Sign in to follow this  
Jefe

Jason Nolf to Penn State

In my humble opinion this was a mistake. I don't have all the info he was considering but passing up Stanford is a big big big mistake. People don't quite get how the post college world works if you pass up Stanford for Penn State. Some will disagree but that is my opinion. And I know some of what I speak. Stanford sets you on a different path.

No, you're wrong, sorry. If you go to Stanford, but have no desire to take advantage of the academic opportunity offered there, then there is really very little advantage in the "post college world." Simply having a Stanford degree won't get you far if you have a gut major, poor gpa, and spend your summers coaching wrestling camps instead of getting into internships and making the right connections.

The opposite can be said for Penn State, where a student with the right mindset and ability to connect can go much much farther than your average cardinal (especially the average athlete there). Penn State, like the other Big Ten Universities, is actually a very strong academic institution for those who are motivated and take advantage of it.

Also, i'm not trying to say that Nolf fits into either of these categories.

The Nolf commitment tells me that Penn State might be just as tough in the future as they have been in the recent past.

Penn State is a very strong favorite to win the 2014 NCAA Championships. But fans are starting to look at 2015 and beyond as a time to catch back up to Penn State, and maybe pass them. But look at this 2015 lineup:

125 Mega

133 Gulibon

141 Retherford

149 Alton

157 Alton

165 Marstellar

174 Brown

184 McCutcheon

197 McIntosh

Hwt Nevills

That is a lineup that can win the national title.Nolf will replace an Alton in 2016. His commitment tells me Cael can bring in the very best even with limited money. Penn State will be re loading.

Billyhole - how can you say I'm wrong unless you put him in the category you described. If he can get into Stanford and Northwestern, I tend to think he would avail himself to the academic as well as social connections and network Stanford would provide. Yes, you can do quite well through Penn State but the path via Stanford has much higher expected value with less standard deviation. In other words, the risk reward tradeoff is much much better at Stanford.

All that said, different strokes for different folks. There are many paths to happiness. I simply would have advised differently. I'm sure he and his family thought a fair bit about this. I hope it works out well for him.

The Nolf commitment tells me that Penn State might be just as tough in the future as they have been in the recent past.

Penn State is a very strong favorite to win the 2014 NCAA Championships. But fans are starting to look at 2015 and beyond as a time to catch back up to Penn State, and maybe pass them. But look at this 2015 lineup:

125 Mega

133 Gulibon

141 Retherford

149 Alton

157 Alton

165 Marstellar

174 Brown

184 McCutcheon

197 McIntosh

Hwt Nevills

That is a lineup that can win the national title.Nolf will replace an Alton in 2016. His commitment tells me Cael can bring in the very best even with limited money. Penn State will be re loading.

I don't think there's much chance that Nevills will be in the lineup for 2015. He'll be redshirting and one Lawson, Gingrich or Ruggear will be at 285.

Recruiting the top lower, middle and heavy for the 2015 season seems almost perfect. The only minor drawback I see is that it doesn't look like they will be able to RS Marsteller. Nolf can RS behind Alton, Nevills can RS behind Lawson/Gingrich/Ruggear. The train will need a Marsteller right out of the gate unless some of the following 2014 freshman middleweight redshirts materialize:

#41 Garett Hammond-Chambersburg, Pennsylvania (157 LBS)

#71 Cody Law-Forest Hills, Pennsylvania (165 LBS)

#32 Matt McCutheon-Leechburg, Pennsylvania (184 LBS)

PJ Steinmetz-Holland, Pennsylvania (197 LBS)

Not sure what Phipps is weighing now a days, But I would think he would be a favorite for 184 instead of McCutcheon. Am I missing something?

None of us really know, of course. Like someone said above, Lawson or Gingrich can be at Hwt., Hammond might man 165, and Phipps can be at 184. The larger point is that Penn State is reloading. Whomever wins each spot will have to be pretty damn good.

Billyhole - how can you say I'm wrong unless you put him in the category you described. If he can get into Stanford and Northwestern, I tend to think he would avail himself to the academic as well as social connections and network Stanford would provide. Yes, you can do quite well through Penn State but the path via Stanford has much higher expected value with less standard deviation. In other words, the risk reward tradeoff is much much better at Stanford.

All that said, different strokes for different folks. There are many paths to happiness. I simply would have advised differently. I'm sure he and his family thought a fair bit about this. I hope it works out well for him.

Nolf likely believes his best chance for winning the NCAAs (individual and team) is at Penn State.

I live in the Bay Area (in fact, my son was at Stanford's camp a few weeks back) and understand the "value" of a Stanford eduction.

But a successful person will be acheive regardless of where they attend college. In this case, Penn State has one of the larger alumni networks in the United States - which may be very helpful once he looks to embark on a career.

If the work ethic and intellect young Mr. Nolf appears to possess continues to grow, he'll do fine as a Penn Stater (who knows, maybe he ends up going to Stanford or Northwestern to pursue an advanced degree once that time comes?).

125 Mega

133 Gulibon

141 Retherford

149 Alton

157 Alton

165 Marstellar

174 Brown

184 McCutcheon

197 McIntosh

Hwt Nevills

I don't think there's much chance that Nevills will be in the lineup for 2015. He'll be redshirting and one Lawson, Gingrich or Ruggear will be at 285.

For 2014-15, PSU loses Taylor and Ruth.

For 2015-16, PSU loses Megaludis, A. Alton, D. Alton, Brown, and all their current heavyweights.

No doubt DT and ER will be hard to replace (2014), but losing 5 kids through eligibility in one year is also hard (2015). Recognizing there's some untested talent coming in is one thing, but having that talent realized on the mat, and competing for a National Championship is another.

" Recognizing there's some untested talent coming in is one thing, but having that talent realized on the mat, and competing for a National Championship is another."

That could be said of any other top team....

125 Mega

133 Gulibon

141 Retherford

149 Alton

157 Alton

165 Marstellar

174 Brown

184 McCutcheon

197 McIntosh

Hwt Nevills

How do you figure they are a very strong favorite? They squeaked out a national title last year on an underdog victory by QW.

In my humble opinion this was a mistake. I don't have all the info he was considering but passing up Stanford is a big big big mistake. People don't quite get how the post college world works if you pass up Stanford for Penn State. Some will disagree but that is my opinion. And I know some of what I speak. Stanford sets you on a different path.

Flo wrestling has some great recent video of Stanford on their website. The coaches were talking about the difficulty of recruiting East Coast wrestlers and they said the hardest people to convince are the kids parents. I think the parents would love the opportunity to see their kids wrestle as much as possible, going to Stanford does not allow the parents to attend meets on a regular basis.

Having multiple entries per weight class in NCAAs is a valid discussion that needs to happen. It's good enough for track, swimming, tennis, fencing, etc. Why not us?
At first glance I am all for multiple entries per weight class. The only issue that could be considered a negative is that schools like Edinboro or ASU with smaller less funded programs would not stand a chance of becoming a top-10 team at NCAAs.

I like the idea. I think as a limited test the NCAA could allow 13 entries into the conference championships for qualifying. Require that the additional entries have a limited number of season matches (either at some duals or invitationals like the Scuffle where teams can enter multiple entries at a given weight). If I'm not mistaken the Scuffle limits the number of multiple entries to three (not sure). Limiting the number creates opportunities that don't exist now for strong non-starters while not completely steam rolling over the smaller programs.

Multiple entries, yes, but only a single point scorer per weight class. (I wouldn't even require the school to declare the scorer before the tourney.)

Just like at the Scuffle. That would be awesome!

"I think as a limited test the NCAA could allow 13 entries into the conference championships for qualifying."

Why 13? If you want to be like swimming and track, then allow 20.

Your "only issue" is a rather important one, ie- the prospects of the "rich getting richer".

"Multiple entries, yes, but only a single point scorer per weight class. (I wouldn't even require the school to declare the scorer before the tourney.)"

Yep. What if a "non-scorer" wins? Would have to label him unattached or something.

The "Squeaky Wheel got the Grease"...QW underdog is that a cartoon???

P.S. The PSU "Train"!!!

125 Mega

133 Gulibon

141 Retherford

149 Alton

157 Alton

165 Marstellar

174 Brown

184 McCutcheon

197 McIntosh

Hwt Nevills

How do you figure they are a very strong favorite? They squeaked out a national title last year on an underdog victory by QW.

"I think as a limited test the NCAA could allow 13 entries into the conference championships for qualifying."

Why 13? If you want to be like swimming and track, then allow 20.

Your "only issue" is a rather important one, ie- the prospects of the "rich getting richer".

"Multiple entries, yes, but only a single point scorer per weight class. (I wouldn't even require the school to declare the scorer before the tourney.)"

Yep. What if a "non-scorer" wins? Would have to label him unattached or something.

That's why you don't declare the scorer. Team score tallies up the highest-placing wrestler for that team in each weight class (1st, not 2nd).

Having multiple entries per weight class in NCAAs is a valid discussion that needs to happen. It's good enough for track, swimming, tennis, fencing, etc. Why not us?
At first glance I am all for multiple entries per weight class. The only issue that could be considered a negative is that schools like Edinboro or ASU with smaller less funded programs would not stand a chance of becoming a top-10 team at NCAAs.

I like the idea. I think as a limited test the NCAA could allow 13 entries into the conference championships for qualifying. Require that the additional entries have a limited number of season matches (either at some duals or invitationals like the Scuffle where teams can enter multiple entries at a given weight). If I'm not mistaken the Scuffle limits the number of multiple entries to three (not sure). Limiting the number creates opportunities that don't exist now for strong non-starters while not completely steam rolling over the smaller programs.

The NCAA pays the way for wrestlers to attend the NCAA's. Not passing judgment at all on the idea, but no way they will pay for more wrestlers to go to nationals. And if the idea is to keep it at 33 per weight class, the NCAA would not allow the upper echelon teams to take slots (and dreams) from worthy wrestlers from other teams by allowing any team 2 wrestlers in the same weight class. I think the idea is creative, but believe it would hurt college wrestling overall.

Let's not assume all of the best wrestlers are at PSU, Iowa et al and 2nd and 3rd string. There are probably very few examples of a 2nd stringer at any of these schools who would place Top 8. (The most obvious example is the logjam at HWT at Missouri, of all places, a few years ago).

Add the 2nd stringers where they would qualify to the NCAA tournament and those 3 AAs from Appalachian State two years ago are still all Top 10, so I'm not sure this would hurt the smaller schools as much as people think. Plus, Penn State and other schools can only stockpile top talent for so long because 1) there still are only 9.9 scholarships, and 2) top wrestlers will still want to compete in dual meets as much as possible.

Format would probably move the sport to regional qualifiers, also, which I 'm actually for, fan of the EIWA that I am.

Let's not assume all of the best wrestlers are at PSU, Iowa et al and 2nd and 3rd string. There are probably very few examples of a 2nd stringer at any of these schools who would place Top 8. (The most obvious example is the logjam at HWT at Missouri, of all places, a few years ago).

Add the 2nd stringers where they would qualify to the NCAA tournament and those 3 AAs from Appalachian State two years ago are still all Top 10, so I'm not sure this would hurt the smaller schools as much as people think. Plus, Penn State and other schools can only stockpile top talent for so long because 1) there still are only 9.9 scholarships, and 2) top wrestlers will still want to compete in dual meets as much as possible.

Format would probably move the sport to regional qualifiers, also, which I 'm actually for, fan of the EIWA that I am.

I am not sure...

What is to say recruits aren't picking places like Edinboro, Central Michigan, and even the likes of Missouri in their building years when they were able to offer athletes a better chance to get to nationals than possibly sitting behind another starter at one of the traditional powers. Who is to say they won't want to just be one of three national qualifiers at a weight class from the same school? At least then they know they will be surrounded with great training partners.

And who is to say the duals will remain? What would stop programs from focusing more on tournaments where they could get all their national qualifiers matches? This could really hurt the sport.

Though you can argue that Penn State or Iowa adding an additional entrant will still have App State with R12 athletes, it will also bump athletes that were 28th or 30th selected to the championships--often from the smaller programs.

I like the idea of guys having to pick the right program for them. This means the right coach, the right academic program, the right philosophy, and the best chance to start and go to nationals. I have a lot of respect for guys like Ian Paddock, James Vollrath, and all the others who sit the bench and pay their dues while still going hard and staying focused. I think a lot of kids need to do a better job of selecting the right program--it would make our sport healthier.