, the "B" team would better than a lot of other school's "A" teams.

I like parity, so I am hoping that it does not happen.

Gotcha, thanks.

Cool ... As far as I am concerned, Cael can just keep stacking those guys up 2-3 deep if he can. The more the better ....

Bye Bye Iowa.

I think Iowa will be fine. I would say a more likely byproduct of PSU's recruitment success would be you saying Bye-Bye to another one of your west coast programs.

Why not Bye Bye Minnesota or Bye Bye Okie State? Kinda weird how much you obsess about Iowa.

This is becoming ridiculously unfair to the other teams. Nolf, Nevills and Marsteller are major additions to what is already the best team in college wrestling. Wow. I think we are starting to see the Gable effect with Cael and his Penn State squad.

This is becoming ridiculously unfair to the other teams. Nolf, Nevills and Marsteller are major additions to what is already the best team in college wrestling. Wow. I think we are starting to see the Gable effect with Cael and his Penn State squad.

It's nice to be excited about a team and the depth, but not every blue chipper produces like you would hope. Look at the Alton's. Andrew is 0-2 in the AA department while Dylan has performed well, but still one AA in two attempts. I think Penn St will be pushed next year and then after Ruth and Taylor leave, you are not going to replace those points ever. Having Ruth, Taylor and Wright is probably never going to happen again unless the stars align perfectly.

----

Being in talent rich PA is an advantage for Cale. But I agree with skikayaker, regarding the "Gable effect" with Cael.

A young Olympic gold medalist quickly getting a coaching job at a major university will be an instant magnet for recruitment. That is exactly what pulled Varner from CA to ISU. It happened with Gable when he started at Iowa, and it has happened with Cael. Smith and Brands have their Olympic/World golds as well, but it is more distant for them.

In that vein, if Burroughs were to hang it up soon, and finish with no international losses, and get named as coach somewhere, it would be interesting to see what talent he could pull in.

In my humble opinion this was a mistake. I don't have all the info he was considering but passing up Stanford is a big big big mistake. People don't quite get how the post college world works if you pass up Stanford for Penn State. Some will disagree but that is my opinion. And I know some of what I speak. Stanford sets you on a different path.