Sign in to follow this  
MrWonderful

College Rules Migration

I haven't been following the boards of late and generally don't get too actively involved in discussion, so forgive me if this has been brought up (perhaps multiple times) already.....is there any serious discussion to start migrating the rules towards the international style? Where would that start, with the NWCA?

If not, there really should be. There is a lot of talk and t-shirts about 'save olympic wrestling', but I believe we need to show our full support with committed actions. We want to be the best in the world and participate on an Olympic level, then we should promote that style from youth on up.

I know people will get on here and argue about how folkstyle is better, etc. But that is really besides the point. Other people will point out how terrible FILA is, etc. but how can we expect to have real influence if our entire community doesn't support the international style.

Curious about the subject and others thoughts.

In the US and apparently even in Russia (see Inside Russia on Flo), even the biggest freestyle tournaments do not attract fans. To the contrary, the NCAA (folkstyle) tournament sells out, and many other tournaments and big-time dual meets attract thousands of fans.

If wrestling-rich Russia can't even sell tickets to their meets, I don't know what good switching to freestyle would do. I know personally that without our great American-grown style, my interest in wrestling would drop off considerably.

To the contrary, if the international style became American folkstyle, I think you'd see many more senior-level clubs, tournaments, and dual meets pop up around the US, many more athletes competing into their early 30s, and a much bigger fan-base for senior-level competition.

why would you suggest changing a perfect sport? the rules, schedule and even tournament scoring system have all been perfected. thats why the sport is growing and you see it on tv all the time. all the cool kids in high school sign up to participate and expensive, complicated sports like lacrosse are a dying fad.

to even suggest altering this perfect sport even one iota is pure lunacy. i dont even know why you brought it up.

/yes all sarcasm

//sorry, very cranky today. will try to remedy with rapid infusion of caffeine.

In the US and apparently even in Russia (see Inside Russia on Flo), even the biggest freestyle tournaments do not attract fans. To the contrary, the NCAA (folkstyle) tournament sells out, and many other tournaments and big-time dual meets attract thousands of fans.

If wrestling-rich Russia can't even sell tickets to their meets, I don't know what good switching to freestyle would do. I know personally that without our great American-grown style, my interest in wrestling would drop off considerably.

Russia is huge, don't forget that. The distance from Dagestans (Russias wrestling hotbed) largest city to Kraysnonark is nearly 3000 miles. Having nationals in Siberia is going to hurt attendance, as would having NCAAs in Alaska.

If the NCAAs are in Anchorage or Fairbanks, Jim Gibbons says 10,000 will still show up. Now Nome might be another story. Russia has a huge wrestling tradition, but wrestling wasn't as well funded as other sports under the Soviet Union, I don't know about now. Face it wrestling is too tough for 95% of the population, and isn't a made for TV sport. Basketball and Football are great to watch on TV. Baseball isn't as good on TV as it is in person.

The only reason the NCAAs sell out every year is fans follow their schools. They don't follow wrestling specifically. Only the Olympic trials sell out. The only time I saw a full crowd for a freestyle dual meet was at ASU when the USA beat the Soviets for the 2nd time ever in a dual meet. About 10,000 attended. My girl friend went because the USA was wrestling the Soviets, not because she liked wrestling. She certainly didn't attend the ASU duals with me.

If USA Wrestling wants to develop a fan following for freestyle and Greco, I suggest the following.

Have the regional training centers wrestle a dual meet before the varsity dual for the school where a regional training center is located. When Ohio State hosts Penn State have the Ohio Regional Training Center wrestle the Pennsylvania Regional Training Center from State College wrestle each other in a dual meet. Then you'll market it as Ohio versus Pennsylvania. I guarantee you that will draw in people who aren't die hard wrestling fans.