Sign in to follow this  
Cheap_Tilt

How did your wrestling career finish?

Got pinned with around 10 seconds left in a match I was winning handily until I started to tire in the second period. My opponent closed the gap in the score but I still had match won until I got pinned. And I can honestly say I was so tired I did not fight off my back for one second. I quit. Then later that night after our coach screamed at our team out for a ****ty performance, I quit the team. I was so sick of sucking so much weight anyway. I never regretted my decision. :roll:

Went 2-2 at state tourney my senior year. It was a heartbreaker, being a returning state place winner and 2x region (our state qualifier) champ. I had a decent season but nothing compared to my sophomore and junior year when I was 3 and 4 weight classes lighter.

I had lost 10-3 in the sectional semi-finals to a kid that I should have never lost to. Lost to him out of fear. I beat 5 kids that year, that beat him. Yet he caught me the year before and pinned me in the first period off a bad shot and I was scared to death of him.

In the consolation finals I pinned a guy in the 2nd period for third place that would go on to become a State champion and a DIII All American.

In the same day, my career ended with both a loss that I should've never lost and a win that I probably never should've won.

Weird.

My wrestling career ended 75 seconds after it started.

A few days after finishing up the football season, I went out for wrestling in 10th grade. Coach had us square off for 2 one minute periods. Went up against Mike Mix who was like 27-2 the previous season, loosing in the sectional final. Was scoreless after 75 seconds when I started seeing 3 of Mike. Coach had me go to the locker room to lay down. Went home on the bus and threw up around 10 times after getting off.

I was rushed to the hospital and it was determined that I had received a very bad concussion in the second quarter of our last football game. I still don't remember anything after the concussion except hearing the final whistle and asking my teammates what had happened. They laughed thinking I was joking around lol.

Was told not to participate in sports ( forget for how long ), so I ended up being the team manager and hippie eventually :)

PS...Had always wrestled in intramurals and also in elementary school ( gym coach was a wrestling nut :) ) and I don't remember ever loosing. Coach really wanted me to go out for varsity. Who knows what would have happened :)

cya

Lost my last high school match. :( Had a great match in the quarters against the eventual state champ, came back to advance to the consolation semis, got pinned. Lost again and wound up 6th. Last time I wrestled a match that counted for anything was losing by tech fall at the Sunkist Open 3 years ago.

My last match was state finals at 145. I wrestled another guy from my own league. We were both returning champs and wrestled 5 times that year. I won 4/5 of the matches, only losing the first one 5-4. I majored him 11-3 in the state finals. Never wrestled another actual match again. Went to play baseball in college.

Back in my era, we placed only 4 guys at State. Each year (So., Jr., and Sr.) I lost to eastern Washington guys.. The west side of Washington had a much larger population, yet the East side guys, were tough as nails. My very last match in HS was a 5-4 loss to a former Fargo Champ.

I finished my high school career with torn cartilage in my knee requiring surgery and didn't finish the season. My last two matches were in college wrestling UNA for tOSU at a tournament hosted by Wright State. Finished the tournament 1-1. The guy who beat me needed to win his next match for me to continue in wrestlebacks. Transferred to ODU and didn't compete. Decided I'd rather graduate and move-on.

Interestingly I had a hard time watching wrestling for about 10 years after ending my career because I always thought I should be out on the mat and not in the stands. Finally, as I got older and never competing again became obvious I became more of a fan and enjoy going to as many college events as possible.

Won 6-1 in an old timer's tournament about 3 years ago...my opponent was 11 years younger than me....up at 193 lbs on an old (what should weigh normally) 160 lb frame. Took a lunger for a whole minute smack dab in the middle of a 3 minute match. Could barely get to my feet, and withdrew after that due to my satisfaction and my hugely sprained middle finger. I was 48 at the time.

That was my last match, before that it was a fiasco in 1989 wherein I died once again in the match, after leading a very good opponent. So I "get" to retire on a win.

my senior year of college I was easily winning my first round match at D1 nationals and with about 30 seconds left we fell out of bounds and I separated my shoulder. I finished the match and then defaulted out in the second round. I had Garel in the next match the year he won nationals.

My sophomore year I was winning my second match 8-3 and lost 11-8. I had Greg Johnson the next round. This was the year he won his 3rd title so I missed 2 national champs.

This topic should be titled "The older I get, the better I was."

High School: Finished up my career with a win. While it was heartbreaking losing in the semis for the third straight year after coming into the state tourney ranked no. 1 all three years, I am still proud that I picked it up my senior year (knowing I would never be state champion) to place third - again.

College: I ended my wrestling career after never breaking into the starting line-up by getting taken down and ridden on a daily basis by Dustin Manotti and Travis Lee.

Senior year I lost my last match at regionals 4-3. My knee at that point mostly held together with athletic tape. I remember it as one of the most depressing days in my life. 2 days later, I was in for surgery.

Strangely, my last match before that was the best match I ever wrestled; I was up against a kid who had beaten me during the regular season, and I won by superior decision (this was before the current "tech fall" designation). At one point early in the match my knee popped and the coach threatened to pull me off the mat; I just got up, hobbled back to the center, and wouldn't even look at him until the match was over. Probably that was the only time I wrestled with that kind of anger!

Interestingly I had a hard time watching wrestling for about 10 years after ending my career because I always thought I should be out on the mat and not in the stands. Finally, as I got older and never competing again became obvious I became more of a fan and enjoy going to as many college events as possible.

Not surprising, I've heard this from a number of others - and I was also about 20 years out of college before I really became a college wrestling fan. It was just hard to watch when you wanted to be out there.

My career ended when as a high school senior I first lost in the semi-finals of the diocesan (Catholic) championship to a guy I probably should have beat, then clobbered a guy I had wrestled numerous times and took 3rd (out of 5 guys! LOL) The guy I lost to then lost in the finals to my nemesis, who I had never beaten. Did I sabotage myself to avoid meeting my nemesis in the finals? Maybe - still haunted by that possibility 45 years later.

But I am a much gutsier college wrestling fan!

Both my high school and college career ended with a win. In high school, my last match was for 3rd place at the state tournament. I got beaten pretty bad in the semi finals and took it hard. I'm proud that I got third. I remember walking off the mat after the semi's and being so upset that I would never win a state title and just wanting to default down to 6th place. Of course now I'm glad that I trucked through and see that as a motivator in my life. I work hard remembering how tough it was to not get something I needed, but also that I know I can bounce back from something hard. College was bittersweet. I ended up on a win, but knowing it was over was really hard. I know a lot of people don't get to end on a high note, so I'm grateful. I spent a long while wondering what to do with my time and energy, but thankfully I found some nice outlets and things I'm equally passionate about. Sorry for the 'glory days' story but its a great topic and feels good getting it out there!

I actually threw my final bout. It was kind of a strange situation. The day before the post-season tournament that was the NCAA qualifier for us, I dislocated my ankle at practice. The trainer taped it up and I was entered, but my left leg was totally immobile. I couldn't push off, barely could move it.

In the first round I wrestled a kid I had hammered during the regular season, but my 2nd round bout was to be against the kid that went on to win Nationals that year. I had lost to him by 2 points during the season, but didn't figure to do as well wrestling him on one leg.

I had given up a total of 3 back points in my entire career - JrHi, HS, College - the last back points when I was in 10th grade. Never been pinned. I didn't want to let go of that stat.

I guess I wanted to maintain that record. So when I caught the kid I was wrestling in the first round on his back, before the ref slapped the mat I let him up. It was one of those spare of the moment decisions. I just decided to lose rather than face the national champ on one leg.

Geez, I still don't know whether or not I made the right decision. I really thought I had a shot at the guy before I was injured. But on one leg? No shot.

My high school wrestling career ended with a JV District championship. I did not place as a sophomore or as a junior. I won two varsity matches that year and lost three. My sophomore year I was in a varsity tournament and won a match 5-4, so my overall varsity record was 3-3. I still showed up to high school practices for the next 6 years or so just so that I could roll around and help coach the jv squads. Now I am 42 years old and pretty far removed from the sport.

I've been a member of this forum for a while and very rarely post but anyways, I started wrestling my freshman year of high school and wrestled all four years. My high school career ended with my senior year losing in the round of 12 in the consol's. The night of losing that match, I had sworn that I didn't want to wrestle again due to that loss as a senior. I got a call a couple of months later from a coach to wrestle in college and jumped at the chance. I was red-shirting for my freshman season there but got pulled out of it right after coming back from Christmas break that year due to one guy dropping down to 184 and another being kicked off the team. I won a few matches that year and had a lot more fun that season then I had, had in my two previous seasons in high school. My father passed away during the summer between my freshman and sophomore year right before I was to return to school for my fall semester. I also found out I had torn the meniscus in my knee that required surgery so I got that fixed and returned home to help out with my mom at the end of that semester. I helped for a little while at my old high school, even entertained the thought of helping coach there, and got an offer this past season to be a head coach at a local middle school but decided that I didn't have the time and wanted to be a fan instead. Now I'm about to start my senior year of college finally after transferring a few times and changing majors quite a bit but I'm happy with where I'm at working full time and going to school full time now.

In high school I ended up placing third. I had never placed going into my senior year mainly just chocking at state the previous two years. My senior year though I was wrestling well losing to the returning champ and an eventual three timer in sudden death overtime. I beat the returning runner up at a holiday tournament and solidified myself as a contender. I win my first round match without even really breaking a sweat, but due to the eventual champion and the runner-up I beat earlier that year coming from the same district they were cross bracketed at state so I had the guy I had beaten earlier in the year in the quarters.

We were tied with about 30 seconds left and we were on our feet. He shot in and as I sprawled my left middle finger dislocated on his arm and was making a 90 degree angle. I fought the take down off going towards the edge, but as we went out the ref saw the finger and instead of stopping it for injury time awarded him the take down then called it out. My coach questioned it while I popped my finger back in and the ref said he would have scored anyways so why penalize the other kid. We restarted with about 10 seconds left i got out got on a leg but had no grip in my hand to pull it in. I was done for the night, but remember sitting in the back not having any desire to wrestle the rest of the tournament. My coach came over and said " Adversity is the true test of a man. Your left hand is probably useless for the rest of the tournament and you lost. It's time to show you can take third with one arm tied behind your back". I came back the next day and that is essentially what I did. I wrestled with one hand and won four matches (all by one point or overtime) to come back and eventually beat a pretty good St. Ed's kid for third. I am still glad I was able to come back as I think it taught me a lot about dealing with adversity.

In college I was a four year starter at a D2 school making it to nationals as a junior. My senior year I tore my peck and labrum in my shoulder during a practice the first week of the season. Rather than redshirting (senior year and was ready to move on to real life) I decided to finish the year. I didn't go with the surgery because it would have essentially ended my year so I rehabbed like crazy and made it back with a few weeks left in the season. I was never right, I had a few good wins (eventual D3 runner-up) but some bad loses too. At regional I ended up losing my go to match to a kid I had beat earlier in the same tournament. I remember looking back just thinking how different it could have been if i had just redshirted. In the end though it worked out. I came home got a job got to coach my little brother his senior year and now I am a head coach. Looking at this post I have completely rambled on, but I think this may be the first time I have ever looked back at my career as a whole and written it down to actually see. It really makes you think.