Sign in to follow this  
Jefe

Jason Nolf to Penn State

Are you serious???

P.S. Maybe you should send them in the right direction...LOL!!!

"I think a lot of kids need to do a better job of selecting the right program--it would make our sport healthier"

The Scuffle model works as a good example where a team can add 3 entries at any weights they choose, and the top scorer/placer at each weight counts.

I'd require a number of matches. Let's say 10. This could separate further the haves from the have not "teams" and that would be the negative. The positive is that the truly deserving "individual" that failed to start can pursue a national title legitimately. Requiring at least 10 matches will keep the teams honest where they will have to run their 2nd guy in place of their 1st guy more than they may like. Also it provides the information necessary for ranking. Furthermore, the 2nd would be required to qualify at the conference and be entered unseeded. This will be their path to the big dance.

Regarding NCAA financing many teams bring several workout partners. Another rule is that any added competitor would be required to ride along with one of those extra spots. The team would have to eat the workout partner spot.

The Scuffle model works as a good example where a team can add 3 entries at any weights they choose, and the top scorer/placer at each weight counts.

The scuffle model works because it is an invitational tournament, i.e., EVERY team can add up to 3 entries if they choose. So long as the NCAA tournament has a limited number of qualifiers, I couldn't support allowing multiple entries from one team at any weight.

Now, if the NCAA tournament was to go back to being an open tournament, that would be different.

Penn's Keystone tournament allows multiple entries. Gives everyone on the team a chance to compete. Good for kids who are not starting a chance to get in at least 2 matches. If anything it's good for the sport because it allows kids who aren't going to start much this year or in their career a chance to compete on the college level. All the kids in the room busting it every day getting their chance to wrestle. Also allows the chance to see most true Ivy freshmen compete who need the early competition or who will not be starting. No greyshirts, junior college prep stars or FLWC future superstars permitted. Only true blue freshmen getting their first real taste of competition. Couldn't help myself with a small dig, hope you all have a sense of humor.

In my humble opinion this was a mistake. I don't have all the info he was considering but passing up Stanford is a big big big mistake. People don't quite get how the post college world works if you pass up Stanford for Penn State. Some will disagree but that is my opinion. And I know some of what I speak. Stanford sets you on a different path.

I'm with you, nom, and this is no disrespect to PSU or its alumni but Stanford is kind of on an entirely different level than the vast majority of universities. No doubt, you'll have to work hard at both schools to get your degree and nothing's a given after college, but to be at a place like Stanford where you're taught and advised by Nobel Laureates and faculty that reads like a who's-who of academia, science, policy, etc. is really something else. Not to mention the kids in the classroom that will push you to do your best thinking. Just having the Stanford brand on your resume is pretty huge, post-wrestling, and will definitely open doors.

I agree OMW that kids who are disciplined and driven as Nolf will be successful wherever they go to school... I'm just saying that Stanford gives you a heck of a way to hedge a bet on your future. :)

On a totally unrelated note: what year did D1 nationals go from an open format to limited qualifiers, and why?

On a totally unrelated note: what year did D1 nationals go from an open format to limited qualifiers, and why?

First NCAA tournament limited to qualifiers was 1971 and that was the only year there were regional qualifying tournaments. Post-1971 they went to conference qualification criteria.

Interesting side-note: In 1971 Greg Surenian of Lehigh did not place at EIWAs but finished 2nd at the qualifier and 3rd at NCAAs.

Some good guys are going to be riding the pines in the near future. They have too much talent. Guys can say "I would have been an AA, but I couldnt crack the lineup"

Many guys had this problem at Iowa for a long time under Gable.

Flo wrestling has some great recent video of Stanford on their website. The coaches were talking about the difficulty of recruiting East Coast wrestlers and they said the hardest people to convince are the kids parents. I think the parents would love the opportunity to see their kids wrestle as much as possible, going to Stanford does not allow the parents to attend meets on a regular basis.

- Parents that don't understand the value of a Stanford education are truly ignorant. Oh but I want to see Jason wrestle in person...ridiculous and sad.

I am all for additional participants in tournaments for wrestling....except the NCAA's. Keep it for what it is in my opinion. Those that are the best on their team since it is a team sport. Plus, wouldn't letting everyone in at the NCAA's essentially kill the red shirt concept?

So your telling me that a east coast parent should send thier kid to Sanford, 2,500 miles away so they can have a faculty member that's classified as " who's who in academia? Which in east coast translation means- Liberal D-bag. No thanks, If I had a son, he would go to Penn St. on a full ride on the wrestling team. Also, that I could see him wrestle all 4 years and have dual meets in front of 6,500 fans, instead of 150. The doors that will be opened if you can win a Div 1 national title, will also pay off big time, as head coaches make at least 100k per year.

So your telling me that a east coast parent should send thier kid to Sanford, 2,500 miles away so they can have a faculty member that's classified as " who's who in academia? Which in east coast translation means- Liberal D-bag. No thanks, If I had a son, he would go to Penn St. on a full ride on the wrestling team. Also, that I could see him wrestle all 4 years and have dual meets in front of 6,500 fans, instead of 150. The doors that will be opened if you can win a Div 1 national title, will also pay off big time, as head coaches make at least 100k per year.

LOL! I won't pressure my kids on where they should attend college but I pray to God they are somewhat spared the liberal indoctrination by our college professors. I say somewhat, only because I'm not even sure there is a college left in this great (not so much anymore but that's for another argument) nation of ours that isn't tainted by the whackos in some way. When you have a William Ayers teaching at one of our Universities, there's a problem there. When you have professors "stomping" on Jesus, you have a problem there as well. Unbelievable that we have these types of turds helping to form our young minds and our society accepts it like it's no big deal. Because of that, we'll get what we deserve...

Rant over... :D

"Which in east coast translation means- Liberal D-bag."

Interesting east coast characterization of Condoleezza Rice...

"I'll go back and be a happy Stanford faculty member," Rice said. "And, obviously, I'll do what I can to help this ticket. But my life is in Palo Alto"

Rice joined the Stanford faculty in 1981...provost in 1993.

Condi Rice is at Stanford. The Liberal D-bags are at Cal-Berkeley.