Sign in to follow this  
nom

Predict the next American Gold in Men's Freestyle

OK computer warriors --- who will be the next American to win a Gold Medal in Men's Freestyle at Worlds / Olympics .... excluding Burroughs and Varner.

How confident are you? Answer this part by answering the following --- how much of your net worth would you bet? If you win, you get back QUADRUPLE the money you bet. If you lose, you lose the money you bet.

Answer in terms of percentage (not dollar amounts -- we don't need to know how much you are actually worth). I would expect many would put down things like 0.01% and that is fine. Just trying to gain levels of confidence here.

If more than one American wins gold in mens freestyle at a particular world championship, consider that to be at that same time, and both win. So, if you want to make bets on more than one person, feel free.

I for one am very uncertain and wouldn't be willing to bet much at all ....

I would probably say Dlagnev might be the best shot at Gold outside of Burroughs or Varner. But I certainly would not wager money on it because in international wrestling, crazy things happen.

What the heck, I'm going with crazy things happening.

I think it's Metcalf's time. Yes, I know 66kg is loaded, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Metcalf medal this year. (Ok, gold to fit your post.)

I see Metcalf having the best chance besides Burroughs, maybe Tervel.

Hope our other guys pleasantly surprise us.

Dlagnev.

Bergman is wrestling great domestically, but has had a relatively poor season internationally. I don't like saying it, cause JD is a cool guy from what I've seen. Hopefully, he turns it up at Worlds.

getting 4:1 odds and not setting a time limit, i might make some low level bets on Dake or Taylor, on a championship when Burroughs retires or if he takes a year off or, knock on wood, because he gets injured. for the next WC in Hungary, sounds like the consensus is Dlagnev or Blanc (after Burroughs) but i dont know if either gets 4:1 odds.

someone posted a thread on the potential odds of the current team medaling in Hungary. i dont remember it off hand and i'm not too well versed on the international scene but would like to hear some of the experts thots.

I'll go for left field and pick Jesse Delgado at 55kg. I know he's not one to do the FS scene right now, but he has 3 years to get there and his style reminds me of a little guy's Jordan Burroughs. Outside of him, maybe Stieber (assuming he improves and makes the team) or Dlagnev/Bradley at HWT. I can see our other middle weights medaling, but not winning out right based on competition.

Quentin Wright...I think he will be our man at 84k if he continues to wrestle and I think he was tailor made for freestyle. I know this one is kind of out there, but I just don't see Dlagnev or Bergman putting Winning a world title....medal threats, yes. I wouldn't bet anything on it though

I don't think we have any gold medal winners besides Burroughs at the next world championships.

I think that the next gold medalist after Burroughs will come out of this group.

Jesse Delgado

Logan Stieber

Kendric Maple - He's moving to 149 to prepare for international freestyle after this year

Jordan Oliver

Kyle Dake

Quentin Wright

Tyrell Fortune

There is rumored to be a new set of weight classes within the next year. Depending upon how many and what the weights are will have a major impact. With only 7 weight classes you have such a large spread between classes that too many guys are "tweeners". I remember my Army buddy Len Kauffman commenting when they went from 8 to 10 weight classes after the 1968 Olympics. He'd wrestled at 171.5 which he said was perfect for him in the 1966 World Championships. He won the OW at the AAU in 1969 which was still the big USA freestyle tournament then at 180.5. Internationally, he would have been just a little undersized. That is my main concern for Jordan Oliver, Brent Metcalf wore him down at the trials. Metcalf was obviously bigger and his size was an advantage in countering Jordan's early takedown attempts, then using his size to wear Oliver down so that he could easily go behind him. If the new weight class was about 140 instead of 145.5 I've favor Oliver over Metcalf.