Sign in to follow this  
klehner

Yet another Yianni thread (weight-related this time)

3 minutes ago, ionel said:

Can't speak for Vak but I'm going with Picc pinning Spencer Lee.   

And just to support Vak's post above I'd enjoy seeing Young pin Woods and Surber pin Warner in this year's dual. 

I'd expect Vak will also view this as SHOCKING!  

:)

What's a Surber?

6 hours ago, MSU158 said:

Was Stieber a Medalist going into the season?  I am pretty sure he won his Gold Medal over 2 years later.  But, hey, you are entitled to your POV...

No, he was a 3x defending champ in folkstyle though, so roughly the equivalent to Yianni in collegiate style.

1 hour ago, VakAttack said:

Definitely Van Ness over Yianni, but all three were surprising.  We had seen Stieber come close to losing multiple times in his collegiate career, including some suspect (Oliver) and what people feel were suspect (Ramos, N. Dardanes) calls.  Gable was surprising because of the hype of Gable coming in, but it's still senior vs. freshman.  I would probably rank them:

1.  Yianni-Van Ness

2.  Cassar-Gable

3.  Zain-Logan

It's hard not to be colored by hindsight, 

but I’d put bubba pin David Taylor as #1 

(what was the topic?)

17 minutes ago, scribe said:

I can’t believe USA wrestling doesn’t provide more guidance with respect to conditioning to peak and nutrition for the top level senior wrestlers. You can bet Russia and probably Iran are getting it 

They actually provide a bunch of resources for free or not that hard to get. Coaching, practice planning, technique and nutrition. And guys have put a bunch of it out on YouTube. Most people either ignore or don’t know about it

2 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

What would be the bigger upset ,

freshman Zain over Logan

Senior Cassar 2x over Gable 

Van ness shocking the world and beating yianni? 

I am surprised so many say Cassar over Gable.  I just don't think they thought that back before Gable turned into what he is now.  Back then, it looked like man vs a bit out of shape boy. Granted, a very talented, bit out of shape boy.  But, the gap was very visible. He looked to me like he got big brothered both times against Cassar, while also gassing in the 3rd both times.  

Editted to add for context:  Even Gable came out in multiple interviews talking about how he wasn't working near hard enough that season and needed to transform his routines and inevitably, his body...

Edited by MSU158

John Fisher

Children : John, Current Position : Teacher/Coach Ann Arbor Schools Since 1990, MHSAA State Champion & Graduated from Flint Northern High School 1984, 1989 Graduate of and Wrestled at the University of Michigan with 183 Wins (career win record), 2 time Captain/University of Michigan 1988 and 1989, 4 time All-American University of Michigan (top 4, all 4 years), 3 time Big Ten Champion (3-1-1-1), Junior World Champion 1984, 4 time Midlands Champion, 2 time Olympic Alternate, World Cup Champion (freestyle), U.S. Open Champion (freestyle), Midlands Hall of Fame, Michigan Wrestling Association Hall of Fame, Greater Flint Area Sports Hall of Fame 2010, Greater Flint Area Afro-American Hall of Fame 2012, Last American to beat John Smith (6 time World and Olympic Champion), Last American to beat Tom Brands (World and Olympic Champion/3 X NCAA Champion

15 hours ago, MSU158 said:

Nope.  Try again.  Eventually you will get something right...

Yawn. Ok, in 3rd of 4 title years. Still roughly the equivalent college record of dominance as Yianni. That was the point, but you knew that.

Edited by TBar1977

On 9/22/2022 at 7:15 PM, TBar1977 said:

Logan Steiber was not worried about Zain Retherford. Now, maybe Van Ness is not to be worried about by such an accomplished guy as Yianni, but I'd get a kick out of a Zain like upset special. 

how do you know he wasn't worried about retherford? Or is that just some dumb stuff you made up to fit your lame narrative.