Sign in to follow this  
meloserio

Riley Adamson

Does anybody know what happened to this young man? A youth wrestling phenom, he won six consecutive triple crowns and was a two-time national prep champ for former prep powerhouse Bishop Lynch in Texas. He committed to Duke and according to their website was last on the team in the 2010-11 school year and still had at least two years of eligibility left. I know at least one of his brothers wrestled for Duke as well. Is he hurt? Did he redshirt? Did he find another passion in life?

I wish him well but this could be another kid who was too good as a youth. I have seen many who win everything before college and winning came very easy. Once they get to the college level, their workout partners are better and they find themselves getting beat in the room and in open tournaments as freshman. Because they had won everything as a kid, they aren't used to being a backup or going 0-2 in tournaments. After a season of this, they quit and find something else to do in the winter. Very few can win everything as a kid and keep it going through the Olympic level.

Riley suffered a career ending neck injury while in college during his redshirt freshman year. He is still at Duke and is involved in producing his own music

It's good to hear he found something else to keep him moving. As greenmt. said, it can be a rough smack in the face for those phenoms when they get to college. Not saying this is what happened to Riley, but all of a sudden going up against grown men who truly love the sport and are just as strong and fast, if not more so, can lead to burnout and injuries. I wish Riley well.

On a side note, what the heck happened to Bishop Lynch? I know they had something of a "sugar daddy" when their ASSISTANT coaches were Kenny Monday and Kendall Cross and they were finishing runner-up to Blair at Preps every year. But they were nowhere to be found this year up at Lehigh, and I want to know where their money was coming from and where it went?

Riley suffered a career ending neck injury while in college during his redshirt freshman year. He is still at Duke and is involved in producing his own music

It's good to hear he found something else to keep him moving. As greenmt. said, it can be a rough smack in the face for those phenoms when they get to college. Not saying this is what happened to Riley, but all of a sudden going up against grown men who truly love the sport and are just as strong and fast, if not more so, can lead to burnout and injuries. I wish Riley well.

On a side note, what the heck happened to Bishop Lynch? I know they had something of a "sugar daddy" when their ASSISTANT coaches were Kenny Monday and Kendall Cross and they were finishing runner-up to Blair at Preps every year. But they were nowhere to be found this year up at Lehigh, and I want to know where their money was coming from and where it went?

I believe it was the Silver family that footed the bill for several years. They've all graduated. (Could be the Ashmores but same issue).

I wish I could remember who this was but about 20 years ago another HS phenom kind of disappeared to play guitar when he got to college. Never sure if an injury was the cause. And don't think it was Kjeldgaard. He was a 150 pounder or so.

Yeah, gimpetlf, as I remember it the team was mostly filled with Ashmores, Silvers and Adamsons during their big run, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was a combination of those three families. My father wrestled for Lehigh in the early 80s and he always tells me about how one of the fathers at Beth Catholic paid for the team to go to whatever tourneys and camps the kids wanted to go to. It's no surprise the teams like that are stacked, who wouldn't want their kids to have that opportunity on someone else's dime.

Well it isn't valid since he broke his neck very early in his career. We'll never know what could have been potentially

I think the guitar player you were referring to was Jacob Newby. His bio from twenty best wrestlers

12. Jacob Newby (Oklahoma)

Slick and quick, Newby's only place in Fargo was at the top of the podium. Although he won Cadet Nationals after his freshman year, it was his big upset of defending champion Chad Renner in the finals of Junior Nationals after his junior year that really vaulted him to stardom. The following year, Newby not only repeated in dominating fashion as Junior Nationals champion at 154 pounds, but also won FILA Junior Nationals (20-and-under age group), defeating Marcus Mollica, who would go on to win NCAA's the following spring.

After finishing fourth in the NCAA's as a redshirt freshman, Newby gave up wrestling to pursue a music career.

I think the guitar player you were referring to was Jacob Newby. His bio from twenty best wrestlers

12. Jacob Newby (Oklahoma)

Slick and quick, Newby's only place in Fargo was at the top of the podium. Although he won Cadet Nationals after his freshman year, it was his big upset of defending champion Chad Renner in the finals of Junior Nationals after his junior year that really vaulted him to stardom. The following year, Newby not only repeated in dominating fashion as Junior Nationals champion at 154 pounds, but also won FILA Junior Nationals (20-and-under age group), defeating Marcus Mollica, who would go on to win NCAA's the following spring.

After finishing fourth in the NCAA's as a redshirt freshman, Newby gave up wrestling to pursue a music career.

That's right. Newby.

Thanks.

Bishop Lynch was an interesting experiment. Outside of the wrestling room at Bishop Lynch very few people in the city of Dallas knew what was happening and how strong the team was. Pretty sure it was the Silver money that made the team go. Having two Olympic gold medalists in the room as assistant coaches sure helps a program.

I was talking to my daughter's boyfriend who attended Bishop Lynch and he thought that they just stuck to themselves and had no idea that they were considered some of the best high school wrestlers in the country. It seems that Riley Adamson was one of the last classes that were very good and the program will probably move back to average. I know Case Garrison was in the area and worked out with the wrestlers and coaches of that team quite a bit, but moved to Ohio (I think it was St. Parish Graham) to finish high school. Not sure if that was because he did not want to go to Bishop Lynch or he did not think he could improve there. I see that there were two Fargo champions that live in Highland Park Texas that go to different high schools and Allen Texas has become a powerhouse team as well.

Apparently you can rise pretty fast with great coaching, but you need a strong base to perpetuate a great wrestling program. Allen seems to have the ability to do something on a national scale, but maybe they will fade like Bishop Lynch did after the element that got it competitive moves on.