Sign in to follow this  
klehner

Yet another Yianni thread (weight-related this time)

Yianni will be wrestling 65kg at the U23 championships in mid-October, and again (as per Mike Grey email today) at the Coralville World Cup on December 10.

Cornell's schedule has the Bearcat Open on 11/13, Wisconsin dual on 11/19, the CKLV on 12/2-3, and the National Duals on 12/19.

Does he wrestle Wisconsin/CKLV at all?  Drop to 141 or go as a "light" 149?  Skip them?

When does weight certification start?

What will he be like if he is 65kg on 12/10 and wrestles 149 nine days later?  At National Duals, if Cornell meets Penn State, that might be Shayne Van Ness.

59 minutes ago, jchapman said:

I don't see him dropping to 141, that would be a much harder cut than 143 with morning weigh ins (and I think the World Cup has a 2KG allowance?). 

If there is a 2kg allowance, then making 147 wouldn't be an issue for him.  Thanks!

2 hours ago, Scorenomore said:

I don’t think a world silver medalist should be worried about a first year starter. 

Logan Steiber was not worried about Zain Retherford. Now, maybe Van Ness is not to be worried about by such an accomplished guy as Yianni, but I'd get a kick out of a Zain like upset special. 

I wouldn’t have him wrestle any MFS schedule until trials. I’d let him take off the first half of folk season and have him wrestle himself back into reasonable shape by nationals with a focus on peaking for worlds. 

The only reason he did as well as he did at worlds this year was a full year at 149. He wouldn’t have the necessary physique if he spent anytime with 141. 

2 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Logan Steiber was not worried about Zain Retherford. Now, maybe Van Ness is not to be worried about by such an accomplished guy as Yianni, but I'd get a kick out of a Zain like upset special. 

Logan was sick with the flu when Zain beat him. Logan destroyed Zain every time after. So yes, if Yanni gets the flu, Shane has a chance. 

31 minutes ago, Scorenomore said:

Logan was sick with the flu when Zain beat him. Logan destroyed Zain every time after. So yes, if Yanni gets the flu, Shane has a chance. 

Don't forget the, according to Tom Ryan, long bus ride and average refs that also helped Zain beat Steiber. 

10 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Don't forget the, according to Tom Ryan, long bus ride and average refs that also helped Zain beat Steiber. 

Was Stieber a Medalist going into the season?  I am pretty sure he won his Gold Medal over 2 years later.  But, hey, you are entitled to your POV...

1 hour ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I bet he doesn’t go to U23s. What’s the point? He’s a senior silver medalist now. He’ll never wrestle an age group tournament ever again.

No way he goes 149. Makes zero sense for him or the team to go 141. 

Exactly on the u23. If he goes u23 I have serious concerns about his handlers (coaching). 

34 minutes ago, nom said:

Why does it not make sense to do U23?  Good competition. Good experience.  His long term goal is high level FS success.  

He fails to medal? Is already past what would logically be his peak condition. Stalls his ability to recover and build once again for peaking towards senior worlds season.possible Injury. 

18 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

* NEWS BREAK*  Penn State wrestler once upset heavily favored wrestler, Penn State fan would enjoy that happening again with two different wrestlers

1 hour ago, scribe said:

Exactly on the u23. If he goes u23 I have serious concerns about his handlers (coaching). 

3 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I bet he doesn’t go to U23s. What’s the point? He’s a senior silver medalist now. He’ll never wrestle an age group tournament ever again.

No way he goes 149. Makes zero sense for him or the team to go 141. 

It doesn’t matter , he came out right away after U-23 trials and said right away he was taking the spot ( and was kind of a douche about it) …and I doubt yianni has any handlers , grey isn’t going to rock the boat , yianni will do whatever he wants this year 

12 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

* NEWS BREAK*  Penn State wrestler once upset heavily favored wrestler, Penn State fan would enjoy that happening again with two different wrestlers

Just now, ionel said:

SHOCKING!!   but good to know.  :)

What would be the bigger upset ,

freshman Zain over Logan

Senior Cassar 2x over Gable 

Van ness shocking the world and beating yianni? 

9 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

freshman Zain over Logan

Can't speak for Vak but I'm going with Picc pinning Spencer Lee.   

And just to support Vak's post above I'd enjoy seeing Young pin Woods and Surber pin Warner in this year's dual. 

I'd expect Vak will also view this as SHOCKING!  

:)

Edited by ionel

8 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

freshman Zain over Logan

Definitely Van Ness over Yianni, but all three were surprising.  We had seen Stieber come close to losing multiple times in his collegiate career, including some suspect (Oliver) and what people feel were suspect (Ramos, N. Dardanes) calls.  Gable was surprising because of the hype of Gable coming in, but it's still senior vs. freshman.  I would probably rank them:

1.  Yianni-Van Ness

2.  Cassar-Gable

3.  Zain-Logan

It's hard not to be colored by hindsight, though.